By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why 3rd Parties Can’t (And Probably Won’t) Succeed on the Wii

@trestres,

"nonsense"?

Ask yourself, if you own a "last gen" PS2 and a "current gen" Wii, which console you would choose to buy that game for? For me, I would buy the Wii version because Wii is more powerful than PS2. Control scheme? You can always get a classic controller or a GC controller. And honestly, after the launch or SSBB, which hardcore gamer doesn't own one of those controller?

I think the reason behind that number is more complicated than the control scheme issue.

I simply use the data as an evidence to support Stever89's points. Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong. But it doesn't change the fact that that sales number reveals something. The difference of the sales number for games between PS2 version and Wii version is shocking, and "Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4" is not the first example.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

@SaviorX: lol

@Wenlan: Why would someone buy a 4th iteration of a a niche series without having played the previous 3 games before? It's obvious that only loyal followers bought that game. That's what the sales are telling you, nothing else. Don't read too far into it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

wenlan said:
@trestres,

"nonsense"?

Ask yourself, if you own a "last gen" PS2 and a "current gen" Wii, which console you would choose to buy that game for? For me, I would buy the Wii version because Wii is more powerful than PS2. Control scheme? You can always get a classic controller or a GC controller. And honestly, after the launch or SSBB, which hardcore gamer doesn't own one of those controller?

I think the reason behind that number is more complicated than the control scheme issue.

I simply use the data as an evidence to support Stever89's points. Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong. But it doesn't change the fact that that sales number reveals something. The difference of the sales number for games between PS2 version and Wii version is shocking, and "Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4" is not the first example.

Why are you assuming that those few people who own said niche game own a Wii?

Niche fans are going to stick to their current consoles until said niche games move off their console and on to one of the next gen consoles to avoid getting burned. (Or at least should, if expierence with the PS3 is any indication.)

Spending $40 sounds a lot better then spending $300 to play a game.

Arguements like these always make me feel like people are talking down to third parties.  Like Nintendo developers are the Jordan Era bulls.

Sure Nintendo is one of the best if not best developers out there... and have been since well... Atari.

3rd parties can compete though.  My favorite Wii games are third party games.  They just got caught unaware and stuck in the "HD mindframe" not realizing that buisness model was going to be the inferior.

While Nintendo was able to think in the new mindframe from the start.  Nintendo has a head start.  Much how Sony studios had a head start on PS3 because they understood the cell better.   Companies will catch up.

@trestres,
I think we agree with each other at some levels: current Wii owners in Japan don't buy "niche third party games".

Why? Because they are loyal Nintendo fans (who only purchase 1st party games) or they are first-time console buyers?

Or, most PS2 owners in Japan haven't (or don't want to) upgraded to the current gen console yet (too busy playing MHP2G). Anyway, Nintendo need to try harder to attract more hard core gamers (who will purchase "Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4" type of games) to get a Wii before they choose PS3 (or Xbox360). If it doesn't happen, the third party Wii games will not sell well (in Japan).

Snesboy said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

3rd parties have abandoned the Wii and should give up, except for:

Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers

That game hasn't had any new information for more than a year and a half. Does it even exist anymore?

Other than that, I agree with you 100%

It was confirmed once again in March 2008.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I agree with many of the things this poster has said but there's one thing that wasn't really addressed that seems like a huge factor.

As a platform holder Nintendo dictates the marketing for the Wii it'self, and they tightly control the direction of the marketing in such a way as to maximize sales of Nintendo made software. Specifically, Nindendo almost exclusively makes family freindly, pastel, E rated games, and markets their systems to help sell this kind of thing.

For this reason for example; you will never see them advertize the Wii to audences that prefer Fatal Frame over Mariokart; and the install base will show this. You will never see a mature Konami made game bundled with a Nintendo system; like Metalgear for example. And any developer who makes any type of game that is outside of Nintendo's branding is pretty much on their own marketing wise (it's an uphill battle going against the intall base of a system.)

Making matters worse is that, as mentioned, any game made similar to Nintendo's offerings gets to compete with a high quality Nintendo made game with Mario on the Box.

That said, the defenition of third party success with Wii is very different than the more conventional cross platform model used to make money on the PS3 and 360 (bigger but more conservative betting going on there).

Specifically, due to the low cost of development for Wii, a big company like Ubisoft can make a ton of games, have most of them flop, have a hit or two out of the bunch, and walk away with a profit. It's like spreading out your bets. All you have to do is hit one of them for the Jackpot. And the stakes are reduced because even if you sell a moderate amount you might make back the development costs or make a small profit and get to keep playing.

If PS3, Microsoft, and Nintendo were gambling games for third party developers to play on, PS3 and 360 would be high stakes Poker or Black Jack and Nintendo would be a slot machine or rulette weel.

For this reason I don't see companies placing big bets on a system when they have a better chance of making money just throwing a few dollars in quarters at it.

Kasz216 said:

Why are you assuming that those few people who own said niche game own a Wii?

Niche fans are going to stick to their current consoles until said niche games move off their console and on to one of the next gen consoles to avoid getting burned. (Or at least should, if expierence with the PS3 is any indication.

@Kasz,

The reason I made that assumption is because I am under the imprsesion that "core gamers" (who mostly likely owns a PS2) are embracing Wii.  Maybe it hasn't happened in Japan yet.

OK, I admit "Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4" is an extreme example....   I just want both Wii and PS3 to be successful.  (run away and cry)

OK, seriously, I think Sony is smart to keep PS2 alive.  That will certainly buy them more time to catch up with Wii.

trestres said:

So in conclusion, 3rd party devs that try to copy Nintendo's every steps will fail miserably on the Wii.
3rd party devs that don't take the hardcore crowd seriously will fail miserably on the Wii.
3rd party devs that thinks that a quick port will be bought will fail miserably on the Wii.
3rd party devs that don't innovate will fail miserably on the Wii.
3rd party devs that make cheap assed games will fail miserably on the Wii
3rd party devs that ignore the whole market the Wii has (Casual, hardcore, non-gamers) will fail miserably on the Wii.

This was my favorite part of that post. It was nice and simple... How many times did you use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V?

@Ian very nice post. I disagree though where you say Nintendo isn't advertising the Wii as a system other than to play casual games. Nintendo advertises all of their products.

I'm pretty sure they have achieved the popularity they wanted for the Wii by now, so I expect a lot of core games annunced by Nintendo this E3. That's it if Nintendo wants to attract the hardcore gamer now that they got the casual on their pocket. And as we know 3rd parties tend to copy Nintendo's ways so if a flow of 1st party hardcore games are announced this E3, expect a lot of 3rd party confirmations too.

I don't think Nintendo would be that stupid to lose this opportunity. They need to keep attracting new owners and at the same time keep the current owners satisfied, this means innovation, good quality and diversity. I'm sure Nintendo knows what they are doing right now, as they are aware that the competition is strong. I wouldn't be so worried.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

@L.C.E.C: In fact I didn't use it even once lol.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies