By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Australian hardware sales from IGN: Wii>360>PS3

Rock_on_2008 said:
Picko said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 is the best console in the world. Wii sells the most because it is the cheapest. X360- LOL we all know the widespread problems with that console it is not just the hardware problems.

The quality of the Xbox 360 game library is typically seen as being higher than both the PS3 and the Wii. Are you saying that games are unimportant to which console is best?

Yes games do not sell consoles. Brand name of Sony and Nintendo sells consoles.

Once again another source has undertracked the PS3. Why the hate of the PS3?

Games do not sell consoles?? Brand names sell consoles to little fools like you and your fanboy buddies. To the rest of us, GAMES ARE WHAT SELL CONSOLES!

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

good numbers for 360 it,s holding its own against heavy competition.

bigjon said:
sharky said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 will eventually outsell the X360 in every region of the world except for NA which will see the PS3 in front eventually in three to four years time. Japan and Europe the PS3 is heavily outselling X360.

Keep telling yourself that

In reality 360 still has a significant lead in Europe and worldwide. It is outselling PS3 in UK according to the latest chart track.

Given these new prices I'd now doubt Ps3 can overtake 360 in AU.

PS3 is a bomb in Japan, so that's pretty irrelevant.

360 has an insurmountable lead in the USA. There is now way PS3 can overtake it there. PS3 would have to outsell 360 by an average of 200k.month for the next 29 months in row to accomplish that, which would then happen in early 2011 if that occured Unfortunatly, PS3 is barely outselling 360 if at all currently.

360 will almost certainly finish the gen ahead of Ps3 in the USA.

Personally I think it will maintain worldwide sales lead also.

Only PS3 fanboys bring up 360's alledged hardware problems.

I would bet you were one of the people predicting that the Wii would not pass the 360 in NA until Christmas 08.... Sony still has alot of brand power in the US... it is just too expensive, and is still lacking that exclusive game that has major appeal... GTA was that for the PS2, but it is not exclusive. FFVII was that for the PSX, but now XIII is not exclusive(I do not think FF has the impact that it used to btw). Right now it looks like a whole lot is riding on GT5. ONE game M$ cannot buy.

Before you say it I might as well shoot it down. MGS is not a univerally appeally game. It is very hardcore in nature, and has been as long as I can remember.

You have to understand that Sony won't just blow away the competition the way the Wii is doing.

The biggest reason for that is price. One other reason could be lack of appeal towards casual gamers.

But please don't give the tired old logic of "not enough games or exclusive games on the system" thats just not true.

Oh and I don't agree with your assessment of MGS4 this generation.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 is the best console in the world. Wii sells the most because it is the cheapest. X360- LOL we all know the widespread problems with that console it is not just the hardware problems.

The laughs never end...

Sony responds to Wii: 'really pleased' with PS3

By Patrick Avenell

SYDNEY: Sony, makers of the PlayStation 3 (PS3), has responded to yesterday’s report that the Nintendo Wii was the fastest selling game console in Australia’s history.

Speaking to Current.com.au, Sony computer entertainment Australia communications manager, Adrian Christie, said the PS3 was tracking well and Sony was pleased with the console’s progress.

“We’ve [the PS3] just exceeded 300,000 units sold and $200 million in sales,” said Christie. “This figure does not include 65,000 units in business to business deals or the Bravia giveaway.”

For the PS3 to break the record currently held by the Wii, the console must break the 500,000 units sold figure before 25 October 2008. That equates to around 935 units per day for 214 days. Not that Sony is concerned with such records.

“We’re not looking to claim records in the short term — we want to provide a product to around for 10 years,” said Christie.

Christie supports his long term strategy by comparing the PS3’s progress with the earlier PlayStation 2 (PS2) model.

“PS2 has now got over 2.4 million units in Australia and it’s still in retail: it’s eight years old,” said Christie. “We’re performing stronger in PS3 than PS2 [over the same period] – we’re really pleased with where we’re tracking”.

Sony’s strategy in Australia with the PlayStation 3 is about more than providing gaming solutions, with Christie citing the introduction of the in-built Blu-ray Disc player to homes as an example of how Sony can generate future profits through a long-term plan.

The belief at Sony that the PS3 can be a successful loss-leading product can be evidenced by the Bravia promotion Christie referred to earlier. Heretofore, Sony has given away over 25,000 PS3s with selected LCD televisions.

