By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo at E3. Not talking about Halo Wars either.

i love xbox360 said:
Gazz said:
Good luck trying to beat MGS4 then. Raising the bar high as far as game/cimematics go I see. looking at halo 3 they have a long way to go with getting graphics even close to as good as they are in MGS4 so good luck developing this game for 3 years or more if they can find staff as experienced as the ones that worked on MGS.

Anyway, a little ambition is a good thing so thumbs up.

halo already beat mgs4 look at the sales

That's like saying that the Harry Potter books have beat Shakespeare because they've sold more. They are completely different games, one is for mass entertainment and the other is more high concept and aren't to be compared in terms of sales just like you wouldn't compare the works of JK Rowling to that of Shakespeare.

Around the Network
DTG said:
i love xbox360 said:
Gazz said:
Good luck trying to beat MGS4 then. Raising the bar high as far as game/cimematics go I see. looking at halo 3 they have a long way to go with getting graphics even close to as good as they are in MGS4 so good luck developing this game for 3 years or more if they can find staff as experienced as the ones that worked on MGS.

Anyway, a little ambition is a good thing so thumbs up

That's like saying that the Harry Potter books have beat Shakespeare because they've sold more. They are completely different games, one is for mass entertainment and the other is more high concept and aren't to be compared in terms of sales just like you wouldn't compare the works of JK Rowling to that of Shakespeare.

You realize of course that most of Shakespears' writings were designed as mass entertainment?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DTG said:
although Peter Jackson is obviously are far better director than Kojima.

--Stopped reading there. Kojima is inarguably a far better director and storyteller than Jackson. They are night and day.

I know you are a mgs fan, but what you just stated is complete idiocy.

Aj_habfan said:
Squilliam said:
Gazz said:

Heavy rain craps all over MGS4 in one little clip. The animation in MGS4 leaves a lot to be desired, like the empty Coffee mugs/Coke cans. This isn't thunderbirds anymore people!!!

It was a well made game destroyed by the director. Act 1 I was thinking wow, awesome game, Act 2 had me thinking about how high in the top 10 list of all time I would put it. Act 3 made me go "It'll get better in the later acts" Act 4 I was starting to hate Kojima and Act 5 I put the controller down in the last part of the game you actually have control before the epilogue. I couldn't stomach it. (Liquid has big man tits btw)

Kojima made and destroyed an awesome game. Peter Jackson has experience in making epic movies, so long as he has a good team around him and he listens to them I am positive he could make an excellent game.

You were starting to hate Kojima by Act 4? That was one of the greatest acts ever - I honestly doubt you've played the game or any other game in the series.

I was actually disliking it in Act 3 but I hadn't given up on the game then. By Act 5 I was REALLY getting sick of all the cutscenes. The story line doesn't explain the 4 bitches at all really. I was especially put out by the whole ship falling in Raiden thing.  Those are just two reasons why I disliked the story line. Its not just that they don't fit into the story arc as a credible addition to the story and they seem tacked on its also the fact that Kojima tries to pack more and more crud into the storyline the further along it gets. So when the crud doesn't work the whole game falls flat.

Tease.

Anything with Halo name on it should sell over 1 million copies, regardless of quality.

The source "sarcastic gamer" that is a joke site. Just wait and see what E3 has to offer.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DTG said:
i love xbox360 said:
Gazz said:

You realize of course that most of Shakespears' writings were designed as mass entertainment?

But it has never achieved that status by the standards of what we consider mass entertainment today. A Shakespeare will never sell as much as Harry Potter nor will it cause the mass market media frenzy. It appeals to intellectuals foremost.

DTG said:
i love xbox360 said:
Gazz said:

MGSIV = Shakespear??!!? Its more like a typical pretensious Rialto movie.

Tease.

Um Shakespeare has sold more texts then Rowling has (some people put him as the best selling writer of all time). Not only that but his writing was most definetely targeted at the mass market

Squilliam said:
DTG said:
i love xbox360 said:
Gazz said:

MGSIV = Shakespear??!!? Its more like a typical pretensious Rialto movie.

MGS is more inbetween. It's like Shakespeare mixed with Harry Potter. A thinking mans story presented in the disguise of mass entertainment presentation.

Pretentious is usually a complement because people tend to call anything pretentious that challanges their frail ego and intellect. Just because the creator is smarter than you and actually tries to teach you something doesn't make them "pretentious".

DTG said:
starcraft said:
DTG said:
i love xbox360 said:
Gazz said:

But it has never achieved that status by the standards of what we consider mass entertainment today. A Shakespeare will never sell as much as Harry Potter nor will it cause the mass market media frenzy. It appeals to intellectuals foremost.

...hummm...2 weeks ago you were making comparison with Kant...now it's Shakespeare turn...who's the next in line? Leonardo Da Vinci?

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M