By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why 3rd Parties Can’t (And Probably Won’t) Succeed on the Wii

@Savior: No it would be 2 out of 34, you didn't count the last "original" games (Nitrobike, CSI, etc.).

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

3rd parties can't succeed on Wii?!?!?!

I BLAME WII FIT!

yawns* anyone else sick of this topic?

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

@Snesboy: The game looks terrible. I've seen a couple of screenshots. Looks on par with Far Cry Vengeance. People were really upset about this game on the Ubi forums.

And still if the game was a masterpiece "port" I won't even bother to buy it, since the HD consoles are getting the new iteration. Why don't they go multiplat like Activision did with GH4, CoD 3 and 5 or like Lucasarts or Atari are doing.

Ubisoft isn't doing anything right at all.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Good article. Stever89 have some valid points.

Just take a look at this week's Japan day 1sale #:

* Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 (PS2) : about 26k
* Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 (Wii) : less than 1k

Wii owners in Japan aren't buying 3rd party games.
Why shouldn't Japanese 3rd party developers be concerned?

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

@Wenlan: I can't believe I just read that nonsense!
That game is a game from a series that started on the PS2, its OBVIOUS that PS2 will get more sales than Wii for that game. OBVIOUS because most people that are buying the 4th itaration already played the first 3, and that means THEY HAVE A PS2. Why would they buy a Wii for it or buy it for the Wii? If the series is alright on their console, of course no one will risk himself to buy a game with a new control scheme.

3rd party games sell very well on the Wii in Japan considering there hasn't been a good 3rd party game so far. DQ Swords sold 500k, RE:UC almost 300k, RE4 130k, DBZ, Pro Evo, We Ski, Deca Sports and some more I'm missing now. Then the majority of good titles came from Nintendo itself.

Once more I can't believe you just used that game's sales as a proof of 3rd party game not selling in Japan. Im horrified and sad after reading that.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Just wait till Tales of Symphonia 2 sales and this coming E3 thats all I can say. And yeah, if Wii was doing horrible on Japan then the PS3 was doing absymal 10 times worse than the Wii.

Only MGS4 was the only saving grace for the PS3.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

trestres said:
@Snesboy: The game looks terrible. I've seen a couple of screenshots. Looks on par with Far Cry Vengeance. People were really upset about this game on the Ubi forums.

And still if the game was a masterpiece "port" I won't even bother to buy it, since the HD consoles are getting the new iteration. Why don't they go multiplat like Activision did with GH4, CoD 3 and 5 or like Lucasarts or Atari are doing.

Ubisoft isn't doing anything right at all.

I still want Red Steel 2 though

The only info I saw of BiA: DB was in Nintendo Power more than a year ago....

I like what Activision and LucasArts and Atari are doing though. They are actually treating the Wii like the proper system it is, instead of just some PS2 with waggle.

nice thread!!

i think it's because Nintendo's games are always so attractive and almost perfect!!
a person who gets the chance to play SSBB or Mario Kart or M.Galaxy is very likely to buy the game within a week, because he likes it, but this won't happen with a 3rd party game!!

i don't say 3rd party games are bad, but the 3rd party developers do not focus that much on their games, they try to complete them fast so they get money faster, and the result may still be good some times, but stands no chance in front of Nintendo's Mario/Zelda/Metroid games....

also, maybe the lack of advertising and bad cover art!! (which is important somehow) is a factor as well......

as the article says, they are always one step behind

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

trestres said:
@Savior: No it would be 2 out of 34, you didn't count the last "original" games (Nitrobike, CSI, etc.).

Hey!!!, even better odds! The ratio is top-notch. Their Play Zone division will make it even better, with Barbie's Croquet and Custer's Revenge 2:Wrapped, Strapped, Reloaded.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."