By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which console will have the most million sellers?

The 360 has a big lead right now, there is no reason to believe it won't keep that lead, so yeah.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Attach rate goes down late in a console's life as more and more of the install base represents repurchases, users who have moved on to newer consoles, low end customers who would only buy at a rock bottom price, etc.

However, for the first several years of a consoles lifetime, the attach rate should grow very quickly, as essentially the entire install base represents current, active users, willing to buy new software.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

goddog said:
Viper1 said:
Goddog, of course I used the same sales rate or the point wouldn't make any sense. And that point is that time skews an attach rate in favor of the oldest console.

You're kidding yourself if you think the attach rate goes down as the years go on. Go look at the attach rates for each of the consoles since 2005/2006 using equal weekly dates.

You are correct that a console with an insane sales rate will have a lower attach rate simply because software sales won't keep pace and vice versa.

High demand software plays another role, thought temporary, but that's not easily factored into an attach rate now is it?

no its not.

but the main issue is the assumptions you set up are not valid. and would only work in a vacuum. the variable in these functions of attach rate are far more complicated. and time is a minor aspect of it by its self. Units moved, games release per unit of time, and hits per number released are fare more important. pac ins, bundles, and used sales rate all effect attach rate in far more serious ways. avalibility of games, average price, age of average consumer. marketing budget. 

what im getting at is your simplifing the metric far to much as i did to try and push my point to invalidate yours.  you cant limit this attach rate to after 05/06, look at it in the prior genoration. 

you brught up the gamecube of last generation, and that should invalidate your point v too, if you compare its ending attach rate vs ps2s, where the ps2 was on the market first 

Time is not a minor aspect.  It's has a very large impact on it.

I have been using the 7th generation consoles in all my above examples, hence why I said start at 2005 and look forward to show how the X360, PS3 and Wii attach rates have increased year on year.

How does the GC and PS2 attach rates invalidate my point?  The PS2 has a far higher attach rate.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Updated figures for million sellers per month now that the holiday season is essentially over. It currently stands with the Wii at 1.64, the 360 at 1.70 and the PS3 at .96. It seems the Wii and 360 have once again flipped positions in which one is moving the most million sellers, although that is to be expected with all the blockbusters that hit this holiday season.

While still way too early to see the limit become apparent as yet (and very influenced by coming hot off a holiday rush) it does seem that the 360 and Wii are flipping back and forth on who has more million sellers per month. I would say this race will be a lot closer than I previously thought, and probably end in a near tie. This will change if the big blockbusters start hitting the Wii instead, but that has not happened as yet and is looking less likely as time passes on.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

360, then Wii.

Around the Network

The market for big blockbusters is the 360 and PS3. A "Big Blockbuster" by at least my interpretation means big effects / graphics / action. These things are better suited to the horsepower of the 360 and PS3.

I am confident that at the time of the new generation launching the 360 will have more million sellers than the Wii.

MorgZ, I don't if you've been keeping up with the times or not but a game doesn't have to be a blockbuster on Wii to hit 1 million in sales.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Update :

Xbox360 : 63

Wii : 42

PS3 : 25

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

360 no contest unless the next xbox comes out really soon as for 2nd im still saying ps3 but it well need its whole life span to do it watever that may be

Play Me

As far as blockbusters go, the Wii has the most number of 5+ million sellers and I don't see any way it's going to lose that lead.