By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 hardware shortages

I think most people are overestimating the want for the 80gig

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
CDiablo said:

I hardly think so. Any past ps2 owner who wants to upgrade to ps3 would probably want the 80gb. I was glad I got the 60gb because my ps2 is dying and I usually only keep one console per generation. In my eyes, the 40gb has no value. You might as well get an xbox 360 because there will be more games to play except you're a true metal gear fan!

I purchased the former xbox last gen because I had to play NG and then sigma landed on ps3!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Ps3_GOW said:

You guys should all move to Canada, where I'm from nobody buys consoles or games so when I go to walmart there always over stalked. I went to Walmart Saturday there was about 20 - 25 Metal gear solid games a couple of Playstation 3's on display, all kinds of Xbox 360's and Wii's. I don't know what the demand for the guitar hero 3 for the wii is anymore but there was about 15 of them on display trying to sell.

Where do you live in Canada?  I have only ever seen a Wii once in Walmart, I have never seen GHIII Will bundle in any store.  I've always seen PS3's and 360's stocked (and overstocked), but for the GHIII and Wii's available something must be up.

Pristine20 said:
CDiablo said:

I hardly think so. Any past ps2 owner who wants to upgrade to ps3 would probably want the 80gb. I was glad I got the 60gb because my ps2 is dying and I usually only keep one console per generation. In my eyes, the 40gb has no value. You might as well get an xbox 360 because there will be more games to play except you're a true metal gear fan!

I purchased the former xbox last gen because I had to play NG and then sigma landed on ps3!

The 60 GB and 80 GB versions have been available for a long time and PS3 wasn't selling like hot cakes back then. When releasing a small batch of them there might be some temporarely higher demand, but looking at the past it doesn't seem to make a big difference in the long run. By the way, do we know if Sony is even still producing 80 GB versions or are the ones they ship now still old versions they have left? Cause creating them in such small volumes probably makes their production price relatively high.

Bokal said:
80GB with MGS4 would be 500€ in europe, which is roughly 800$

SCEE is not taking care at all of us Europeans, while we are their biggest buyers, and by far.

Late hardware release.
1,5 the price.
No 80Gb hardware yet.
Late PSN releases.
Games are also 1.5 the price: 70€ is 110$

I love my PS3, but WTF!
Actually... we're still buying so why would they care?
Sad... very sad...
Sony should (and could) make the PS3 300€ (it would still be more expensive than in the US...) THAT would make huge sales, a lot more than a 500€ 80Gb PS3...

(MS and Ninty does the same anyway...)

Problem is that when the ps3 launched, the disparity between the US$ and the Euro wasnt as bad. Due to extra taxes in the EU region, the pricing didn't seem as unfair. Now that the US economy is crashing, the pricing now seems very disparate. However, if the EU got a price cut, most simple-minded Americans would complain without fully understanding why. Regardless, Europeans may still be better off though because many Americans have not planned for expensive energy prices and other issues that plague them now that Europe has basically gotten over. A fine example is the absolute lack of public transportation in non-metropolitan areas of the US forcing people to drive the only car they have even if it happens to be a hummer.

In  other words, if the pricing were relatively equal to the EU now, most gamers would simply be non-gamers in the US and the EU would become the most important market. Gaming is growing in the EU region every year while NA seems to be saturating. Its only a matter of time before the gaming industry becomes eurocentric as opposed to American-centric as it is right now. We'll start seeing more games set in places like London, Berlin, Rome, Frankfurt, etc as opposed to the typical New York, LA... you get my point.

I'll be happy when this change occurs even though I live in the US because the ego of many Americans is unbecoming...they really do believe the world revolves around the US!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
Pristine20 said:
CDiablo said:

The 60 GB and 80 GB versions have been available for a long time and PS3 wasn't selling like hot cakes back then. When releasing a small batch of them there might be some temporarely higher demand, but looking at the past it doesn't seem to make a big difference in the long run. By the way, do we know if Sony is even still producing 80 GB versions or are the ones they ship now still old versions they have left? Cause creating them in such small volumes probably makes their production price relatively high.

back then the ps2 had more support and there wasn't really anything to play on ps3. the fact also remains that the 60gb and 80gb have always sold better than the 40gb.

when I compared the 3 nex gen consoles to decide which one I'll be moving to, I crossed thw wii out first because I have no interest in mario or motion controls. I use videogames to relax so I'd rather sit down and hold a controller. I also prefer 3D fighting games like tekke and Soul Calibur to something like SSBB. I work out at least three times a week so I hardly worry about fitness while focusing on my gaming hobby.

It was down to 360 vs PS3. Even though 360 had more games out and so many people hailing it. PS3 was the easy choice for reasons stated in my sig. But if it was 360 vs PS3 40gb  only, I would have bought the 360 and patiently waited for ffxiii before buying a PS3. That said, I may not be a true PS3 fanboy, I only defend it because so many people feel like they have to insult the console especially here in the US and especially at Gamestop.

largedarryl said:
Ps3_GOW said:

You guys should all move to Canada, where I'm from nobody buys consoles or games so when I go to walmart there always over stalked. I went to Walmart Saturday there was about 20 - 25 Metal gear solid games a couple of Playstation 3's on display, all kinds of Xbox 360's and Wii's. I don't know what the demand for the guitar hero 3 for the wii is anymore but there was about 15 of them on display trying to sell.

Where do you live in Canada?  I have only ever seen a Wii once in Walmart, I have never seen GHIII Will bundle in any store.  I've always seen PS3's and 360's stocked (and overstocked), but for the GHIII and Wii's available something must be up.

Let's just say I live in the Maritimes, and I'm serious there's all kinds of them here there's to many old people nobody buys games (I only know 2 people who owns a ps3 one of my friends and some creepy guy I met at walmart that talked about the ps3 for about hour and half).

(hmmm maybe I should buy all the wii's and guitar hero 3 and sell them on ebay)

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

kitler53 said:
so when the 40g was anounce and the forums exploded with "removing BC doesn't matter to anyone, if i want to play ps2 games i'll play them on my ps2. all the ps3 needs to sell well is a price reduction." can we officially say that was wrong?

someone just tell me i'm right 'cause that's what i want to hear. xD

Well they were right up through May. Now June hits and MGS4 doesnt make any sort of prolonged bump and now it is because the 80GB unit isnt available.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

back then the ps2 had more support and there wasn't really anything to play on ps3. the fact also remains that the 60gb and 80gb have always sold better than the 40gb.

Huh...Before the 40GB released at $400 the PS3 was a shinking ship. If I am not mistaken nearly all of this year the 40GB has been basically the only version available.  I dont follow the PS3 sales that close, but hasnt the PS3 already in 2008 outsold what the PS3 sold in 2007 (Minus December 2007). Talking NA only on that last bit.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

They have also screwed over with the PS3 MGS4 pack in Europe ....they have started to hit the market this week nearly 2 weeks after the release of the game.If they had been available by 12 they could have sold more.