By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It begins the creator of GEARS OF WAR calls MGS4 " passive entertainment"

As I mentioned earlier, I think Cliff is just being rude here and has not earned the right to be so arrogant.

Kojima should be commended for his efforts to bring story telling and gaming together. The game/movie that is Metal Gear 4 is a very cool idea. I hope Cliff is wrong, and we see more things like this (if the gaming industry is big enough for Wiifit then why not a movie/game?)

That said, Kojima's work should also be seen for what it is, a hybrid of corny comic book story telling and games, but nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, the production values, camera angles, voice acting, character models, and animation of his cut scences are excellent. But it is very definately a comic book style event, and even then there are some problems with it's excecution (no not their length or lack of interactiveness).

If I were going to point out a few of the most glaring issues with these scences it would be that he has crammed way too much into the story and as a result it jumps around from idea to idea way too much, the story and the points it's trying to make lack cohesion, the delivery of often complex ideas are both overly explained and under developed, almost to the point of being preechy or condesending to the audience, and the dialog between characters is often unnatural and overly verbose.

The best story tellers say more with less, not the other way around.
On the other hand, if you look at it like a corny comic book, it's pure gold.

Around the Network
Ian said:
As I mentioned earlier, I think Cliff is just being rude here and has not earned the right to be so arrogant.

Kojima should be commended for his efforts to bring story telling and gaming together. The game/movie that is Metal Gear 4 is a very cool idea. I hope Cliff is wrong, and we see more things like this (if the gaming industry is big enough for Wiifit then why not a movie/game?)

That said, Kojima's work should also be seen for what it is, a hybrid of corny comic book story telling and games, but nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, the production values, camera angles, voice acting, character models, and animation of his cut scences are excellent. But it is very definately a comic book style event, and even then there are some problems with it's excecution (no not their length or lack of interactiveness).

If I were going to point out a few of the most glaring issues with these scences it would be that he has crammed way too much into the story and as a result it jumps around from idea to idea way too much, the story and the points it's trying to make lack cohesion, the delivery of often complex ideas are both overly explained and under developed, almost to the point of being preechy or condesending to the audience, and the dialog between characters is often unnatural and overly verbose.

..that's because you compare it to a western/Hollywood type of movie/script/direction, which is the worse thing you could do. It is like trying to write with your feet and walk on your hands. In other words you are looking at the picture all wrong. You should take it for what it is not for what you think it should be.
The storytelling in MGS games is the purest anime way of storytelling (think Berserk or Evanghelion). It is a style loved by easterns and (i'm generalising here a bit) hated by westerns. It is very heavy handed, with tons of background informations, goofy humour, overblown melodrama, subtle ironies and strong messages and it is targeted to the more patience people. But saying it is bad is pure ignorance. It is like saying Shakespeare was bad 'cose it used rhymes. It is just different from what you know. 

And your last sentences are somewhat contradictory. A manga (anime comic book) does say more with less. Let's take Berserk for example. There are no fancy special effects or famous actors to enhance the experience like in a Holywood blockbuster, just pure storytelling with a brilliant script and amazingly deep and unpredictable character development which puts it next to any Oscar winning Hollywood drama if not above. 

So yes, i agree, MGS4 is more of a digital anime/manga than a Holywood blockbuster and that's the very reason why it is so amazing.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

antfromtashkent said:
i think hes just pissed because UT3 sales sucked....

Which is a direct result of Epic leaving it up to modders to code the game for them. The coolest part of the game is the mods. You can download mods to speed up the game to PC level, for example... It is an enjoyable game, and I love the mouse/keyboard support, but the campaign mode is basically Quake 3 Arena...you know...bot matches. I'm just glad I got the game for $12, because that's about what the product is worth before I put all the time in downloading mods from ut3mod.com.

" metal gear solid is the type of game were not making" so basically hes saying were not making a excellent game because thats what type of game mgs is excellent

<

psn ID: smiles123

MGS4 is the greatest game ever

Riachu said:
Fishie said:
You want storytelling, go read a book.
You want cinematics, go see a movie.

Meanwhile quit ragging on Bioshock, a game that actually gave the player the opportunity to see more of the story as part of the actual GAME PLAY.

Game play, you know, that thing that seperates us from movies and books.
The thing that makes this particular artform more involved then the other two.

I am not ripping on Bioschock.  I have only played a small part of it but it was one of my older brother's favorite games of last year

You could have fooled me when you said that Levine`s design decisions regarding the story were SHAMEFULL.

Around the Network
DTG said:
Fishie said:

Meanwhile quit ragging on Bioshock, a game that actually gave the player the opportunity to see more of the story as part of the actual GAME PLAY.

In an age where technology allows for cinematic presentation on par with movies, gameplay should be a vehicle to express a message or storyline in an interactive environment. Not the centerpoint of the experience but rather the vector to delivering an involved cinematic experience.

This isn't 1988. Fun and gameplay should not be the single defining characteristics of VIDEO games anymore. Plot, message and artistic achievement must take a more pivotal role in coming years.

And a game where the same thing is bullied into the players head 5 times in a row(hey Snake, guns are ID locked) just to make it longer and which explains EVERYTHING by just shouting nanomachines with a lot of retarded storyline crap thrown in that simply doesnt make sense(and which is insanely overacted the same way movies were when they switched from silent to sound and continued to work with silent actors) does those things?

Fishie said:
Riachu said:
Fishie said:

I am not ripping on Bioschock. I have only played a small part of it but it was one of my older brother's favorite games of last year

You could have fooled me when you said that Levine`s design decisions regarding the story were SHAMEFULL.

Actually I said that. It is shameful that Levine gave the storyline a backseat to the game design actually compromising the original plot in the name of gameplay.

Ian said:

QFT

DTG said:
Fishie said:
Riachu said:
Fishie said:

I am not ripping on Bioschock. I have only played a small part of it but it was one of my older brother's favorite games of last year

Actually I said that. It is shameful that Levine gave the storyline a backseat to the game design actually compromising the original plot in the name of gameplay.

Which made it a  MUCH better game.

MGS4 would be a lot better then it is as well if they had ommited some of the story crap and added some actual beef to the crappy gameplay.

@ Fishie

I see you are the biggest MGS4 hater on this forum. Sure, everrybody is entitled to have an opinion, but you are really trying too hard to put down a game that every single critic everywhere praises for it's amazing storyline & storytelling and deep rewarding gameplay.
Sure, there's nothing incredibly wrong with dissagreeing with the majority, but the more you post, there more you leave the impression you are actually trying to convince yourself and not the rest.
Just a word of advice - pissing against the current usually leaves you wet, so i'd say stop trying so hard as you'll gain nothing.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"