By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live should be free now...

I have a gold account and I don't mind paying the yearly fee. XBL offers alot more. Just my opinion. PSN even with trophies and in-game XMB is still light years behind XBL.

Sony still has to add more content. More videos, demos, downloadble content, etc. I go in to the Playstation store and it's like walking in to a place that just opened its doors. They have good stuff but selection isn't as good as the place that has been open longer I'll know I'll find what I'm looking for.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network

Last I checked, Basic Online Play for the 360 was more robust with what was/is integrated than other systems ATM, and MS has done far more to push DLC, and other components (mandatory online compatibility) than Sony has.

So if that $3/mo fee goes to that, I don't see what the problem is?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Last I checked, Basic Online Play for the 360 was more robust with what was/is integrated than other systems ATM, and MS has done far more to push DLC, and other components (mandatory online compatibility) than Sony has.

So if that $3/mo fee goes to that, I don't see what the problem is?

Can I go on my Wii, boot up a game, go online and play? Check

Can I go on my PS3, boot up a game, go online and play? Check

Can I go on my 360, boot up a game, go online and play? Subscription Fee required.

What does it offer that makes it worth that price, that is what I want to know.

People keep claiming Demos, DLC, Videos, etc... but problem is that isn't what MS is charging you for, I get that with a Silver account.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

eNamrah said:
How many people on Xbox Live actually have gold accounts? They're certainly in the minority. There are supposedly 10+ million Xbox Live members and not all of them are gold.

Actually, there are 17.7 Million XBL users and 10 Million are Gold Members.

Source: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/01/07/10-million-xbox-live-gold-users-getting-a-free-arcade-game-after-holiday-2007-downtime-issues.htm

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

XGamer0611 said:
eNamrah said:
How many people on Xbox Live actually have gold accounts? They're certainly in the minority. There are supposedly 10+ million Xbox Live members and not all of them are gold.

Actually, there are 17.7 Million XBL users and 10 Million are Gold Members.

Source: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/01/07/10-million-xbox-live-gold-users-getting-a-free-arcade-game-after-holiday-2007-downtime-issues.htm

Holy ish! I thought the 10 million figure was for total accounts. Thanks for the link. I guess that makes more sense. Okay, so 56% of Live members have gold.

Anyway MS didn't update this past Spring, so perhaps they have a large one in store for the Fall. If not, I'll be disappointed.

Around the Network

It's funny to me how many people think MS needs to make Live free because the PSN is finally getting some equivalent features.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

LOL, I love these threads. At $0.14 a day I will just lay off the accelerator when I am off to work. Some companies just decide to eat the costs of developers, engineers, hardware, infrastructure, etc., but Microsoft decides not to. Why is it justifiable for WoW to charge monthly and Guild Wars not?

My Gold account ran out last week. It's cool, because I haven't been playing online for about a month. I'm going to wait until E3 before I renew (and I WILL renew). I personally hope that Live will be free, but I really don't think that Live (or the PSN for that matter) SHOULD be free. Both offer a lot, and both companies have already lost soooo much money........

Goddbless said:
It's funny to me how many people think MS needs to make Live free because the PSN is finally getting some equivalent features.

how so ? if a competitor is offering a equall or similar product then a rival should respond by either .

A.Further imrpoving/differentiate product

B.Price Cuts

Basic business really.

JaggedSac said:
LOL, I love these threads. At $0.14 a day I will just lay off the accelerator when I am off to work. Some companies just decide to eat the costs of developers, engineers, hardware, infrastructure, etc., but Microsoft decides not to. Why is it justifiable for WoW to charge monthly and Guild Wars not?

Because neither one of them is Microsoft. We all know Microsoft is the most evil money hungry company in the world! /sarcasm

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo