By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps2 sold 120 million units.

I consider myself lucky. My PS2 almost 5 years old and I have finished more than 70 games on it. The only reason I have not got the disk errors yet is due to HDloader. I know there are legal issues, but it is not so wrong when you own the original games.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Just to point out, the 120m mark was like 4 months ago.. it has to be at least 125m by now.

it seems to me illogical.

sony shipped only 117.89 million units worldwide in march 30.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

how could they sell more than what they shipped?

johnlucas said:

There's no doubt PS2's a phenomenon. In fact it has sort of kept people from buying the new 7th generation systems. It stays above XBox 360 consistently hardware wise.

I think it has one last good holiday season left in it for 2007 then it will fade.

John Lucas 

besides, since the x360's launch, the PS2 sold twice the amount of consoles the xbox 360 sold.

the x360 sold until today 10 million while the ps2 sold 20 million consoles (120.1 - 100.01 = 20.09)

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

Stating that the reason the Playstation 2 sold around 120 million units, because most of the units were faulty, is wrong.

If you owned a Playstation 2, and it broke, you don't have to buy another Playstation 2, because you could buy a Gamecube, or Xbox. However, because most people chose a second Playstation 2, rather than a Gamecube, and Xbox, gives even more support to Sony.

But, if someone buys a Gamecube, or Xbox, instead of a second Playstation 2, than what would that person do with the Playstation 2 games, that person may have purchased? In that case, the person could just resell them, so stating that the person would be forced to buy another Playstation 2, to give purpose for the Playstation 2 games, that person may already own, is also wrong.

Even if you eliminate all of the faulty Playstation 2's, there is no chance that the number of units sold, would be below 50 million.

I don't want to read any more excuses, regarding the mighty sales of the Playstation 2. It won the previous generation, and that's that. But, at the end, I personally like the Gamecube the most, from the previous generation.

Well if there is any console this generation that has a chance it is Wii. I don't think 360 or PS3 can put up massive numbers like that.

But I don't think Wii will do it. I do think on the other hand DS will do it. There are a lot of factors to support this.

Around the Network
Punisher said:
HappySqurriel said:
Tispower said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:
In before someone says the Wii is gonna outsell it...

It won't Wii doesn't break like the PS2s did

For goodness, sake! No proof of that has ever been given, so can we please stop flaming?

Except for (of course) a class action lawsuit that Sony settled rather than lose ...

Beyond that the PS2 has been around for a long time and few modern electronics last 5 years without needing to be replaced.

Your point here ? 

My Gamecube is still kicking, even though i sold it to my friend(bought at launch).

And my N64 is still kickin' around (bought at launch).

My original Gba is still rolling (bought at launch).

My dvd-player still works (bought 2000).

My stereos still work (bought 1997). 

My tv still works (bought 2001).

These will go to that category which you mentioned: 

Second Ps2 going here (bought 1st one 2005 and new one in march 07)

*cough* X-box 360 *cough* in M$'s dreams

Sigh bro you know what he means.

There are still new games on the PS2 and still it is selling a lot.

Can you say that about the other consoles? 

konnichiwa said:
Punisher said:
HappySqurriel said:
Tispower said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

For goodness, sake! No proof of that has ever been given, so can we please stop flaming?

Except for (of course) a class action lawsuit that Sony settled rather than lose ...

Beyond that the PS2 has been around for a long time and few modern electronics last 5 years without needing to be replaced.

Your point here ?

My Gamecube is still kicking, even though i sold it to my friend(bought at launch).

And my N64 is still kickin' around (bought at launch).

My original Gba is still rolling (bought at launch).

My dvd-player still works (bought 2000).

My stereos still work (bought 1997).

My tv still works (bought 2001).

Second Ps2 going here (bought 1st one 2005 and new one in march 07)

*cough* X-box 360 *cough* in M$'s dreams

Sigh bro you know what he means.

There are still new games on the PS2 and still it is selling a lot.

Can you say that about the other consoles?

what has that got to do with failure rates?

he is stating that there are many pieces of consumer electronics that last more than5 years, and I happen to agree with him. Nothing to do with who is selling and who still has games 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I am completely surprised that is still selling as strong as it is. The other two from last gen are non-existent on the charts whereas this beast rivals 360/ps3 sales.

mrstickball said:
You've gone far off topic from discussing the 120m mark that the PS2 achieved, to just a rant about DS and Wii outselling it....Lock maybe?

<rant>Why do a few off topic posts have to bring up this question of locking the thread?  If you do that then there is no chance to get back on topic.  If you freaking just deal with it and talk about the topic, it usually gets back on track.  If the thread gets locked you apparently can't re-create the topic, either, <sarcasm>because obviously the only reason someone would do that is to restart an argument.  It would have nothing to do with the news value of the post. </sarcasm></endrant>  I'm sorry.

The PS1 and PS2 were clearly the 2 most dominant back-to-back generations in console history.  Quite impressive.  This generation may show us (again) how quickly it can all change, though.  Microsoft is doing better than expected by (smartly) buying off a few things here and there, and Nintendo is convincing everyone to get casual people to invest in a system they might not buy much software for.  I suggested that the place I work for get a Wii for break time, knowing it will appeal to many people.  I don't expect them to buy many games for break time, though.

Punisher said:
HappySqurriel said:
Tispower said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

Beyond that the PS2 has been around for a long time and few modern electronics last 5 years without needing to be replaced.

Your point here ? Why is there a space between the "e" in "here," and the "?"?

My Gamecube is still kicking, even though i sold it to my friend(bought at launch). So? There are millions of Gamecube out there. Just because yours works, doesn't mean they all work.

And my N64 is still kickin' around (bought at launch). So? There are millions of Nintendo 64 out there. Just because yours works, doesn't mean they all work.

My original Gba is still rolling (bought at launch). So? There are millions of Gameboy Advance out there. Just because yours works, doesn't mean they all work.

My dvd-player still works (bought 2000). So? There are millions of DVD players out there. Just because yours works, doesn't mean they all work.

My stereos still work (bought 1997). So? There are millions of stereos out there. Just because yours works, doesn't mean they all work.

My tv still works (bought 2001). So? There are millions of televisions out there. Just because yours works, doesn't mean they all work.

Second Ps2 going here (bought 1st one 2005 and new one in march 07) So? There are millions of Playstation 2 out there. Just because you had one broken one, doesn't mean everyone else had one broken one. My original Playstation 2 still works, and it's one of the first generation ones.

*cough* X-box 360 *cough* in M$'s dreams Go take some cough syrup.

You only own, one GBA, N64, GCN, stereo, DVD player, and TV, while millions of each, exist in the world. Electronics from the 1950's still work today. Time isn't as big of a factor as you think. The electronics you own, are so little, compared to the amount of electronics that exist in the rest of the world, it's like noticing one star, missing from the Universe. Your electronics might as well not exist, for their durability, throughout time, proves nothing. It's not even considered to be a coincidence, since many old, electronics, last for a very, long time. Failure rates of all GBA, N64, GCN, stereos, DVD players, and TVs, will provide a lot more proof, than one of each, on the durability of the electronics. Some Atari 2600 have lasted longer than some Playstation 2, and some Playstation 2 have lasted longer than some Atari 2600. And you might want to check that nasty cough of yours.