By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - bioware vs blizzard

memory2zack said:
Blizzard takes too much time to release its games. If every company did that and had their ressources we would be flooded with AAA games. Besides, it´s not to their advantage as a developer to take so much time for a game. A splendid developer is one that achieves making a AAA title in a limited amount of time with limited ressources. That´s not Blizzard´s case.

Please tell me I read that wrong.  Are you implying that if every game released was AAA that would be a bad thing?  And how is it a bad thing that they take their time?  They make the game as close to perfect as is possible and in return they get rewarded for it with huge sales.  And who makes a lot of AAA titles in a limited amount of time with limited resources?  Limited resources implies a small company and small companies not named Insomniac don't pump out tons of titles.

Around the Network

I love pretty much every game from both companies so I won't rate one over the other. They're both very good at what they do and I'm extremely interested to see how BioWare transitions into a larger developer (what do they have in development right now, 5-6 games?).

Sonic RPG will probably be the first Sonic game worth playing since the original Sonic Rush for DS. Let's hope BioWare lets us murder every annoying side character (here's looking at you, Knuckles).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Blizzard by lightyears. I loved Bioware's RPGs but they are simply good games. They are not the masterpieces Blizzard puts out every single new game release. They currently OWN 2 genres and only can see more coming to their side.

cwbys21 said:

Please tell me I read that wrong.  Are you implying that if every game released was AAA that would be a bad thing?  And how is it a bad thing that they take their time?  They make the game as close to perfect as is possible and in return they get rewarded for it with huge sales.  And who makes a lot of AAA titles in a limited amount of time with limited resources?  Limited resources implies a small company and small companies not named Insomniac don't pump out tons of titles.

It´s not bad to take your time, but Blizzard takes a decenny for a sequel. Most developers work with limited ressources, they can´t afford paying their staff for years and years without bearing any fruits.  A good developer can make a new AAA game every 3-5 years.

Blizzard is all about online gaming. Single player is not anything special, there´s barely a decent story and you get bored pretty quickly. But once you start playing online, you get hooked. Blizzard keeps on pumping new content and expansions to treat their userbase. I won´t  deny that Blizzard are kings in online gaming, but as far as the classic single player game goes Bioware are lightyears ahead.

Its really not fair to compare the 2 as they make different types of games and each dev does an excelent job in their respective bailiwicks.It all comes down to what type of game you prefer to play. Personally I prefer Bioware over Blizzard as their games focus more on story and character development than Bilzzard's do.

Black Isle/Interplay and Bioware all kinda run together in the Bauldars Gate era as they collaberated a lot on each others projects. Biowares Infinity engine almost made them bigger as a engine provider than a developer at the time. Biowares games always seemed better to me when Black Isle had some input on them.

Peronally Id like to see Bioware absorb some of the remanants of Black Isle from Obsidian and Trokia to expand their studio.

Around the Network

blizzard is the king of mmo and rts. They put out masterpieces. So my hates off to blizzard.

But bioware also rocks major ass. And its unfair to compare the two since they are in different genre.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

SpookyXJ said:

Personally I prefer Bioware over Blizzard as their games focus more on story and character development than Bilzzard's do.

Huh? Starcraft and Warcraft are two of the most story-rich universes in gaming.

^but so are baldurs gate,star wars knights of the old republic and mass effect

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

MrOuija_AK said:
SpookyXJ said:

Personally I prefer Bioware over Blizzard as their games focus more on story and character development than Bilzzard's do.

Huh? Starcraft and Warcraft are two of the most story-rich universes in gaming.

Where is the plot? Where is the narative?

The story in starcraft as far as I remember was pretty secondary to the game IMO. Its been a long time though I remeber very little about it(as in forgetable) which says a lot as I really enjoyed the gameplay. The first warcraft game I remember having much of a story was 3 and it easily forgetable for me as well. Its kinda difficult for a RTS to tell a compelling narative as it does not fit well into the gameplay. WOW no real story there as far as I saw. Nothing that hooked me and made me say I want to see how the story turns out. Actually I found myself wondering where is the story, whats the goal, whats here to motivate me to keep playing?   Plenty of character development but I only spent about 3 months on it before I got tired of the grind and quit. That leaves Diablo 1 & 2 which I consider one of Blizzards best series and  a lot of fun but I could not recount the story other that kill stuff collect gear and sell it. The game play in Blizzards titles are memorable to me but not the storys .  

Compare that to BG 1 and 2 + expansions with the exception of Tales,  some of the wonderful modules that sprang from NWN along with Shadows and Hordes(the OC sucked but I still remeber the feeble plot), and Mass Effect. All games that the plot, narative, and its delivery not only sucked me in but stuck with me over the years. All games in the same vein as Fallout 1&2, Betrayal at Krondor, and my personal favorite Planescape: Torment. The narative in these games is much more of a primary focus than yout typical blizzard title. The storys are what make me remember these titles fondly. The gameplay for the most part was pretty fun as well as long as ya like typical AD&D fare.

Definitely Blizzard. I'm actually playing through Diablo II right now. I really can't wait for Diablo III