By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are overrated?!

Soriku said:
madskillz said:
You know, Kirby, I am kind of in your boat. While I enjoyed Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, I still prefer real-time RPGs like Fable, Mass Effect, Oblivion.

I won't say they are overrated, but Final Fantasy did nada for me.

There's plenty of real time JRPGs though. KH? Tales? Star Ocean?

Final Fantasy Is also real time now.(which sucks imo. DOn't think I'm saying the games suck now you guys.) Even though XII did imo.

Around the Network

^ couldn't you have putten that in just one post?...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

sc94597 said:
Garcian Smith said:
sc94597 said:
Garcian Smith said:
Well, for the most part, anyone saying that they like JRPGs for the story wouldn't know a good story if it smacked them over the head. JRPG stories are usually trite, saccharine, and wholly predictable.

That said, the "Press X to attack"-type battle system can be fun if the designers put some thought into it. Like, say, in Persona 3, where you only control your main character directly, and you control the rest of your characters on the fly with a bunch of AI selections. But most JRPG designers don't really innovate, because a generic game in the genre already has a guaranteed audience.

Not the ones I play.

Which ones might those be?

Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun 1&2, FFVI, Earthbound, Etc all had stories that don't fit those adjectives.

Don't forget about Persona 3

kirby007 said:

No because some of those people posted many times after I posted my first post. And saying @x-person would be kind of confusing. ALso my first post was before I refreshed the thread to read the other ones.

@Riachu  I've never played a persona game. I was planning on getting one. but got wild arms instead.

sc94597 said:
kirby007 said:

No because some of those people posted many times after I posted my first post. And saying @x-person would be kind of confusing. ALso my first post was before I refreshed the thread to read the other ones.

@Riachu I've never played a persona game. I was planning on getting one. but got wild arms instead.

which wild arms did you get?

Around the Network
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
kirby007 said:

@Riachu I've never played a persona game. I was planning on getting one. but got wild arms instead.

The first and second one. I just finished the tests in the guardian shrine. Pretty fun game.

JRPG's are amazing. Comparing JRPG's to WRPG's and bash one makes you seem like an idiot every time you try to support your claim.

Also, to say JRPG's story is horrible to WRPG's is completely ignorant to say because there are horrible stories to both genre's, as well as great ones to both genre's. Just because you prefer one story over another doesn't mean it's better, it's just opinion, not a fact.

Why I like JRPG's:
Character development, which most, not all, WRPG's lack
Storyline
Gameplay
Amazing animation, as well as CGI, and art style.

Why I like WRPG's
-Character creation: You make the character instead of playing as one.
-Gameplay
-Story. Not so much as JRPG's but I do love some storylines like Diablo's.
-Multiplayer. Mainly the Diablo series style of multiplayer, and concept of MMO's.

sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
kirby007 said:

The first and second one. I just finished the tests in the guardian shrine. Pretty fun game.

I heard the first one was pretty good but I heard the rest of them are mediocre

sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
kirby007 said:

i remember playing the second one i didnt like it that much

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
kirby007 said:

I heard the first one was pretty good but I heard the rest of them are mediocre

Oh well I heard only 4 and 5 were mediocre. Anyway I'm enjoying the game so far. I will try two after I beat the first one.

@brute Really? The first one is pretty good. Hm I guess I will see after I'm done with the first.