By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1 of PS3s biggest critics is now a believer. will you soon be a believer 2?

BenKenobi88 said:
I could become a believer...if it didn't cost so much.
I second that emotion.  It's great this guy can afford to be a believer, just that unfortunately for Sony 90% of the market either can't or like me refuses to waste that amount on a video game system. 

Around the Network
albionus said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I could become a believer...if it didn't cost so much.
I second that emotion. It's great this guy can afford to be a believer, just that unfortunately for Sony 90% of the market either can't or like me refuses to waste that amount on a video game system.

From the looks of it, he didn't even pay for it either. 

1. The on off button

Seriously, that is not a reason to buy or like a console. I'm glad turning the PS3 on and off is so much fun, but really, who gives a crap? I, personally, was pleased you could turn the Wii on and off from the Wii-remote, and even THAT isn't a reason to get excited.

2. The UI

Yawn. Ok, its not a horror show. Really, do we expect anything less? All of this gen's consoles did alright here.

3. DVD upscaling

Don't get me started. Yeah, its great that the PS3 has a DVD upscaler. The fact that you noticed such a huge difference though is a direct result of the fact that you're previous setup was CRAP. If you'd purchased a TV with a good upscaler or a DVD player with a good upscaler this would be a non-event.

I'm glad so many people finally got their hands on a good upscaler via their PS3, but that's a lousy reason to buy a PS3.

4. Its quick.

Let me get this straight, your PC is quick, but 'not as quick as you might think', while your PS3 'takes some time to load' but its ok 'considering the sheer size and processing power'. Looks like you are both biased and rationalizing. Additionally, the entire Rainbow Six series of games have never been shining example of efficiency or performance. Comparing apples to oranges, you are.

5 Size/Weight

Its not as heavy as you might think? How do you know how heavy I think it is? And how is that useful information? Is it light enough to be easily portable? Would you think twice about popping it in a back pack and riding a bike to your friends house or taking it on a bus? If its not portable and its not meant to be, then really, what difference does it make how much it weighs? I don't judge my amplifier on its weight.

6 Wireless networking

You compare it to the xbox360's 'pricey peripheral' yet neglect that the Wii also has it built in. Moreover, you again neglect to mention that the xbox360 even after you add the pricey peripheral is still much cheaper than a PS3.  So whats the benefit exactly? Its not new or innovative - the Wii does it too. And its not great pack-in value given that the system costs so much more.

7 Wireless controller

So the most expensive system on the market ALSO has wireless controllers. If I were to say that it would sound sarcastic. Especially as again, even the Wii has these, and the Wii controllers frankly, ARE innovative, with built in memory, speaker, rumble, and IR camera-sensor, along with motion sensors. Really the whole SIXAXIS thing was an obvious attempt at cashing into the wii hype with a little 'me-too-ism'. Don't get me wrong, the new PS3 controllers are the best PS controllers out there, but really, if they'd been anything less I'd have been disappointed with them.

8 Graphics

Yep. they do look good. Do they look better than the xbox 360 or Wii though? In the case of the Wii, the answer is yes, a resounding yes even. The Wii doesn't even do HD resolution, nevermind many of the advanced graphics/texture/lighting/bump-mapping effects possible on the PS3. Compared to the 360 though...(or the PC) they're just meh. No better, no worse.

As for pushing a 46" TV hard? Are you serious....lots of people have 50's, 56's, 60's and beyond. If your seeing issues on a 46, which is just one size up above the baseline 42".

As  graphics getting better down the road. I'm sure they will. Same goes for every other system/platform out there too though.

9 Blu-Ray

Um... yeah. you said it yourself, HD movies don't look THAT much better than good upscaled DVD, especially on smaller HD sets like yours. Long term, is Blu-Ray the future? Sure, or HDDVD is, or perhaps it will die out like LaserDisc. Given that the price of BluRay players is falling like a stone, and bluray might not even be a relevant standard a few years from now calling an expensive blu-ray player a worthy investment is absurd.

2 years from now a lot of things could happen... if bluray becomes standard expect players to be sub $100. Making your 'investment' now hard to justify. And that's the best case... what if the war doesn't subside and all the players go hybrid? What if HDDVD takes the day? What if both formats flop a la laserdisc?

Sure if you got a big tv and/or can really see or care about the difference, and/or want the latest and greatest and/or can afford it, by all means get a BD player.  But don't call it an investment. Call it 'being price raped for being an early adopter of an unproven technology that might not be relevant in two years but its ok because I can afford it and I want to live on the bleeding edge!'

10 Its Quiet

Yes, compared to the 360 it is much quieter. But I'm sorry, are you saying that is a reason to buy one? The xbox 360 is loud enough that its a legitimate gripe about the product, but really, is that a reason to buy a PS3 instead? Your going to let the cooling fans be a deciding factor? vs... say ... the games you want to play.

And of course... lets be honest... the Wii, and any decent HTPC is equally quiet, so its not eerily quiet.

---

At the end of the day, all you've done is confirmed that the PS3 is essentially a well made product. That's enough to win you over? Seriously?

Give me a freaking break.  Nobody has ever claimed that the PS3 wasn't well made. The problem with the PS3 is, and always has been: limited compelling games library for an exorbant cost of entry.

You know what? A review of the on-off switch just doesn't change that equation, no matter how sexy it is.

