By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

Ummmm, well if you like doing (X) in a video game, why don't you just go do it in real life? Why don't you just go play sports, why don't you just go have an adventure of your own, why don't you just go shoot someone? I guarantee you'll have more fun.

JRPG's may have suffered in the innovation department lately, but JRPG's are one of the most important genres in gaming, period. They have bled into just about every other genre to the point that you really will have a hard time finding a game that doesn't employ some RPG elements.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

'nuff said.

dtewi said:
konnichiwa said:
JaggedSac said:

Buttonmashing?? I have played a good bit and don't recall button mashing. Dynasty Warriors is not considered a JRPG.  The story is usually good and building a powerful party is pretty fun as well.

KH is a button smasher.....

You're getting a mutated version of the disease.

Well just pointing out witch one could be considerd as an button smasher.

akuma587 said:
Ummmm, well if you like doing (X) in a video game, why don't you just go do it in real life? Why don't you just go play sports, why don't you just go have an adventure of your own, why don't you just go shoot someone? I guarantee you'll have more fun.

JRPG's may have suffered in the innovation department lately, but JRPG's are one of the most important genres in gaming, period. They have bled into just about every other genre to the point that you really will have a hard time finding a game that doesn't employ some RPG elements.

Dungeons and Dragons says hi.  I'm pretty sure that D&D is older than any JRPG.  Or how about Rogue as the first RPG?  I don't think that JRPGs are responsible for games like System Shock or Deus Ex or most other games that have RPG elements.

I think a lot of JRPGs are overrated.  I'm not a big fan of them, but for some reason I play a lot of them in the belief that I might enjoy them.  But I really only end up liking very few of the RPGs that I try.  The stories/characters usually seem cliche, and poorly thought out, with poor pacing.  Gameplay wise, I usually enjoy them up until the 15 hour mark.  After that, the story has to keep me interested, otherwise I lose all interest in the game.  And since most JRPGs can't keep me interested in the story, I usually don't finish them.

kirby007 said:

In all honesty why all the hype, why does anyone like them?

Imo it is just buttonbashing and/or random fights with slow battlesystems.

If you like the story just go watch a movie.

So tell me why do you like them? ( or why not )

I like them because of their unlimited potential. It's beneath me to explain my tastes further than that.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

JRPGs, well...RPGs in general are more influential than some people might let on.

You want to know what I am talking about? Click on the link below.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3581/a_japanese_rpg_primer_the_.php

@Soriku: Remember Twesterns vid off Heavenly Sword? I am sure he could do the same with KH.

Why do I like JRPG's?

• Story: I like to see how the story develops. A good story has me hooked up till the end... why don't you watch a movie instead? Because in the JRPG I feel I'm part of the story, I feel more involved and I can feel as one one the characters a lot more than in a movie. WRPG's are more world driven and JRPG's are more character driven.
  • Gameplay: Well, some JRPGs have the best effects in skills and magic I've ever seen in any other videogame genre. Pwining foes with a powerful attact to me is a lot more fun in a JRPG than any other genre. controls aren't too complicated (some have the simple battle menu system).
  • I'm a Japanese gaming fan: I admit it and I'm proud of it :)

ZenfoldorVGI said:
kirby007 said:

In all honesty why all the hype, why does anyone like them?

Imo it is just buttonbashing and/or random fights with slow battlesystems.

If you like the story just go watch a movie.

So tell me why do you like them? ( or why not )

I like them because of their unlimited potential. It's beneath me to explain my tastes further than that.

That is exactly why I like them. Yes, there are plenty of generic JRPGs.  However, we will get a very unique one every now and then. i.e. The World Ends With You, Persona 3

There are multiple directions the genre can take and will look forward to what developers will have in store.

Yeah, TWEWY takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's a blast to play.