By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live should be free now...

XGamer0611 said:
eNamrah said:
How many people on Xbox Live actually have gold accounts? They're certainly in the minority. There are supposedly 10+ million Xbox Live members and not all of them are gold.

Actually, there are 17.7 Million XBL users and 10 Million are Gold Members.

Source: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/01/07/10-million-xbox-live-gold-users-getting-a-free-arcade-game-after-holiday-2007-downtime-issues.htm

That article is dead wrong. The actual quote from MS doesn't say anything about 17m or 10m figures.

Firstly, its from the start of the year - there were around 17m 360s sold to date (lifetime), and I'm pretty sure not all of them are online.

Last figures I heard were about 10-12m online 360s, with 6-7m paying Gold Live subscribers. To date, I don't think MS has *ever* released the actual number of paying Live subscribers (just the number of total - Gold + Silver, or accounts).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

It shouldnt be free. People still pay for games like WOW while other "free" MMO's have died along the way. People will pay for quality on line services.

I seldom play online but have no problem paying for gold.
its a good online service and pretty cheap. great demos which you dont have to pay for and when you feel like jumping into a game its a1.

No they shouldn't. A damn load of people pay for gold, even if I tell them that 10 years of gold is 500 bucks. Microsoft need live to make money.

makingmusic476 said:
mrstickball said:
Gold (I think) accounts for 50% of users.

FYI: Gold is about $35 a month where I live. If I used XBL a lot, I'd use gold, and enjoy it.

If you want to pine on and on about how great Sony is for taking almost 2 years to catch up to what XBL has in some areas of functionality, feel free to. What's stopping MS from announcing their next wave of XBL features that'll stomp out what little stuff Sony has done?

Like the Spring Dashboard update that never appeared?

its harder to lead than follow.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

sony needs to deliver, you can just keep taking their word for it sony fanboys.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

NJ5 said:

I think they'd rather keep getting Xbox Live money than winning the non-prize for 2nd place in the console war...

Remember that the more users they have, the more expensive it is to run the service, so as time goes by it will get more and more expensive.

If they realize they're getting hurt due to Sony's updates, then they can act... by default, they won't.

Nicely done.

If there are 6-8 million gold subscribers, that makes 300-400 million dollars a year, which gives them the ability to purchase exclusive content and pay developers/engineers to improve the service.  If you think they are gonna drop that much money when people are willing to pay for it, you are incredibly naive.  And if you think people are going to stop paying for it just because PSN is managing to inch its way towards Live's features, you are doubly naive.  The people I know have loyalty to Live and will pay to play for the rest of the generation.  As long as the 360 continues to great online games, people will pay.

And the Spring dashboard update did not come because they are working on something big for the Fall.

Microsoft Games division hit the snooze a long time ago it seems. I'll speculate they are trying not to push XBL too hard this year so it won't collapse again.

dbot said:
What is the difference between a XBL Gold and Silver account? Is it just the ability to play games online? It has to be something more than that for $50.

No, it's just online play. Unless of course someone is truly foolish enough to believe that getting a free demo a week or so before a silver member is worth money too.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Strategyking92 said:
sony needs to deliver, you can just keep taking their word for it sony fanboys.

What haven't they delivered? Games can be played online can they not?

It has nothing to do with being "fanboys", it has to do with some people feeling that something that everyone else gives for free is being charged for by someone else and they do not agree with it.

If you want to keep paying for something that everyone else gets for free, and believe others are foolish for not thinking the same way.............. be my guest.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!