By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Australian hardware sales from IGN: Wii>360>PS3

Australia is definately Playstation territory in the HD market.

*Xbox360 released March 23rd 2006 (roughly 116 weeks ago)
3,353 per week.

*PS3 released March 23rd 2007 (roughly 64 weeks ago)
4,094 per week.

The Xbox had the whole market to itself for 9 months and no direct competitor for 12 months. Two of my mates have had to buy a 2nd Xbox thanks to RROD (i'm sure they're not the only ones), which makes the Xbox numbers artifically inflated also.

The wii is destroying both, Its still in short supply and high demand!

I always look for a woman who has a tattoo. I see a woman with a tattoo, and I’m thinking, okay, here’s a gal who’s capable of making a decision she’ll regret in the future.

Around the Network

Wii Passes 500k in Australia, DS breaks weekly sales record.

Wii becomes fastest selling console in Australia

Wii becomes fastest selling console in Australia According to the latest figures by independent market research company GfK Australia, the Nintendo Wii has become the fastest console to sell 500,000 copies in the region, beating out the PlayStation 2 by 23 weeks.

The Wii was launched in the region in December 2006, meaning it has taken only 84 weeks to hit the milestone, far faster then the 107 weeks it took the PS2.

The figures also show that the week ended July 6th had the highest sales for a single console ever, with the Nintendo DS selling 49,000 units for the week.

Nintendo continues to dominate the region and shows no signs of slowing down although the PlayStation 3 has been slowly creeping up.

Link

Fastest seller Wii lays down gauntlet to PS3, releases dates on new games

MELBOURNE: Nintendo has released figures today that show its Wii model is the fastest selling gaming console in Australian history. To harness the publicity from this release, Nintendo has announced the release of new titles for its Wii and DS consoles.

Based on number of weeks to reach 500,000 units sold, Nintendo cite GfK figures showing the Wii crossed this mark in its 84th week of sale – the fastest since this data started to be recorded in 2000. The previous record was held jointly by the Sony PlayStation 2 and the Nintendo DS, which both crossed the 500,000 threshold in their 107th week of sale.

GfK has also confirmed that neither of the Wii’s two closest competitors, the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 (PS3), have reached this milestone. This is especially telling for the Xbox 360, which was released almost nine months – 36 weeks to be exact – before the Wii. For the PS3 to take this record off the Wii, it would have to sell 500,000 units before 25 October 2008. Unfortunately, the current sales figure for the PS3 is unavailable.

In order to maintain this market domination, Wii has announced the release of new titles for its Wii and DS consoles.

Link

Thanks BKK2. It is smashing everything in its path. How many PS2 consoles have been sold in Australia?

madman25 said:
360 does best in English speaking countries(US/UK/AU/NZ)...PS3 will have a tough time taking any of these regions...

In New Zealand Sony owns all.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Imthelegend said:
Thanks BKK2. It is smashing everything in its path. How many PS2 consoles have been sold in Australia?

Over 2.2m through 2007.

starcraft said:

Well, 360 still has a larger installed base than PS3 in NZ, but PS3 is catching up.

Around the Network

Thats quite impressive. 2.2 mil PS2's is a huge number for how small Australia is.

This IGN article also gives NDS LTD: 1.2m

Wii Breaks More Aussie Sales Records

Australia, July 22, 2008 - According to a press release through the intertubes this morning, Nintendo Australia is claiming 500,000 sales of their Wii console in the territory, officially making the Wii the fastest selling home console to sell through 500,000 units in Australia.

The figures were supplied by independent market research company GfK Australia, confirming that 84 weeks since it launched, Wii has sold more than 500,000 units, making it the fastest selling home console to reach this milestone. Previously, the console that held this record reached it in 107 weeks, which makes Wii 23 weeks faster.

Wii launched in December 2006 in Australia.

The week commencing 6 July was the highest individual week of sell through for Nintendo DS hardware in Australia, with more than 49,000 units sold. This is the largest single week sell through ever, for any console in Australia.

Nintendo DS currently has an install base of more than 1.2 million units, which demonstrates that Nintendo DS continues to be the popular choice for all consumers.

Link

starcraft said:
madman25 said:
360 does best in English speaking countries(US/UK/AU/NZ)...PS3 will have a tough time taking any of these regions...

Not really. New Zealand doesn't have much of a gaming culture at all (we prefer binge drinking for the ages 12 and up) and the only solid thing you can say about that gaming culture is that we hate Nintendo. Sony and MS both get pretty decent shares of the console market.

sharky said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 will eventually outsell the X360 in every region of the world except for NA which will see the PS3 in front eventually in three to four years time. Japan and Europe the PS3 is heavily outselling X360.

Keep telling yourself that

In reality 360 still has a significant lead in Europe and worldwide. It is outselling PS3 in UK according to the latest chart track.

Given these new prices I'd now doubt Ps3 can overtake 360 in AU.

PS3 is a bomb in Japan, so that's pretty irrelevant.

360 has an insurmountable lead in the USA. There is now way PS3 can overtake it there. PS3 would have to outsell 360 by an average of 200k.month for the next 29 months in row to accomplish that, which would then happen in early 2011 if that occured Unfortunatly, PS3 is barely outselling 360 if at all currently.

360 will almost certainly finish the gen ahead of Ps3 in the USA.

Personally I think it will maintain worldwide sales lead also.

Only PS3 fanboys bring up 360's alledged hardware problems.

I would bet you were one of the people predicting that the Wii would not pass the 360 in NA until Christmas 08.... Sony still has alot of brand power in the US... it is just too expensive, and is still lacking that exclusive game that has major appeal... GTA was that for the PS2, but it is not exclusive. FFVII was that for the PSX, but now XIII is not exclusive(I do not think FF has the impact that it used to btw). Right now it looks like a whole lot is riding on GT5. ONE game M$ cannot buy.

Before you say it I might as well shoot it down. MGS is not a univerally appeally game. It is very hardcore in nature, and has been as long as I can remember.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 will eventually outsell the X360 in every region of the world except for NA which will see the PS3 in front eventually in three to four years time. Japan and Europe the PS3 is heavily outselling X360.

I'm sorry but that whole sentence is whack.  You start by saying the PS3 will outsell the 360 in every region. You then say except for NA, and then you go on to say IT WILL outsell it in NA, but only in 3-4 years... it kind of makes me chuckle when I read it!

Just kiss the tip.