By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

ItsaMii said:
Ajax said:
Dude if you hate Crisis Core, then it's clear that that's not Square's fault, but your fault.

If you like FF 7 CC, you probably would buy anything with a SE or FF 7 logo on it. That game is garbage. It wasn`t even worth a rental. It is short, linear, retardly easy and relies too much on nostalgic factor. Music, characters and settings are almost all recycled from FF7. The extra missions are some of the shittiest sidequests since FF XII. There are 7 or so different locations and all you have to do is kill the boss(es). It doesn`t matter what is written is the description (capture, seize, investigate, retrieve, eliminate) they all play the same. Without the sidequests, it is a 9-10 hour game. It will reach 45 hours with all the sidequests, but it is not quality time. It is pretty clear they added those annoying and repetitive sidequests to artificially prolong the game.

That was realy harsh, dude. The game was obviously made for FFVII fans, so it kind of has to rely on nostalgia. If you didn`t like FFVII, that`s ok, but I think most people that actualy did, thought that it was a preety decent game. I mean c`mon how could you not get emotional with that ending!? It was awsome!

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network
WiiBox3 said:
@Kirby007
Because a good JRPG will kick your butt if you do not strategize your battles even with the weaker enemies and still be enjoyable enough to make you keep wanting to play. This is what was great about the Final Fantasy games pre FFVIII and the older Dragon Warrior games. The enjoyment came out of figuring out how to beat bosses without grinding levels for hours. And the great thing was if you searched there was usually a way to do it.

The problem with the modern JRPGs is not their stories. (Saying to go watch a movie is pointless in recent years when many genres are trying to develop stories in their games. And why go watch a movie when the stories we get from video games are not usually the type that Hollywood will pump out.) The problem with the ones I have played is that when the battle mechanics are good the game is often not difficult enough to force you to continually strategize throughout the game.

If you need an example of what I am talking about play FFIV. You don't even have to find a SNES to play it, it is coming out for the DS soon.

You've never actually played the games you're talking about have you?  Most of the older games were almost 100% about grinding for some kind of points and slaughtering enemies.  Strategy was taken out back, shot, and buried next to player choice and freedom.

Because much like myself there are people who love them and enjoy them more than any other genre. Different people have different taste in games, music, movies, books, etc. I can easily say FPS's and racers are overated and over hyped.

4 ≈ One

Words Of Wisdom said:
Riachu said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

I like turn-based battle systems because most all action-based battle systems are clunky with poor cameras and even worse controls.

I'd rather an action game with RPG elements than an RPG with action elements.

So you hate Star Ocean, Tales and Kingdom Hearts? I like that developers are putting RPG elements in some of their games. It seems that people seem to like to play games with RPG elements even if they don't like RPGs.

Tales games have some of the most attrocious cameras of any RPG system ever made and they get even worse when you decide you wan to have more than one person playing. You also have really awkward movement in say Tales of Symphonia making it even worse. You can move at or away from an enemy, but that's really it. Let's not even get into the handheld or older games where your character is permanently set on the Semi-Auto "I run back and forth" setting.

Star Ocean's system isn't any better. At least in Tales you can always see the enemy on the screen. In Star Ocean, unless you're right next to the enemy... don't expect to see it at all. The camera just loves to zoom in on your character at random times. Star Ocean also has the lovely delay on attacks where if you push the button it might be a second or longer till your attack gets executed. At least Tales gets the "I push the button, something happens" concept down.

Conversely, games like Kingdom Hearts, God of War, and others are more inline with what I'd like to see control-wise. You controlled a character and it handled well. They also had RPG elements (leveling, orb/magic leveling...etc). Gimme another Kingdom Hearts-style game over Tales of Shitty Battle Systems any day.

The only problem I had with SO3's battle system was that the enemies couldn't be damaged when you knocked them down.

EDIT:I also don't like MP death

I play a lot of JRPGs, but never seem to finish any of them. Most of the ones I've played have terrible stories and no difficulty beyond spending time grinding. You can't really argue there's any strategy involved in most of them either.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Tales games have some of the most attrocious cameras of any RPG system ever made and they get even worse when you decide you wan to have more than one person playing. You also have really awkward movement in say Tales of Symphonia making it even worse. You can move at or away from an enemy, but that's really it. Let's not even get into the handheld or older games where your character is permanently set on the Semi-Auto "I run back and forth" setting.

Star Ocean's system isn't any better. At least in Tales you can always see the enemy on the screen. In Star Ocean, unless you're right next to the enemy... don't expect to see it at all. The camera just loves to zoom in on your character at random times. Star Ocean also has the lovely delay on attacks where if you push the button it might be a second or longer till your attack gets executed. At least Tales gets the "I push the button, something happens" concept down.

Conversely, games like Kingdom Hearts, God of War, and others are more inline with what I'd like to see control-wise. You controlled a character and it handled well. They also had RPG elements (leveling, orb/magic leveling...etc). Gimme another Kingdom Hearts-style game over Tales of Shitty Battle Systems any day.

The only problem I had with SO3's battle system was that the enemies couldn't be damaged when you knocked them down.

EDIT:I also don't like MP death

MP death was neat until you realized that your characters could have 3000 HP and only 300 MP by comparison.  Then it got old really fast especially when your character has 2800 HP left and is dead.

Of course, MP was a joke really.  You get MP regen very early in the game.  After that everyone can run around restocking their MP and your mages will never run out.  Infinite attack/support spells?  Full healing at the end of or during every battle?  Why not.

Shameless said:
I play a lot of JRPGs, but never seem to finish any of them. Most of the ones I've played have terrible stories and no difficulty beyond spending time grinding. You can't really argue there's any strategy involved in most of them either.

This, pretty much. The only RPGs I've played that have actual strategy are SRPGs and the Megaten games. Mostly, they're terribly easy, and you can sleep through most of the battles by just mashing X.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Shameless said:

Hope this only applies to Turn Based RPGs.  Real Time RPGs are suppose to be based more on skill.

Riachu said:
Shameless said:

Hope this only applies to Turn Based RPGs.  Real Time RPGs are suppose to be based more on skill.

Name some skill-based ones.

Just beacuse you don't like JRPG's doesn't mean they are overrated.

That's like saying Halo,GoW,MGS are overrated simply beacuse I don't like those kind of games.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints