By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps2 sold 120 million units.

You've gone far off topic from discussing the 120m mark that the PS2 achieved, to just a rant about DS and Wii outselling it....Lock maybe?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
I dont believe Wii can outsell PS2. I think it's more the question if Wii will break the 100m-barrier. But DS could be sell better than PS2. But at least for the next two years the PS2 is the best selling console of all time.

Erm, the DS is a hand-held gaming device not a console. I not sure but I seem to be seeing a trend of gamers nowadays tring to make everything a gaming console. The other day a couple of people on a forum were referring to the PC gaming platform as "consoles" weird uh?

As far as consoles go, the only console that comes close to the PS2 is the PS1. As far as gaming devices go, I believe only the gameboy (or maybe the gameboy advance) is second to the PS2 with the PS1 coming in 3rd... I think. Also as far as gaming platforms go, I'm sure it's save to say the PC is widely regarded as the obvious leader in that respect.. I guess.

Chubear said:
Mnementh said:
I dont believe Wii can outsell PS2. I think it's more the question if Wii will break the 100m-barrier. But DS could be sell better than PS2. But at least for the next two years the PS2 is the best selling console of all time.

Erm, the DS is a hand-held gaming device not a console. I not sure but I seem to be seeing a trend of gamers nowadays tring to make everything a gaming console. The other day a couple of people on a forum were referring to the PC gaming platform as "consoles" weird uh?

As far as consoles go, the only console that comes close to the PS2 is the PS1. As far as gaming devices go, I believe only the gameboy (or maybe the gameboy advance) is second to the PS2 with the PS1 coming in 3rd... I think. Also as far as gaming platforms go, I'm sure it's save to say the PC is widely regarded as the obvious leader in that respect.. I guess.

Wikipedia:

The Nintendo DS, often abbreviated NDS or DS, is a handheld game console developed and manufactured by Nintendo

Thanks for playing.  Now back to the discussion:  I personally purchased 3 PS2's, but I still don't buy that everyone had as bad an experience as me.  I'd say at least 20 million of those are replacements, but hey, planned obsolescense sells systems too right?  Either way it has and holds the record, for now.  I don't buy that neither the Wii or DS will catch and outsell it though.  The "their hardware will feel so outdated" argument is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  It's already outdated, the future development of better PC graphics will only make the PS3 and 360 graphics seem outdated, not the Wii, who never depended on graphical prowess to sell in the first place.  Oh, but the technology will make them have to replace it with the Wii 2 sooner right?  That makes no sense, the PS2 has constantly outsold the Xbox 360 since it's been out, and that's a MUCH larger hardware diference.  The winner chooses when to replace their system.  They don't have to worry about their technology being dated, the PS2 is proof enough of that.

The Wii is currently selling about 15% faster than the PS2 was at this point in it's lifetime, the DS even faster than that.  I'm sorry, but there is no evidence whatsoever that the Wii will not beat the PS2, other than maybe it won't likely have the failure rate issues.  It still hasn't even hit the mass market price of $200, when the PS2 sold 80% of it's systems.  You would have to be almost completely devoid of logic to say the Wii has no chance of passing the PS2, much less breaking 100 million.    Don't give me that "The Wii has stronger competition than the PS2" crap either.  The Xbox 360 is selling slightly higher than the original Xbox, and the PS3 is selling 20% lower than the Gamecube.  What competition?  All I see are 2 systems flopping like fish out of water in the wake of the Wii's booming success. 

I'm comparing sales here, not quality.  For the record, I like both the PS3 and 360, and intend to own them, but let's be realistic here people.  The limits of the Wii's success are nowhere near set in stone.  Pay attention to the industry before making such ridiculous claims.  We have to wait and see, but the potential certainly exists for the Wii and DS to become the 2 best selling game systems of all time.

There's no doubt PS2's a phenomenon. In fact it has sort of kept people from buying the new 7th generation systems. It stays above XBox 360 consistently hardware wise.

I think it has one last good holiday season left in it for 2007 then it will fade.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Frozen said:

The PS2 is part of the sixth generation era, and has become the fastest selling home console in video game history, with over 120 million units shipped worldwide by May 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

And it just doesn't stop either.  I really do wonder just how far it'll go. I guess it depends on when the big releases will stop. With Sony focusing on the PS3, it's up to third parties to keep the system going. 

Now thats the question. When will the games stop coming for it? 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Multi-port titles should remain strong atleast through the year. There are a few Wii/PS2 titles that might end up having a good shelf life. I am sure that releasing budget/cheaper games on the Wii, and porting them to the PS2 could be a very lucritive venture for some companies (manhunt 2, heatseeker, ect).

We might even see Madden 09 for PS2 still. That'd be amazing.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Just to point out, the 120m mark was like 4 months ago.. it has to be at least 125m by now.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Just to point out, the 120m mark was like 4 months ago.. it has to be at least 125m by now.

Yeah, that makes sense... cause the PS2 is selling 1.25 million units per month *rollys eyes and moves on*

naznatips said:
ssj12 said:

Yeah, that makes sense... cause the PS2 is selling 1.25 million units per month *rollys eyes and moves on*

well i forget how long ago the actually announcement was made i know it was towards the beginning of the year. Plus at the beginning of the year it was selling about 1m WW and dropped in April to about 700k WW a month so logically its somewhere around 125m. Its probably more towards 123m but its still theres a good chance it higher then that.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

HappySqurriel said:
Tispower said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:
In before someone says the Wii is gonna outsell it...

It won't Wii doesn't break like the PS2s did

For goodness, sake! No proof of that has ever been given, so can we please stop flaming?

Except for (of course) a class action lawsuit that Sony settled rather than lose ...

Beyond that the PS2 has been around for a long time and few modern electronics last 5 years without needing to be replaced.

Your point here ? 

My Gamecube is still kicking, even though i sold it to my friend(bought at launch).

And my N64 is still kickin' around (bought at launch).

My original Gba is still rolling (bought at launch).

My dvd-player still works (bought 2000).

My stereos still work (bought 1997). 

My tv still works (bought 2001).

These will go to that category which you mentioned: 

Second Ps2 going here (bought 1st one 2005 and new one in march 07)

*cough* X-box 360 *cough* in M$'s dreams

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------