By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It begins the creator of GEARS OF WAR calls MGS4 " passive entertainment"

This coming from the guy who claims to have made an original title because he moved the camera back a couple feet, which we could've done on our own in the options of Quake 2 and whatnot.

Go back to Jazz Jackrabitt, ya Jagoff Jerkrobot.

Oh, and for the record, this isn't because I want to defend MGS4 or Kojima. This is because I think CliffyB is a doosh and he stole his nickname from Bud Bundy.

If he's complaining about cutscenes, I agree. If he's complaining about anything else, I don't care either way.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Wow. CliffyB can go fuck off.

Way to talk shit on another company. Hideo Kojima is so much better than that 17 year old teen trapped in a thirty-something body.

Why don't you go back to dying your hair platinum blonde, and make your testosterone driven videogames while people who enjoy "passive entertainment", play our critically acclaimed game, and game director who is humble.

Arrogance/cockiness is so annoying to me. The little respect I had for CliffyB just went out the window with that dumb-ass comment.

If I had 3 hands I'd give you 3 thumbs up!

Edit: AT LONG LAST! 500 POSTS!

Lol which is why Gears of war will never inspire or impact anybody's consciousness. The story of GoW is laughable if non existent so his critisms are absurd. Maybe if they could write a proper script that measured up to movie script with deep, explorative writing he'd have a place to complain, but alas he doesn't.

You guys should really read this blog for some great perspective on the whole cutscene issue. He really handles the subject so well.

http://www.brainygamer.com/the_brainy_gamer/2008/06/the-genius-bl-1.html

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

endimion said:
whatever said:
The idiotic quote is that "...passive entertainment is on the way out." That's a pretty dumb statement, since video games ARE passive entertainment.

allow me to desagree.... it's the only active entertainement.... or close to the only one.... you actually take part in the action going on... you can't do that watching TV, a movie, going to the opera, concerts, sports events, expo of paintings/phtographie... you just sit watch and clap.... video game you actually act in the environement designed for you....

don't we call that interactive entertainement ??? :)

Around the Network

This guy is slowly becoming more and more of a jerk.

First he says no to customizing your characters in GeOW2, not just single player (which I could care less about) but for multiplayer as well.

Second he says no to customizable weapons in both single and multiplayer.

Now he goes and says something like this.

Ok there Cliffy, bring on the same exact game you released before while the ones who keep quiet and let their game do the talking (Kojima) bring us something new in his sequels.

He really better hope R2 doesn't steal his limelight or he will really look like a fool.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

endimion said:
endimion said:
whatever said:
The idiotic quote is that "...passive entertainment is on the way out." That's a pretty dumb statement, since video games ARE passive entertainment.

allow me to desagree.... it's the only active entertainement.... or close to the only one.... you actually take part in the action going on... you can't do that watching TV, a movie, going to the opera, concerts, sports events, expo of paintings/phtographie... you just sit watch and clap.... video game you actually act in the environement designed for you....

don't we call that interactive entertainement ??? :)

Did you just quote and question yourself?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

endimion said:
whatever said:

Ummm, no.  Active entertainment is playing a sport, riding a bike, taking a walk, sex.  Sitting on a couch twiddling your thumbs is no more active than clapping.

I actually kinda agree with him.

When half the game is videos in which you do nothing, then play 5 minutes and then another 30 minutes of cutscenes, it IS a form of passive entertainment.

I am a huge MGS fan but even I can't argue that, especially with MGS4 which i do not love as much as the older ones. I mean, i'm on Act 3 and the game is really boring right now.

The only reason i love MGS so much is the cutscenes. Kojima really has a talent in storytelling.

.:Dark Prince:. said:
I actually kinda agree with him.

When half the game is videos in which you do nothing, then play 5 minutes and then another 30 minutes of cutscenes, it IS a form of passive entertainment.

I am a huge MGS fan but even I can't argue that, especially with MGS4 which i do not love as much as the older ones. I mean, i'm on Act 3 and the game is really boring right now.

The only reason i love MGS so much is the cutscenes. Kojima really has a talent in storytelling.

Well ACT1-3 is boring compared to the rest of the game.

mM