By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to beat PS2 LTD sales says sony

leo-j said:
johntonsoup said:
leo-j said:
Well I just found something very strange, vgchartz indicates that the PS3 is 1 million units behind the ps2 at the same time frame in europe, yet SONY say that in europe the ps3 is selling faster than the ps2 at the same time frame.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Europe&cons2=PS3®2=Europe&cons3=PS2®3=Europe&weeks=156

Not exactly, they said it was growing faster. I.e., if the PS3 had only sold 1 system until now, and then sold another yesterday they could say that it was currently doubling daily. Even though I'm sure the PS2 was selling more than 1 console a day at that point, it probably was not doubling daily.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying the PS3 is doing poorly, so don't flame me. I'm just trying to explain why what he said may be true even though the PS3 is currently slightly behind the PS2 in terms of time frames.*

Dude according to the weekly sales the ps3 is still behind the ps2, if we align them vgchartz indicates that the PS3 is selling worst than the ps2 and is growing slower, switch it around to weekly sales, I find it very wierd.

I seriously doubt SCEE is lying.

Alright, then I have no clue.

Around the Network

All I see is a bunch of people talking about video game consoles like they know it better than the CEO of SCEE Europe. Why don't you guys just wait and see instead of making retarded analogies?

I personally don't "think" that the PS3 will beat the LTD sales of hte PS2...but it has a Blu Ray player and Sony has said soooooooooo many times that the success of the two are dependent on one another.

johntonsoup said:
leo-j said:
Well I just found something very strange, vgchartz indicates that the PS3 is 1 million units behind the ps2 at the same time frame in europe, yet SONY say that in europe the ps3 is selling faster than the ps2 at the same time frame.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=PS2&reg3=Europe&weeks=156

Not exactly, they said it was growing faster. I.e., if the PS3 had only sold 1 system until now, and then sold another yesterday they could say that it was currently doubling daily. Even though I'm sure the PS2 was selling more than 1 console a day at that point, it probably was not doubling daily.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying the PS3 is doing poorly, so don't flame me. I'm just trying to explain why what he said may be true even though the PS3 is currently slightly behind the PS2 in terms of time frames.*

Also Sony may have an entirely different view of what "Europe" is than we have.

Why does vgchartz have the PS3 behind the ps2? If sony has the PS3 ahead of the ps2.

mM

Well if anyone has spent any time in Crazzyman's PS2 to PS3 sales comparison thread, if you align regional launches of the PS2 and PS3, I'm pretty sure the PS3 is something like 5-6 million behind, with only EU similar to PS2.

This is a pretty optimistic projection from Sony. Even if BluRay is to be the saving grace of the PS3, by the time mainstream adoption of BluRay occurs there will be cheaper BluRay players than the PS3.

Around the Network

They are talking about Europe. It's impossible for the Ps3 to beat the Ps2 in any region so far imo. (I don't even think Wii will beat the Ps2 in Europe and THAT'S saying something.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Sony is wrong, that's not happening.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Hey were all optimist...aren't we?

perpride said:
All I see is a bunch of people talking about video game consoles like they know it better than the CEO of SCEE Europe. Why don't you guys just wait and see instead of making retarded analogies?

I personally don't "think" that the PS3 will beat the LTD sales of hte PS2...but it has a Blu Ray player and Sony has said soooooooooo many times that the success of the two are dependent on one another.

PS2 had a DVD player, and not only that, but COMPETITORS had them, and lots of people had computers with DVD drives, and yet it still outsold the PS2 at this point in its' life, even though PS3 is the only well-known BR player, and the format isn't as popular as DVD.  So, I SERIOUSLY doubt that it'll sell 50 million on BR alone.

My predictions:

PS3: 50-65 million

360: 50-65 million

Wii: >150 million

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Perhaps they are basing it on year over year growth instead of raw sales numbers?

But unless the PS3 is on the shelves for many, many years, or has some sales explosion it'll never catch PS2 that's indisputible.