By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2008 best year of gaming?

leo-j said:
shio said:

Maybe. If Starcraft 2 gets released this year, then I'd say it has good chances to dethrone 1998 from the "Best Year of Gaming" spot.

If both Starcraft 2 and Dragon Age get released this year, then I'd say it will be the Best Year of Gaming.

And just like 1998, it seems it will be PC who will have the biggest share of Awesome Games. But to be honest, 2009 seems like it might have an even better lineup.

On topic:

Yea 2007 beat 1998, and its obvious 2008 will beat 07, as the greatest year of gaming:

MGS4

GTA 4

BIOSHOCK RETURNS

STAR CRAFT 2

SPORE

LITTLE BIG PLANET

SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL

GEARS OF WAR 2

and more

yep seems to be one of the best years of gaming.

2007 didn't best 1998. It came a bit close, but come on!! There was several genre-defining games in 1998, and I can barely think of any in 2007.

As for PC, it easily has the best lineup this year:

SPORE

Starcraft 2

Empire: Total War

Dragon Age (but it probably will be pushed to 2009 )

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Crysis Warhead

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Sins of a Solar Empire

A Vampyre Story (The next Grim Fandango? GF was released in 1998, ironically)

Guild Wars 2 (but it probably will be pushed to 2009 )

Space Siege

Storm of War: Battle of Britain

GTR Evolution

Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor (94% on Metacritic )

there's alot more games, but i'm not listing them all.

Around the Network
shio said:
leo-j said:
shio said:

Maybe. If Starcraft 2 gets released this year, then I'd say it has good chances to dethrone 1998 from the "Best Year of Gaming" spot.

If both Starcraft 2 and Dragon Age get released this year, then I'd say it will be the Best Year of Gaming.

And just like 1998, it seems it will be PC who will have the biggest share of Awesome Games. But to be honest, 2009 seems like it might have an even better lineup.

On topic:

Yea 2007 beat 1998, and its obvious 2008 will beat 07, as the greatest year of gaming:

MGS4

GTA 4

BIOSHOCK RETURNS

STAR CRAFT 2

SPORE

LITTLE BIG PLANET

SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL

GEARS OF WAR 2

and more

yep seems to be one of the best years of gaming.

2007 didn't best 1998. It came a bit close, but come on!! There was several genre-defining games in 1998, and I can barely think of any in 2007.

As for PC, it easily has the best lineup this year:

SPORE

Starcraft 2

Empire: Total War

Dragon Age (but it probably will be pushed to 2009 )

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Crysis Warhead

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Sins of a Solar Empire

A Vampyre Story (The next Grim Fandango? GF was released in 1998, ironically)

Guild Wars 2 (but it probably will be pushed to 2009 )

Space Siege

Storm of War: Battle of Britain

GTR Evolution

Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor (94% on Metacritic )

there's alot more games, but i'm not listing them all.

Yea, but most of those games are on consoles...and even though they are "inferior" well offer basically the same experience, and 2007 was better than 98, we had amazing games last year.

mM

@Leo-J which ones? They all look exclusives to me. Except spore, but the wii version won't be anywhere near the level of the pc version.

one word: yes

@leo-j: I only mentioned PC exclusives.

Anyway, more on-topic, there's alot of parallel points between 1998 and 2008 such as Starcraft and MGS1 in 1998, and SC2 and MGS4 in 2008, but there seems to be lacking a good Zelda game to replace Ocarina of Time.

Around the Network

I think it is, a lot of very good games together.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

brute said:
pichu_pichu said:
well it's the best year for DS

im thinkinhg its the best for everything

yeah, we had a lot of great games already out this year, Can't wait to see even more this E3

It looks like it should be good. But until all the games are out we dont how they will all be.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

for me its still 1998 MGS and OOT in the same year, that alone makes it the best year not mention starcraft

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

we'll see what E3 brings to define this year.