By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps2 sold 120 million units.

I think the Wii isn't going to outsell the PS2, even though it sells faster. Why? I think in another 4 years there's going to be a succesor that blows away the PS3/360 in power, with a bit higher price. The Wii will keep selling the most so the 'Wii2' can slowly lower it's price and become more popular. By the time the 'Xbox 720' and the 'PS4' come out, it will be a integrated part of the consolewar. That's how Nintendo could build a homeconsole outselling the PS2.

Look at all the good things that will happen for everybody:
-the wii2 will launch around $600-700, with very high tech specs AND a wiiremote. Nintendo can charge a lot of money during the first moths: hardcore gamers will buy it anyways.
-maintream- and non-gamers will focus on the normal wii, until the wii2 becomes affordable. When the other 2 next-gen consoles come out, it's price will be around $250-350, with more people knowing wii2, because it's been around for such a long time.
-WE will be able to taste the 8th gen in, say 4 years, or we can wait and buy a new console in 6-7 years when the 720 and PS4 come out.
-My bet is that the peak of graphics will be reached next generation, so there will be no sensible difference between the early launched Wii2 and the later expected 720 and PS4

It's getting a little off-topic now, but what do you think of this scenario?

Around the Network
mariozeldametroid said:
I think the Wii isn't going to outsell the PS2, even though it sells faster. Why? I think in another 4 years there's going to be a succesor that blows away the PS3/360 in power, with a bit higher price. The Wii will keep selling the most so the 'Wii2' can slowly lower it's price and become more popular. By the time the 'Xbox 720' and the 'PS4' come out, it will be a integrated part of the consolewar. That's how Nintendo could build a homeconsole outselling the PS2.

Look at all the good things that will happen for everybody:
-the wii2 will launch around $600-700, with very high tech specs AND a wiiremote. Nintendo can charge a lot of money during the first moths: hardcore gamers will buy it anyways.
-maintream- and non-gamers will focus on the normal wii, until the wii2 becomes affordable. When the other 2 next-gen consoles come out, it's price will be around $250-350, with more people knowing wii2, because it's been around for such a long time.
-WE will be able to taste the 8th gen in, say 4 years, or we can wait and buy a new console in 6-7 years when the 720 and PS4 come out.
-My bet is that the peak of graphics will be reached next generation, so there will be no sensible difference between the early launched Wii2 and the later expected 720 and PS4

It's getting a little off-topic now, but what do you think of this scenario?

i think you need to read your post and think about it a bit.

blow away the PS3s power, dude the wii only matches the original Xbox power.

mariozeldametroid : That is crazy talk I dont think that someone will do 600$ console again, and specially not Nintendo :S.

i think that wii2 will cost about $350 at launch, but it will have better graphics and it will be more powerfull than  ps3 and xbox360, so we'll have a new console, and a little more expensive than the other, so all the people will buy it.

sorry for my english

ismael said:
i think that wii2 will cost about $350 at launch, but it will have better graphics and it will be more powerfull than ps3 and xbox360, so we'll have a new console, and a little more expensive than the other, so all the people will buy it.

sorry for my english

And PS3 and 360 are both going to be more expensive than it and MS and Sony will sit there and do nothing right?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

DS outselling the PS2 isn't the same as the Wii outselling the PS2. DS is a hand held and it started at a much lower price point to begin with. DS should be looking to outsell the gameboy not the PS2 because they aren't really fair to compare.

ckmlb said:
ismael said:
i think that wii2 will cost about $350 at launch, but it will have better graphics and it will be more powerfull than ps3 and xbox360, so we'll have a new console, and a little more expensive than the other, so all the people will buy it.

sorry for my english

And PS3 and 360 are both going to be mor expensive than it and MS and Sony will sit there and do nothing right?

of course not, i said that they will be cheaper, but they will be old too, and with the succes of wii, people will prefer buying another wii (the same of ps1 and ps2). in conclusion, it will be more expensive but better, and i won't be the one who waits for ps4 or xbox720 having the wii2 in the market with an excellent control.

Doubt it.

Tispower said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:
In before someone says the Wii is gonna outsell it...

It won't Wii doesn't break like the PS2s did

For goodness, sake! No proof of that has ever been given, so can we please stop flaming?

Except for (of course) a class action lawsuit that Sony settled rather than lose ...

Beyond that the PS2 has been around for a long time and few modern electronics last 5 years without needing to be replaced.

The only system that has a shot at the PS2's record is the DS. But a non-handheld console beating it might not happen for a decade or more. A console is bought for a house, while a handheld is bought for an individual person. That makes the PS2's record even more astounding. Of course yeah systems did break down, though the problems are exagerated by the haters, and the system sold an insane ammount of software, certainly over 500 million world wide, and that record won't be touched by the DS or anything else.