By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - America sales up!!! Normal week?! what stands out?

Eh, not good sales for PS3. The 80 gig probably wouldn't have contributed that much more. It's the summer so it's normal for sales to be slipping, but it's pretty obvious that the 399 price point is getting too saturated, or people just are starting to lose interest in the PS3.

Around the Network

Agreed actually - Sony will have enough to cheer about this month, but MS definitely won't.

The problem for Sony though, is this:
- PS3 gets GTA4 & MGS4 (two of the biggest and most anticipated titles this gen)
- Wii gets ... nothing? (restocked?)
- Wii (at least) doubles PS3 sales for the month.

(is it a 4 or 5 week for NPD reporting this month?)

PS3 could be in the 350k-400k region for the month - but the Wii could hit 800k (or even 1m, if its a 5 week period and Ninty keep the shipments up)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

leo-j said:
When the wii hits 30 million and its still sold out, thats it I know it won no matter what.

It will be close. They are going to start shipping like mad so retailers can build up for the holidays. So you will see them on the shelves this summer.

@leo-j:
You mean a million and a half from now which at this rate will take less than 2 months?

Actually the craziest part of this is the fact that the Wii should settle close to 500k for the week and PS360 close to 275/280k for the week. If HD sales drop and Wii sales go up just a bit Wii could not only outsell HD sales combined it could do so twice over!

cloudy-spikey said:After july 2 , everybody will know, believe me.

Naw I doubt it, but PS3 sales will spike in NA for that week due to the LARGE shipment of 80gb ps3's.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
When the wii hits 30 million and its still sold out, thats it I know it won no matter what.

What if the Wii passes 30 million and is selling better than ever, but isn't sold out?

I hope you are not still under the belief that as soon as the Wii is in stock it's sales will fall dramatically.

I was at the local Target on the morning and evening they stocked both a new load of Wiis and some 80GB PS3s (which I was surprised to see -- their distributor must have had some laying around? no idea).

I came back that evening (was hoping for a Wii Fit shipment that they just hadn't unpacked that morning, for the same reason the place seems to have 80GB PS3s when it shouldn't), and I saw the last Wii and last PS3 go out the door together, under the arms of some broad-smiling gamer. He had a pal with him (also grinning) carrying an Arcade model 360 as well (of which there were several left in stock, alongside the other 360 models). Good times for them this summer, I guess. Target didn't have any 40GB PS3s left either, but the Fred Meyer across the street had several 40GB models left in stock.

Are Americans really so thrifty as to settle for nothing but the bundle deal, where they feel like they have gotten the most from their money? Is BC a lot more important than Sony/MS appear to believe?

TWRoO said:
leo-j said:

What if the Wii passes 30 million and is selling better than ever, but isn't sold out?

I hope you are not still under the belief that as soon as the Wii is in stock it's sales will fall dramatically.

Im going to have to wait for E3 to comment on wii sales.

mM

For everybody hoping for a huge boost after the 7/5 restock just don't get too optimistic.

There'll be less people who are hunting it down than there were at the MGS4 launch obviously. Plus for launch Sony had months of planning to stock up on 80gigs and i'm guessing they didn't realize the hype for that SKU so they didn't prep well to handle it after launch. I'm guessing this replenishment is going to be much much smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells out right away but just in a much smaller quantity.

azrm2k said:

@leo-j:
You mean a million and a half from now which at this rate will take less than 2 months?

Actually the craziest part of this is the fact that the Wii should settle close to 500k for the week and PS360 close to 275/280k for the week. If HD sales drop and Wii sales go up just a bit Wii could not only outsell HD sales combined it could do so twice over!

Please remind me,why are people still buying a wii again? Software>>Hardware. Is the wii some kind of new age toy??