By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps2 sold 120 million units.

Its well known that the PS2 had some major quality control issues early in its cycle, but those are long since past.

PS2s have probably broke down more over the last 3-4 years than Gamecube and XBox, but then again, consoles are less likely to wear out when there's no reason for anyone to use them.

The system that PS2 passed to become the #1 best-selling console of all time probably had more repurchases than PS2. Going from the original brick to Color Game Boy to Game Boy Pocket to Game Boy Color certainly resulted in millions upon millions of repurchases from existing customers.

Bottom line: PS2 is now officially the most successful console of all time. Too bad people see this as a Wii/DS topic.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Why the Playstation 2? Why couldn't the Gamecube win? Damn you Nintendo. You'd better not mess up with your Wii. I own a Playstation 2, only to complete my console collection. It only exists.

How PS2 did they sold ? They says 120 millions SHIPPED, but how many solds ?

I have more than 50 PS2 in my backstore in my EB Games and all other stores from the district are over-saturated by these consoles just like my store.

And yes there is alot of exageration about broken PS2. Yes we have seen many problems with broken PS2 in the beginning like any console, but don't forgot that they called back the three first series of serial number of the Slim. I'm pretty sure that they count the defect and the replacement in their count.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

A lot of people bought more than one gameboy, too, especially when the color version came out.  I'm not too concerned about the details.  PS2 is the best selling system ever.  It's still outselling other consoles some months.

Blue3 said:

blow away the PS3s power, dude the wii only matches the original Xbox power.

This has been debunked multiple times.

The Gamecube matches the original Xbox's power.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

Actually it's a tiny bit less, but pretty darn close (everyone knows this anyways but I like to be exact). But yeah, the Wii has more power than any last-gen console for sure. That guy seems like a PS3 fanboy to me.

mrstickball said:
We might even see Madden 09 for PS2 still. That'd be amazing.
Hope that you meant Madden 2011...

Now Loading... Please Wait!

Quantum-Tarantino said:
Blue3 said:

I developer just said that the Wii was equal to the Xbox in power.  The thread got banned twice, but it was a true  story.  This claim has only been "debunked" by Wii fans.

windbane said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Blue3 said:

I developer just said that the Wii was equal to the Xbox in power.  The thread got banned twice, but it was a true  story.  This claim has only been "debunked" by Wii fans.

True and especially on this forum :) what do you want with all those Wii fan boys.

Just because one developer said it was equal to the xbox doesn't mean anything windbane. Computer hardware specs are very tough to compare anyway, especially since the xbox and the wii use completely different architectures.

I read that thread about the developer saying the wii was around the same as the xbox and frankly I find it hard to believe. He didn't even talk about all the different ways two machines can be the same, instead focusing on specific parts of the graphics subsystems. The overall power of hardware is a sum of all the parts, and can't be compared by discussing one specific area. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that guy proved was that generating graphics one way was easier on the xbox, while generating graphics in a different way was easier on the wii.

As for the topic itself, I doubt any console will sell like the ps2 did, at least not anytime soon. The sales were so fantastic because of the incredibly dominant position it managed to attain, selling close to 2.5 times as many as the other two consoles combined and still selling strong. Companies may say "we expect this console to last x years", but the consumers are really the people that decide. Consumers are still buying ps2 stuff, so developers will still make games. As soon as sales drop off and they aren't making profits anymore, games will dry up and it'll be over.