By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live should be free now...

2PostsUp^^Comment on WoW and Guild Wars. Where are the costs for these servers, developers, engineers different? When Blizzard makes ALOT of content they release an expansion pack so you can't use content development as a reason.

Using your logic, MMOs should no longer charge monthly because of Guild Wars(and many more that are free).

Around the Network
Million said:
Goddbless said:
It's funny to me how many people think MS needs to make Live free because the PSN is finally getting some equivalent features.

how so ? if a competitor is offering a equall or similar product then a rival should respond by either .

A.Further imrpoving/differentiate product

B.Price Cuts

Basic business really.

Because I heard the same arguments last gen with Playstation Online vs. Xbox Live. Sony fans claimed they both offered the same things and Live should be free. Now Sony starts to get some decent features that Xbox Live has had for years and the argument starts again.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

mrstickball said:
Gold (I think) accounts for 50% of users.

FYI: Gold is about $35 a month where I live. If I used XBL a lot, I'd use gold, and enjoy it.

If you want to pine on and on about how great Sony is for taking almost 2 years to catch up to what XBL has in some areas of functionality, feel free to. What's stopping MS from announcing their next wave of XBL features that'll stomp out what little stuff Sony has done?

That won't happen b/c isn't much more that MS ( and soon to be Sony as well) could feasibly add to its online services and if you beleive that there is any such service that can/should be added please let me know, b/c I would like to be on the lookout for it coming out.

-dallas

XGamer0611 said:
eNamrah said:
How many people on Xbox Live actually have gold accounts? They're certainly in the minority. There are supposedly 10+ million Xbox Live members and not all of them are gold.

Actually, there are 17.7 Million XBL users and 10 Million are Gold Members.

Source: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/01/07/10-million-xbox-live-gold-users-getting-a-free-arcade-game-after-holiday-2007-downtime-issues.htm

Wow that is certainly more than I thought there were. Nice find. Anyways, as I posted in another thread, it is up to the consumer to decide if the 50$ is worth what XBL has to offer. And IMHO it is. Im not sure why people are bashing XBL as this thread is clearly directed at XBL users and their opinions regarding the price tag.

As said b/f the core audience of the 360 is somewhere between 18-32. Im willing to bet that most ppl in that range who have a willingness to play online can spare 50$. But who am I to decide and tell them? You could consider a silver account as a demo and see for yourself if XBL is worth it.

Theres no point in bashing either service. Heck I like them both but I have no problem paying 50$ a year for the service. And yes I do believe that even with the much welcomed update 2.4 XBL is better but thats just my opinion. Coming from someone who played WoW for years paying 180$ a year, 50$ a year for a great online system seems like a steal.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

it is funny that the PS3-supporters want Xbox Live to be free while the xbox-supporters are willing to pay for this offer.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
dallas said:
mrstickball said:

FYI: Gold is about $35 a month where I live. If I used XBL a lot, I'd use gold, and enjoy it.

If you want to pine on and on about how great Sony is for taking almost 2 years to catch up to what XBL has in some areas of functionality, feel free to. What's stopping MS from announcing their next wave of XBL features that'll stomp out what little stuff Sony has done?

That won't happen b/c isn't much more that MS ( and soon to be Sony as well) could feasibly add to its online services and if you beleive that there is any such service that can/should be added please let me know, b/c I would like to be on the lookout for it coming out.

-dallas

If all people were like you there would be no innovation or inventions.

possibly, but you aren't even giving an example of something that XBL should add...

Nope. Seems to me that people who have Gold subscriptions are happy to pay for it. Microsoft would be stupid to not charge for something the fans think is worth it. Put yourself in Microsoft's shoes....would you charge? I know I would. edit: Maybe I'd lower the price, but ONLY I saw something happening in the market that would force me to do so(i.e. PS3 sustains sales spike, XBL Gold membership begins to decline significantly.) But only then.

Wow, there are a couple people in here that are hell bent on giving Microsoft their money for something that is nearly identical to a FREE service on another platform. Get over it, PSN is literally half a step from being identical feature wise to XBL, and you are paying 50 bucks a year for XBL.

Its simple. If they want to continue to "dominate" the online front, they need to either release a completely over hauled service that far outstrips PSN, or they need to make their service cheaper than PSN. Since PSN is free, they can only make theirs free or completely overhaul their service. Its simple business.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

mrstickball said:

Sounds like someone has been drinking the PStriple DOminatION juice I'm sure MS has a host of features to stomp PS3 on the ground.  They're just waiting until they lose weekly to the PS3.  Nevermind.  They're just waiting until Sony Catches up with 2.4... Nevermind. 

Where was I going with this again?