By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to beat PS2 LTD sales says sony

President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) David Reeves has said that the company expects the PlayStation 3 to eventually surpass lifetime sales of its predecessor, the PlayStation 2.

While the console may have gotten off to bumpy start, Reeves was keen to observe the current state in which the next-generation machine’s install base, commenting, "The PS3 install base is growing faster that the PS2's was at this point in its lifecycle."

"The next five years are going to be turbulent. But I think it is going to be the most exciting period that we have ever seen in the past ten years of video games," said Reeves.

Although Nintendo’s Wii is currently outselling the PS3, Reeves remained optimistic, adding, "We welcome all competition. Whatever happens, we are all going to do well. We should celebrate the growth of the industry.”

http://www.psu.com/PS3-to-beat-PS2s-lifetime-sales,-says-Sony-Europe-boss-News--a0004031-p0.php

mM
Around the Network

I hope he didn't mean that PS3 will pass PS2 LTD. It's just not possible. PS2 was probably at a low point briefly at 2 years into the life cycle.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

leo-j said:

President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) David Reeves has said that the company expects the PlayStation 3 to eventually surpass lifetime sales of its predecessor, the PlayStation 2.

While the console may have gotten off to bumpy start, Reeves was keen to observe the current state in which the next-generation machine’s install base, commenting, "The PS3 install base is growing faster that the PS2's was at this point in its lifecycle."

"The next five years are going to be turbulent. But I think it is going to be the most exciting period that we have ever seen in the past ten years of video games," said Reeves.

Although Nintendo’s Wii is currently outselling the PS3, Reeves remained optimistic, adding, "We welcome all competition. Whatever happens, we are all going to do well. We should celebrate the growth of the industry.”

http://www.psu.com/PS3-to-beat-PS2s-lifetime-sales,-says-Sony-Europe-boss-News--a0004031-p0.php

So they admit the wii is competing now?

@OT  The ps3 just doesn't have the mainstream appeal to last as long as the ps2 has, and I see it reaching about half of what the ps2 sold.

sc94597 said:
leo-j said:

So they admit the wii is competing now?

@OT The ps3 just doesn't have the mainstream appeal to last as long as the ps2 has, and I see it reaching about half of what the ps2 sold.

I don't see it hitting 60 million, let alone 125+million.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

David Reeves on crack?

Around the Network

Can someone do a check up how much PS2 sold in the same period as the PS3 has FOR EVERY REGION..

Thanks

PS: I am not at home thats why I use this account somehow my other account don't want to work on this computer strange..

Well I just found something very strange, vgchartz indicates that the PS3 is 1 million units behind the ps2 at the same time frame in europe, yet SONY say that in europe the ps3 is selling faster than the ps2 at the same time frame.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=PS2&reg3=Europe&weeks=156

mM

Best case scenario I could see them hitting 100 ... if BR becomes extremly popular and PS3 sees huge pricedrops . But Im pretty much certain it will never hit PS2 like levels :(

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

leo-j said:
Well I just found something very strange, vgchartz indicates that the PS3 is 1 million units behind the ps2 at the same time frame in europe, yet SONY say that in europe the ps3 is selling faster than the ps2 at the same time frame.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=PS2&reg3=Europe&weeks=156

Not exactly, they said it was growing faster. I.e., if the PS3 had only sold 1 system until now, and then sold another yesterday they could say that it was currently doubling daily. Even though I'm sure the PS2 was selling more than 1 console a day at that point, it probably was not doubling daily.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying the PS3 is doing poorly, so don't flame me. I'm just trying to explain why what he said may be true even though the PS3 is currently slightly behind the PS2 in terms of time frames.*

johntonsoup said:
leo-j said:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Europe&cons2=PS3®2=Europe&cons3=PS2®3=Europe&weeks=156

Not exactly, they said it was growing faster. I.e., if the PS3 had only sold 1 system until now, and then sold another yesterday they could say that it was currently doubling daily. Even though I'm sure the PS2 was selling more than 1 console a day at that point, it probably was not doubling daily.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying the PS3 is doing poorly, so don't flame me. I'm just trying to explain why what he said may be true even though the PS3 is currently slightly behind the PS2 in terms of time frames.*

Dude according to the weekly sales the ps3 is still behind the ps2, if we align them vgchartz indicates that the PS3 is selling worst than the ps2 and is growing slower, switch it around to weekly sales, I find it very  wierd.

I seriously doubt SCEE is lying.

mM