Link

Around the Network

Not to be outdone by Nintendo's impressive announcement that more than 500,000 Wiis have been sold in Australia so far, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia (SCEA) came out with its own figures this week touting the PlayStation 3's success down under. SCEA says 305,000 PS3s have now been sold in Australia since the console's launch in March 2007, with an additional 75,000 units in the market thanks to giveaway deals like the Bravia television offer.

Link

75,000 is more than the expected 68,000 from the Bravia offer, so maybe this includes all promotions, such as the mobile phone one mentioned here:

GS AU: How successful has Sony's BRAVIA promotion--where you've given away a free PS3 with the purchase of new screens--been to date?

ME: Very. I think publicly everyone knows about the promotion with BRAVIA, Sony went on to sell 33,000 BRAVIAs with a free PS3 and took something like 70 percent market share in the month of January for high-definition TVs. I think what's it's saying is that consumers who are looking for a high-definition solution for their home are understanding the benefits of a PS3 connected to a high-definition panel. So we are definitely exploring more of those promotions. Mobile-phone promotions; we've always done those historically and now it's starting to pick up momentum, because PS3 is a product that people do attach a higher value than just what the recommended retail price is.

Link

Going by the IGN AU & NZ numbers PS3 would have sold over 50k in a little over a month. This seems like way too much, so either GfK did include the recent Bravia bundles as it was said they would, or the AU & NZ PS3 number didn't actually include NZ. I'd go with the recent Bravia bundles are included, but I've seen several recent articles where Sony claim they're not, so I'm now unsure. I'll just use the GfK numbers for now, with a notation with the Sony claim underneath.

Some more on recent sales:

GameSpot AU: What are your thoughts on the latest PS3 sales in Australia, and where does it position you in the market?

Michael Ephraim: The first half of this year has been a PlayStation 3 half. The gaming category is so big now, and there are so many different experiences you can get out of video gaming, like hardcore gaming, casual gaming, and family gaming. But if you look at our business, we are a hardcore gaming consumer electronics product. There is no product on the market like ours. Our competitors will probably say the same for their product, but that’s the nature of the business.

In January and July we did a Bravia television deal with the PS3, where we moved 75,000 PS3 units. Our weekly sales since January have also been very strong, and with the price point and experience comparison, we’ve outsold Xbox close to 2 to 1 over the six-month period. We are outselling Xbox at a rapid rate.

GS AU: Do you think that the Xbox price cut in Australia will have a negative effect on PS3 sales?

ME: In the month of June and July Xbox managed to close the gap somewhat, but we are still in front. As I mentioned before, up to the month of July we’re clearly ahead of Xbox. And I think it will stay that way because I don’t think it’s a question of price.

If the Sony claim is correct, PS3 & 360 should be neck and neck in terms of installed base now. It will be very interesting to see which version of Soul Calibur IV releases this week comes out on top in the charts.

Nintendo looks likely to have another astonishingly successful Christmas, with both DS and Wii currently selling around 20,000 units each week in Australia.

The DS is about to pass 1.5 million sales in Australia, while the Wii has notched up sales of 700,000. Software sales for both platforms are also strong.

However the rosy GfK figures cannot hide the fact that many long-time admirers of the Japanese creative giant are underwhelmed by Nintendo's festive season catalogue, with Wii Music and Animal Crossing the highlights.

Link

Both Wii and DS undertracked here.

Australia:
Console Weekly Total
DS 10,589 1,378,107
Wii 7,376 573,414

Rath said:
starcraft said:
madman25 said:
360 does best in English speaking countries(US/UK/AU/NZ)...PS3 will have a tough time taking any of these regions...

In New Zealand Sony owns all.

Not really. New Zealand doesn't have much of a gaming culture at all (we prefer binge drinking for the ages 12 and up) and the only solid thing you can say about that gaming culture is that we hate Nintendo. Sony and MS both get pretty decent shares of the console market.

Hahahaha Rath..... thats the best description of gaming in New Zealand ive seen in a while..and the funny thing is that its true.

Like rath said even though gaming is a big part of Leisure Activities in new Zealand... it really doesnt have a gaming cultrue here.

Anyway.. it will be good too see the Wii sales in New Zealand after Christmas due to all the Nintendo Advertising now. See if the advertising is working.

Wii Friendcode - 6327 2612 7683 5724

feel free to add me whenever (just PM me to let me know)

Too bad we didn't get any new data for the other platforms BKK2, but both Nintendo platforms seem to be doing very well in Australia. Wii sold more in 2008 than in has sold until the end of 2007 and the holiday season is still to come and might DS be able to overtake PS2s install base in 2009?