By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It begins the creator of GEARS OF WAR calls MGS4 " passive entertainment"

thekitchensink said:

Man, Leo, what is UP with you taking quotes and blowing them way out of proportion lately? The MGS series has almost as much cutscene as it does game, and most of the actual gameplay is very slow-paced stealth.

AKA PASSIVE!

He's just saying that Gears is a balls-out shooter, while MGS is a stealth game. Sheesh.

This is almost as bad as calling Miyamoto a "cocky-@$$ dev"!

That was IGN that said BOTH of those things =D

mM
Around the Network

Kojima is the Ingmar Burgman of video games and Jeff is the James Cameron of it.

leo-j said:
thekitchensink said:

Man, Leo, what is UP with you taking quotes and blowing them way out of proportion lately? The MGS series has almost as much cutscene as it does game, and most of the actual gameplay is very slow-paced stealth.

AKA PASSIVE!

He's just saying that Gears is a balls-out shooter, while MGS is a stealth game. Sheesh.

This is almost as bad as calling Miyamoto a "cocky-@$$ dev"!

That was IGN that said BOTH of those things =D

Nope.  The Miyamoto thing was from Joystiq.  And what does that matter?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
leo-j said:
.:Dark Prince:. said:
I actually kinda agree with him.

When half the game is videos in which you do nothing, then play 5 minutes and then another 30 minutes of cutscenes, it IS a form of passive entertainment.

I am a huge MGS fan but even I can't argue that, especially with MGS4 which i do not love as much as the older ones. I mean, i'm on Act 3 and the game is really boring right now.

The only reason i love MGS so much is the cutscenes. Kojima really has a talent in storytelling.

Well ACT1-3 is boring compared to the rest of the game.

Acts 1 & 2 are masterpieces compared to Act 3.

I really hope you're right and the rest of the game is better.

leo-j said:

When half the game is videos in which you do nothing, then play 5 minutes and then another 30 minutes of cutscenes, it IS a form of passive entertainment.

I am a huge MGS fan but even I can't argue that, especially with MGS4 which i do not love as much as the older ones. I mean, i'm on Act 3 and the game is really boring right now.

The only reason i love MGS so much is the cutscenes. Kojima really has a talent in storytelling.

If you played MGS1 you might even cry.

mM
Around the Network

*Reads comments*

O.o

*walks on by*

Do de do de do do...

leo-j said:
leo-j said:

If you played MGS1 you might even cry.

Cry? Lol i don't think so even though i've played MGS1.

.:Dark Prince:. said:Cry? Lol i don't think so even though i've played MGS1.

Well get ready =D

mM

Oh God, this is like Britney Spears criticizing Beethoven. Some developers are so damn cocky, it makes me do a double take to make sure I read correctly. I understand that MGS is an aquired taste and most people have patience comparable to ADD patients, but really? His game dialogue and story is about as complex as Paris Hilton. MGS fans can't listen to reviews for the most part, because a lot (most) of people just don't like the game and never will, no matter how perfect it is. Interactive cutscenes and being actively involved in the story is great, but Kojima does it differently. End of story.

MGS4 had more gameplay than Gears 1 did. Having a story tends to lengthen a game. Gears cutscenes are passive and boring.