By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why 3rd Parties Can’t (And Probably Won’t) Succeed on the Wii

Well, lets look at Ubisoft. I'll use it as my example of 3rd party devs that will never succeed on the Wii.
Ubisoft, a company that started on the Wii with the right foot. Yes pretty much, they delivered RRR and RS. Nothing spectacular, but those were nice efforts.

But suddenly, they took this "graphics don't matter, it's all about gameplay" VERY seriously, so they started porting old games from PS2, PC and Xbox to the Wii.

The bad news is that these were rushed, unpolished and low budget ports. It looks like graphics have been downgraded on purpose. For example GT Pro series looked worse than the first version which was released on GC, but Ubisoft still charged people 50 bucks for it.

All of this games straight ports that were so buggy/glitchy and unpolished that sometimes crashed the Wii.

The following are the games I talk about:

Driver: Parallel Lines, Far Cry: Vengeance, GT Pro Series, Blazing Angels, Monster 4x4, Prince of Persia: Rival Swords, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Protothea, Brother in Arms: Double Time (Next port from Ubi in case you didn't know)

As birdmen they are, they still tried to copy Nintendo's approach. Why not? They asked themselves. We give the hardcore audience some cheap rushed ports, I bet they won't care since Wii owners only care about GAMEPLAY.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

3rd parties have abandoned the Wii and should give up, except for:

Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers

That game hasn't had any new information for more than a year and a half. Does it even exist anymore?

Other than that, I agree with you 100%

When was the last time any info on FF13 was released? Is that game cancelled now too?!

Oh noes!

Anyways, I believe that there was some newer info earlier this year, or confirmation from Square saying that it's still very much alive. People were talking about it the other day in one of the threads here.

if 3rd parties try hard they will succeed

I'll bookmark this page for incase of crow eating. :)

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Oh yeah, they have to make games that are actually fun to play as well.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

That game hasn't had any new information for more than a year and a half. Does it even exist anymore?

I love that picture and yes the game is still in heavy development, it scheduled to be released this year actually, There was a release date anticipated for october I believe, I think I saw that date on game faqs and later at another site. Those dates were there a few months ago. Aside from that, you can check the SE website for it's status as being in development. This is on their main website but I'm on my PS3 so links would take too long for me to retype.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

@trestres

2 out of 21 games ain't bad is it?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

We all know anything internally developed for the Wii by Ubisoft will be crap going by the trend they've been following. Red Steel 2 might be their savior if they ever get around to releasing it.

I agree with just about everything in the OP. Even if it is a "AA" or "AAA" effort by 3rd parties, if it's not advertised to John Q. Public it'll be hard to sell.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

wfz said:
Snesboy said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

When was the last time any info on FF13 was released? Is that game cancelled now too?!

Oh noes!

Anyways, I believe that there was some newer info earlier this year, or confirmation from Square saying that it's still very much alive. People were talking about it the other day in one of the threads here.

Yeah I remember that. Thanks for reminding me!

I was just saying that it is more of a niche title to begin with. I want it and hope they announce something at E3.

@ trestres

Brothers in Arms: Double Time maybe a port. But it's being ported by Gearbox Software, the makers of the original BiA games. So it probably won't be too bad. It actually looks good to me.