Now I'm not a fan of the PS3, that much should be obvious. But its not because its not well made. Its because its overpriced, and much of that price is justified with features I don't assign much value to. Like upscaler (already got one), or blu-ray (not better enough than upscaled DVD to justify the extra cost per movie never mind the cost of the player -- I'll switch when the movies and the players are priced like DVDs and the format war is decided or at least hybrid players dominate.)

Until the PS3 comes out with enough compelling games to sway the market they've lost. And every hour they lose is just widens the gap between the 360 / Wii  and PS3. And lets face it, once people settle on a console they aren't that likely to buy another one. And if they have one console already, and its a 360, the odds of them buying a PS3 over a Wii are pretty slim. The Wii is less than half the price and has a completey different game library while the PS3 costs more than the 360 you already have, and only gives you access to a few games that are essentially just more of what you already have.

For most people the Wii is the far more sensible 2nd console.

Yeah. Hell, if I got it for free, I could say I was a believer.

PS3 has lots of neat features, the button sounds like more of a gimmick than anything. How long do you have to hold your finger there to turn it off? Say you lose the remote and have to go somewhere fast, that button will be a real drag when that happens. I admit it's kinda cool, only because it's never been done before, it's got kind of a future tech feel to it.

The size and weight I just don't know about, the problem isn't completely in fitting it somewhere cramped. It's more of, if you are bringing it over to your families house because your brother wants to play it for a week or something. Systems are getting harder and harder to do that with.

Upscaling, I have heard that it's something that works well on some DVD's and terribly on others. Try some old PS1/2 games on it. But I personally don't really care about the looks even if they do look worse.

Interface, isn't the interface the same one as the PSP has? When I tried that interface it was a bit confusing, I am really against creating new interfaces for every product ever invented when the old ones worked fine. It's probably fine, but it's an issue I have with the world today. Take Barbeque lighters for example, every god damned lighter has some newer more difficult and more insane safety switch. So I have to spend 10 minutes on every lighter trying to get it to work (a bit of hyperbole may have been used here).

Load times, they have never really been a big issue with me. They are just hard to avoid sometimes.

Wireless controllers, are pretty standard. I have a Wii and my brother has a 360. Wii comes with them and 360 you can buy them seperate. Personally I think they should have come standard for the 360 this gen.

If you didn't already know about the quality of Blueray you really shouldn't have been posting in the first place. It being the very first thing every pro PS3 argument ever states. If it wasn't really good than sony would have another thing to explain other than the cost.

Around the Network
mancandy said:

5. Size/weight
I'd never actually bothered to pick one up before, so had no idea how much one weighed. And actually, it's nowhere near as heavy as you might think (and if you've never seen one in person, it's not as large as you might think, either.) It fits into some tight spaces and is a lot more convenient to have in my living room than I expected it to be. It is a bit too shiny though to be honest. It's arched top surface is shinier than Duncan Goodhew's.

This is a feature? It's not a laptop. You place it somewhere.....once. You wouldn't take it with you to the coffee shop. I think he was really struggling to make this list.

actually before I graduated I took my PS3 to school with me like 30 times. I take it to my friend's house too. If we are having a lan party we all bring our consoles and computers. Last time we ended up with 2 PS3s, 7 Xboxs, 1 360, and 3 Wiis. We played Halo for 3 hours then Resistance for 4.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

c'mon people, it's all about the price, and you know it.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I don't believe price is the issue. It's the marketing. They need to make it clear that it is not intended as just a gaming rig and that it is a full-blown entertainment center with high def video, media streaming, etc. All the PS3 commercials I've seen only show some demonstration of the games. What people want is value. This is often mistaken for price, but it's not the same. Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas are the top selling cars because of their value propositions, not because they're the lowest priced. Yes, there is a segment of people out there who are the most price-sensitive and will buy the Hyundai's and Kia's of the world. That's fine. These people will wait for price drops to buy.

ssj12 said:

actually before I graduated I took my PS3 to school with me like 30 times. I take it to my friend's house too. If we are having a lan party we all bring our consoles and computers. Last time we ended up with 2 PS3s, 7 Xboxs, 1 360, and 3 Wiis. We played Halo for 3 hours then Resistance for 4.

Taking it to a LAN party is meaningless. The people there were dragging their steel tower cases and 19" monitors and a bag full of periphers, keyboards, mice, speakers... Any console after that is a featherweight.

The question isn't 'can it be moved'. Obviously anything -can- be. The question is is it small and light enough to be convenient and easy to move? Is is rugged and light enough that you aren't worried about moving it?

The fact that it fits in the trunk of your car isn't exactly useful.

ssj12 said:
mancandy said:

5. Size/weight
I'd never actually bothered to pick one up before, so had no idea how much one weighed. And actually, it's nowhere near as heavy as you might think (and if you've never seen one in person, it's not as large as you might think, either.) It fits into some tight spaces and is a lot more convenient to have in my living room than I expected it to be. It is a bit too shiny though to be honest. It's arched top surface is shinier than Duncan Goodhew's.

This is a feature? It's not a laptop. You place it somewhere.....once. You wouldn't take it with you to the coffee shop. I think he was really struggling to make this list.

Understandable. There are some people out there that will have lan parties. It still doesn't make it a feature. They should have that in a PS3 commercial.

"Featuring new High Definition Blue-Ray technology, plus it's nowhere near as heavy as you might think!!!"

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078