By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1 of PS3s biggest critics is now a believer. will you soon be a believer 2?

JSF said:
I don't believe price is the issue. It's the marketing. They need to make it clear that it is not intended as just a gaming rig and that it is a full-blown entertainment center with high def video, media streaming, etc. All the PS3 commercials I've seen only show some demonstration of the games. What people want is value. This is often mistaken for price, but it's not the same. Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas are the top selling cars because of their value propositions, not because they're the lowest priced. Yes, there is a segment of people out there who are the most price-sensitive and will buy the Hyundai's and Kia's of the world. That's fine. These people will wait for price drops to buy.

I'll give on marketing, but considering that the mainstream market has associated the Playstation with gaming first, and considering that no Playstation has cost more than $300 (aside from the failed PSX DVR in Japan), even the best marketing will face an uphill battle. Yet it can still be done.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

whoever think price is not the biggest problem of the PS3 need a smack in the head. seriously how much lower the sale statatist have to be for you to realize its the price that is hurting the ps3 the most?? I guess fanboy will realize it when all Sony's 2007 line up flunk.

and for the original topic, those 10 thing wont make me a believer!!!!
like others say, those feature dont mean any value to me to justify that $600 price tag.

This sounds like a joke to me. Either that or Sony paid the guy a bunch of money, to write a bunch of crap.

None of what he talks about justifies the price or the machine. The only thing that will are GAMES, and that is one thing he didn't bother to mention!

What a joke... 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I don't think anyone would argue that the PS3 has a nice set of features. Most gamers just don't want to pay an extra $200-$300 for those features when they only want to play games. Who here would really turn down a free PS3, or not be able to get any enjoyment out of one?

All the things he said about the console are correct, and I agree with all of his positive comments about everything...

I'd love to own one but the price tag really fucks it up... this guy is lame to post these impressions of something he got for FREE... anything free is always better, just like crappy mcdonalds burgers, they taste better when they are free.

Around the Network

Obviously the market agrees too because we can clearly see the PS3 sales taking off in the last couple of weeks, I guess it was only a matter of time before the consumer came around and realized the superior system... oh wait... their sales haven't taken off... my bad... sorry... Didn't mean to get your hopes up.

It is definately price and marketing.

How is looking at a rubiks cube exploding make me understand WTH I am paying $600 for?

Also, you need to be fully equipped with a 1080p HDTV. Sure, you could have a 720p, but PS3 doesnt downscale too well. Great job at upscaling, though. Too many extra expenses.

first of all, you people who argue that it doesn't have good games, the 360 didn't have a great game until Gears, which was a year after it launched.
The ps3 is just getting all those games like R6 Vegas and Graw2 in a month or 2, and great exclusive games are coming (Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Metal gear solid 4, Ninja Gaiden, Lair) starting this summer and continuing till christmas.

just wait, the price will drop, games will come. next year, we won't even be having this discussion.

dannyphantom105 said:
first of all, you people who argue that it doesn't have good games, the 360 didn't have a great game until Gears, which was a year after it launched.
The ps3 is just getting all those games like R6 Vegas and Graw2 in a month or 2, and great exclusive games are coming (Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Metal gear solid 4, Ninja Gaiden, Lair) starting this summer and continuing till christmas.

just wait, the price will drop, games will come. next year, we won't even be having this discussion.

True. It was good, then, that 360 got a year head-start. Reason why PS3 lost exclusives, and could still loose some...

You are right. Next year, we will be discussing why, with all of that, PS3 sales didnt pick up as much as everyone expected...

About the PS3 power button: I'm assuming this is a feather-touch button? This is actually quite old technology (my dad's AKAI casette deck from circa 1978 had these buttons that you could literally blow on and they would activate) but is very cool to use, and very classy to boot. The buttons shouldn't add much to the cost of the console at all, being that this technology has been around for decades.

What I think is nifty about the Wii is the ability to power on and off the console with the remote. I assume the PS3 can do this? I'm pretty sure the 360 can't since I haven't seen a dedicated power button on the controller. As for the Wii, this is quite a nice consumer electronics-oriented feature, what you would find on virtually any TV, DVD player or Hi-Fi.

And I just noticed this yesterday, but since I don't own a PS3 or a 360 I'd like to see whether or not those two consoles have this cool feature on the Wii: Basically it's the soft Reset button on the interface that you invoke by pressing the Home button on the Wii remote. In all the other consoles I've ever owned (again, don't know about the 360 and the PS3) if you want to for whatever reason restart the game you have to actually hit the Reset hard button, which implies getting your butt off the couch and walking to the console. With the Wii you can simply do it via software, and you can just reset the game, not the entire console. That is excellent (not to mention convenient) usability design if you ask me.

I was playing Super Paper Mario last night and was kinda stuck somewhere so I just reset the game, and while I've done this countless times before, I just noticed its practicality last night. Do the other two consoles have this soft Reset feature?