By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How long will it take for SONY to redesign the PS3?

Maybe around 2010.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

Around the Network

near end of life for the PS3...

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Towards the end of the lifecycle, when its feasable to invest in the design, and much cheaper to produce it due to lower costs of current generation technology.

In other words, too late to matter for what you guys want to see it for, lol.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I predict 2010.Sometime that year,for sure.

SONY will do an internal redesign first...

External re-designs will wait untill SONY believe's it'll boost sales ... the case for PS3 can't cost that much to manufacture...

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
near end of life for the PS3...

So not until 2017?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Does anyone noticed that the PS3 slim mock-up is a bad Photoshop job on a Wii??

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Aprisaiden said:
SONY will do an internal redesign first...

External re-designs will wait untill SONY believe's it'll boost sales ... the case for PS3 can't cost that much to manufacture...

its not only the case, it would also reduce costs for the packaging. smaller consoles would also cost less to ship..., but its true for now the internal redesigns will gain them more cost reduction.  but if they do a complete internal overhaul they might as well do the external at same time if its possible so if they can shrink cell, rsx, cooling & mianboard at same time then it would mkae sense to make a compleet redesign.

NJ5 said:
They took almost 5 years with the PS2... If that's any indication, it's not going to be anytime soon.

It's not a good indication to go by really , the PS2's situation is entirley different from the PS3's , i'm sure Sony could have managed a slim PS2 in 2.5 years or less if it was needed.

PS3s currently use a 2.5" HDD slot, right? If they move to a 1.5" HDD (think iPod mini, when they still existed), they could potentially save a lot of space, but it would add to the cost significantly (which, if they are aiming to cut costs, wouldn't be ideal).

They could probably rip out the power supply and give it an external power brick, and depending on how corporate power dynamics have changed in the last year and a half, this article may no longer hold water, although we'll see. That's only displaced size, though, not really eliminated per se. The Wii does fine with its external brick, but it also only draws like 20W, so who knows.

All told, if all they have to change is a 33% reduction in mobo size (which actually wasn't said, but it's an overestimate based on the heat sink shrinkage) I wouldn't expect a full slimline. If they change their minds about the power brick, then yes, but it will still be limited by the large HDD. If they switch to a smaller form factor HDD, then *maybe* they'd be looking at a significantly smaller machine.

All told, I don't think it's viable enough at this point to expect a full slimline PS3. One more process shrink might do it, as might being able to replace the HDD with NAND memory after a few more process shrinks and price drops there.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)