By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega doesn't like the Wii...

Oh no, Sega doesn't like the Wii, better not buy the Wii. Oh no. I guess we can just add this to the list of "not real news anti-Wii" threads that keep popping up around here.

What next? "IGN reports that a janitor for Atari game studios doesn't own a Wii. Does this mean Atari won't support the Wii? Only time will tell..."

Around the Network

Besides Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, how many Wii games ARE sega working on? I'd love to see a Skies of Arcadia 2 and Virtual On game on Wii. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Nights is comming out for the Wii and Sega already made that one Sonic game for it.

To my knowledge, they have released several games on the Virtual Console. They have released Sonic and the Secret Rings along with Super Monkey Ball on the main platform, and are developing these exclusive titles:

1) NiGHTS

2) Alien Syndrome

3) Ghost Squad

4) Mario and Sonic at the Olympics

They appear to have 1 360 exclusive game in development, and 0 PS3 exclusives. So... unless I'm wrong, the Wii appears to be their most important platform. Which is why many people are scratching their heads at these comments.

You're welcome to mock people you aren't making games for. It's easy, for example, for Sega to mock Sony, because that only makes the Wii look better and thus can help drive their sales. But why oh why would anyone from Sega mock the system that they're pushing the most? Answer: some guy who's not on the same page as the rest of the company said something he shouldn't have. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Sullla said:
ckmlb said:

If poor graphics aren't stopping people from buying it now, why will that suddenly change next year, or two years from now?

If the hype for the Wii dies down and the average consumer moves on after having some fun with it or after not being able to get it because of the still ungoing 'shortages'. The hype around anything dies down, the question is after it slows down with regards to these brand new consumers that Nintendo is so relying on, will it still sell as well?

The people the Wii is trying to appeal to now are people who aren't normal video gamers, how long do you think they will be entertained or interested in it before moving on? Short attention spans... On the other hand, gamers buy a lot more games because they are waiting for specific games. The Nintendo faithful and the hardcore will keep buying but will those people who bought the Wii a year ago just out of curiosity or for fun still be buying its games?

Also, right now the Wii is the 'in' thing, like people who aren't interested in games are excited about it, this hype doesn't last forever (With non-gamers). 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16523

Sega's Steinberg Clarifies Wii Comments

Sega of America's VP of Marketing Scott Steinberg (right) has clarified his previous comments that he made to Reuters. Steinberg is still very much a Wii supporter and he said the responsibility of innovation on Wii is on Sega just as much as it's on anyone in the industry. More within...

In a recent interview with Reuters Sega of America's marketing vp Scott Steinberg made some very interesting comments regarding the Wii and PS3, casting some doubt on the Wii's long-term prospects.

In a new statement sent to GameDaily BIZ, however, Steinberg clarified his position, noting that Sega has and always will be behind the Wii.

Here's his new statement in full:

"SEGA has fully supported the Wii since day one and we continue to do so – it's no secret that we are close partners. Nintendo has done a masterful job of selling its vision and expanding the market. That said, it's a shared responsibility and opportunity for the whole industry to take advantage of the possibilities of the Wii. If we don't realize its true potential, we will have missed a great opportunity to expand creatively and that is what I was cautioning against in the Reuters interview. I'm not just putting the responsibility of innovation on Nintendo. It's on SEGA and all the publishers and developers as well to carry that flag.

SEGA has been behind the Wii since day one. At E3 2006, our booth was one of the only places you could play a Wii game other than at the Nintendo's. We had playable versions of Super Monkey Ball and Sonic and the Secret Secret Rings up and running. We also just announced a historic partnership with Nintendo to create Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games – a title that SEGA and Nintendo are developing together exclusively for the Wii and DS. We currently have seven titles that we've announced for the Wii such as The Golden Compass, NiGHTS and Ghost Squad, and many more in development.

The Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 all have their own unique advantages. SEGA is excited to be publishing for all three consoles."

Ok, I TOTALLY called that one.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Gballzack said:
Oh no, Sega doesn't like the Wii, better not buy the Wii. Oh no. I guess we can just add this to the list of "not real news anti-Wii" threads that keep popping up around here.

What next? "IGN reports that a janitor for Atari game studios doesn't own a Wii. Does this mean Atari won't support the Wii? Only time will tell..."

Cause you know Marketing VP and Janitor are totally equivilant.... very smart :)

Oh crap now I'm going to get the usual: I was exaggerating to make a point stuff.... this is news get over it. Every gaming site has this on the headlines yesterday and today....

The statements of company leaders are news, all the threads made about Sony said this and that are headlines but this isn't somehow???

Bodhesatva said:
Yojimbo said:
carlos710 said:
FishyJoe said:

Moral of the story: whatever you think about the Wii, if you don't get on the this freight train of a system, you will be crushed beneath it.

That's exactly the moral.... exactly it. Basically you're saying 'STFU and don't crticize my console cause it's selling so good'.

Sounds a lot like a sheep mentality you are asking for out of people which is pretty disgusting.

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
Yojimbo said:
carlos710 said:
FishyJoe said:

Moral of the story: whatever you think about the Wii, if you don't get on the this freight train of a system, you will be crushed beneath it.

That's exactly the moral.... exactly it. Basically you're saying 'STFU and don't crticize my console cause it's selling so good'.

Sounds a lot like a sheep mentality you are asking for out of people which is pretty disgusting.

I'm asking for a sheep mentality out of VP Marketing execs, yes. Or are you implying that Vice Presidents of multi-million dollar corporations should openly voice their criticisms of their own company (and the companies they work with), regardless of how that may affect his own corporation?

I gave examples in other posts. If your company was making most or all of its games for Sony platforms, would it be appropriate, as a Vice President, to mock Sony? The answer is no. If you're a Vice President of a company, you tow the company line, or you risk losing your job.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Sorry guys but I am VERY glad there are no games from Sega planned for the PS3, after Shadow the Hedgehog crap, I'll never buy another Sega game.