By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How long will it take for SONY to redesign the PS3?

@ NJ5 )

it doesn't have to be indicative

I think this time they are far more pressed to make a slimmer model and to bring it to the market quickly, so I expect it by winter 2009 at the latest.

Around the Network

The sooner the better, less materials over the millions they will make would save money. I think that strategically it would be best to do this in a bundle at the release of FF13. Supposedly one of the things holding it back in Japan (there are many but this is supposed to be one) is the size as most Japanese don't live in big houses like we do in the US (and probably a lot in Europe also) so space is limited and many don't want a big console (which might be why hand helds have taken off lately).  A high profile release along with a shrink down would generate interest.

a good few years yet

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Lafiel said:
@ NJ5 )

it doesn't have to be indicative

I think this time they are far more pressed to make a slimmer model and to bring it to the market quickly, so I expect it by winter 2009 at the latest.

Yeah, I think they're more pressed this time. But the console has more stuff than the PS2, with the hard drive and all.

Oh well, we can only speculate... I'd say they'll take at the very least three years to do it (from launch), meaning end of 2009 the earliest.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

so, if they redesign it, anyone think itll boost sales, cost cheaper?

Around the Network
alucardremixed said:
so, if they redesign it, anyone think itll boost sales, cost cheaper?

Cost cheaper? Probably, depending on what/when price cuts will have happened before.

Sales:

In USA/Others, it will probably cause a temporary boost like any other change in hardware (due to people rebuying and giving away/selling their used consoles). A permanent boost is unlikely.

In Japan, it will cause a temporary boost, and potentially a permanent boost because Japanese people appreciate small devices.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

the company that makes the ps3 heatsinks announced 4-5 months ago that the prototype heatsink for the new 45nm cell was 33% smaller than the current heatsink

current heatsink alongside mobo

the 45nm cell and the 65nm rsx are supposedly going to be coming late 2008 early 2009.  They can already cut down the size of the console a bit with the removal of the ps2 componets from the original model and the use of the 65nm cell.  (smaller power supply, smaller mobo). So I predict first half of 2009.

skip said:

the company that makes the ps3 heatsinks announced 4-5 months ago that the prototype heatsink for the new 45nm cell was 33% smaller than the current heatsink

current heatsink alongside mobo

the 45nm cell and the 65nm rsx are supposedly going to be coming late 2008 early 2009.  They can already cut down the size of the console a bit with the removal of the ps2 componets from the original model and the use of the 65nm cell.  (smaller power supply, smaller mobo). So I predict first half of 2009.

Thats all the proof i need.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

not bad, anyone else think the competition might redesign, other than xbox probably gonna release next gen earlier than expected. Nintendo didn't redesign the gamecube(it was small enough) any opinions?

Falcon095 said:
Won't happend anytime soon, as NJ5 said, i took them 5 years to redesign the ps2, but i think they will make it faster for the PS3 as it need it.

because the ps2 didnt need a new design because it was selling by heaps anyway. i am sure sony would have  made it alot smaller sooner if it had to