By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How long will it take for SONY to redesign the PS3?

I would say during 2010 a slimline PS3 will appear and a $199 price tag on the PS3.

Around the Network

im saying also in 2010.

Once they update the CPU and GPU to 45nm

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Sometime next year would be smart, whether or not it will be possible or tenable by that time though is another question.

im ecpecting a redisign in 2009

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I would say late 2009 as well. It seems as though the problems they will face doing so will be iron out by this time.

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

alpha_dk said:
PS3s currently use a 2.5" HDD slot, right? If they move to a 1.5" HDD (think iPod mini, when they still existed), they could potentially save a lot of space, but it would add to the cost significantly (which, if they are aiming to cut costs, wouldn't be ideal).

They could probably rip out the power supply and give it an external power brick, and depending on how corporate power dynamics have changed in the last year and a half, this article may no longer hold water, although we'll see. That's only displaced size, though, not really eliminated per se. The Wii does fine with its external brick, but it also only draws like 20W, so who knows.

All told, if all they have to change is a 33% reduction in mobo size (which actually wasn't said, but it's an overestimate based on the heat sink shrinkage) I wouldn't expect a full slimline. If they change their minds about the power brick, then yes, but it will still be limited by the large HDD. If they switch to a smaller form factor HDD, then *maybe* they'd be looking at a significantly smaller machine.

All told, I don't think it's viable enough at this point to expect a full slimline PS3. One more process shrink might do it, as might being able to replace the HDD with NAND memory after a few more process shrinks and price drops there.

Regarding the power brick that's what Sony did with the PS2, right? It originally had the power supply built-in (on the fat PS2) and when they turned it into the slim PS2 it had a power brick. Though I think with the newer slim PS2's they now have the power supply built-in again. I'm not sure about the PSOne as I only had the old, regular PS1 system.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
alpha_dk said:
PS3s currently use a 2.5" HDD slot, right? If they move to a 1.5" HDD (think iPod mini, when they still existed), they could potentially save a lot of space, but it would add to the cost significantly (which, if they are aiming to cut costs, wouldn't be ideal).

They could probably rip out the power supply and give it an external power brick, and depending on how corporate power dynamics have changed in the last year and a half, this article may no longer hold water, although we'll see. That's only displaced size, though, not really eliminated per se. The Wii does fine with its external brick, but it also only draws like 20W, so who knows.

All told, if all they have to change is a 33% reduction in mobo size (which actually wasn't said, but it's an overestimate based on the heat sink shrinkage) I wouldn't expect a full slimline. If they change their minds about the power brick, then yes, but it will still be limited by the large HDD. If they switch to a smaller form factor HDD, then *maybe* they'd be looking at a significantly smaller machine.

All told, I don't think it's viable enough at this point to expect a full slimline PS3. One more process shrink might do it, as might being able to replace the HDD with NAND memory after a few more process shrinks and price drops there.

Regarding the power brick that's what Sony did with the PS2, right? It originally had the power supply built-in (on the fat PS2) and when they turned it into the slim PS2 it had a power brick. Though I think with the newer slim PS2's they now have the power supply built-in again. I'm not sure about the PSOne as I only had the old, regular PS1 system.

Yes, that is one of the things they did.  Also, if the new slim PS2s are the silver ones then they are definitely still a brick.

Eventually, that will be one of the best ways remaining for them to remove space for the slimline.  It will almost certainly have to be done whenever they do the slimline, I am just not sure what caused them to make the statements they made in the article i linked about how internal is 'better'.  I assume because it takes up less space absolutely (not as much need for protection) and wastes less energy, but hey, I'm not the electrical engineer here, they are

Like I said, though, I wouldn't expect it with this next process drop.  *Probably* one more will be necessary.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

smbu2000 said:
alpha_dk said:

crappy pic of ps1 slim power brick

alpha_dk said:
smbu2000 said:
alpha_dk said:

Yes, that is one of the things they did.  Also, if the new slim PS2s are the silver ones then they are definitely still a brick.

Eventually, that will be one of the best ways remaining for them to remove space for the slimline.  It will almost certainly have to be done whenever they do the slimline, I am just not sure what caused them to make the statements they made in the article i linked about how internal is 'better'.  I assume because it takes up less space absolutely (not as much need for protection) and wastes less energy, but hey, I'm not the electrical engineer here, they are

Like I said, though, I wouldn't expect it with this next process drop.  *Probably* one more will be necessary.

I think it may only be in the newer Japanese slimline models then, but it might be in other countries now, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2#Slimline

"Another refinement of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-90000) was announced for release in Japan on November 22, 2007, with an overhauled internal design that incorporates the power supply into the console itself, with a further reduced total weight of 720 grams. This new edition has now also made it to retail in many countries."

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"