By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 vs Gears 2 *Fanboys not allowed true thoughts of the games*

I find the thread title somewhat ironic , what kind of member would create a thread about 2 games that have been compared at least 4-5 times in the last 3 months ?,

what kind of member would create a thread knowing that people will respond mostly based on what console they own ?

What is the most important game for MS this year and possibly the 2nd most important game for Sony? what kind of member would make a thread knowing that these kind of titles would cause alot of controversy.

I rest my case.

Around the Network

I have to say I liked Gears more. I think it had better graphics and it introduced the concept of cover in a wonderfully intuitive way. I am rooting a lot for Resistance 2 also, though. I really wish they shud incorporate some sort of cover system in Resistance 2 and not only hiding behind cover but able to take cover and peep and snipe from behind safety llike we cud do in Gears, Rainbow Six Vegas and uncharted etc.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Foulcun said:

GoW 1 was far better than Resistance 1.  I don't think Resistance can close the gap enough this round to be better.  I have a PS3 and a 360 but I'll be buying GoW 2 and renting R2

Do you know what Insomniac is doing to close the gap or is that just a general statement?

ChronotriggerJM said:
I think Resistance 2 is going to rock the shit out of Gears 2 :P With all that insomniac is going for in R2, and considering they're not a company with empty promises, that's going to be quite the resume to beat.

Gears of war 2 trailer was kinda meh, they DIDN'T have "tons of extra enemies", they were a bunch of people walking around on the floor >_>; Great if you like duck-hunt. The battles seem to be pretty close quarters once again, and dueling chain-saws... I wanna say great in concept, but man it was just a testosterone driven homo-moment ;-; It looked pretty lame ><

I'm not one to critique though, I didn't really like the original gears of war and I was quite taken with Resistances weaponry :P So I am speaking with a bit of bias, I think both will be great games, I just think the "greatness" of gears is going to be used to clean Resistances floor :P

Finally someone else who thought the chainsaw battle was lame.  So was the whole grabbing a locust and using him as a hostage bit.  That shit (the hostage part) fits in with Splinter Cell and MGS4, not with Gears of War.

I loved Gears of War.  It was a great game.  I liked Resistance 1.  It was a good game.  Whether or not Resistance 2 can close the gap (or Gears of War 2 introduces even more lame concepts) remains to be seen.

I didn't care for either game's multiplayer.  I always preferred something like CS:S or GRAW's multiplayer.  But 8 player co-op definitely has me interested.  And I'm sure Gears of War 2's co-op will be stellar, like the first.

It's not that the chainsaw duels is a bad concept, just what they showed in the trailer was vile execution -_-; First off, two chainsaws coming together at the blades and being able to hold it there is A. Illogical as all hell, it doesn't work anything like that, and B. should it work like that, probably very bad for your blades >_>; The fact that they made Markus yell while doing so made it even more comedic to me XD If your going to put a mash sequence in, do it similar to god of war, have them connect at the gun's and be much closer to the blades, have them do a whole tipping while pushing the blades dangerously close to the other persons face :P Y'know, movie cliche ^_^

I guess it also didn't help that I saw a Locust and a Person standing around in the background while they were dueling XD But nit-picks aside, Gears of War 1 was an "above average, not quite great" game which had some great aspects to it's gameplay, but overall severely punished itself with some huge annoyances >
At the same time I think Insomniac is going to deliver a massive package of awesome as well, and given that they're not rushed, definitely have a fantastic grasp on PS3 technology, and are definitely not skimping on technical achievement, I think gears of war is going to have a hell of a battle on it's hand in terms of who can deliver a better gameplay experience :D

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
ymeaga1n said:
damn how come almost all of you morons don't know A LOT is spelled as two separate words.

How can you slate anyone's English, when your name is formed so terribly?

wow kid... very impressive retort

ChronotriggerJM said:
It's not that the chainsaw duels is a bad concept, just what they showed in the trailer was vile execution -_-; First off, two chainsaws coming together at the blades and being able to hold it there is A. Illogical as all hell, it doesn't work anything like that, and B. should it work like that, probably very bad for your blades >_>; The fact that they made Markus yell while doing so made it even more comedic to me XD If your going to put a mash sequence in, do it similar to god of war, have them connect at the gun's and be much closer to the blades, have them do a whole tipping while pushing the blades dangerously close to the other persons face :P Y'know, movie cliche ^_^

I guess it also didn't help that I saw a Locust and a Person standing around in the background while they were dueling XD But nit-picks aside, Gears of War 1 was an "above average, not quite great" game which had some great aspects to it's gameplay, but overall severely punished itself with some huge annoyances >< They look to be fixing some of them and I'm really looking forward to it :P

At the same time I think Insomniac is going to deliver a massive package of awesome as well, and given that they're not rushed, definitely have a fantastic grasp on PS3 technology, and are definitely not skimping on technical achievement, I think gears of war is going to have a hell of a battle on it's hand in terms of who can deliver a better gameplay experience :D

The chainsaw duel is illogical?  Let's just ignore the fact that both R2 and GoW2 are both video games  that involve epic wars against aliens...but the chainsaw duel is completely illogical and farfetched, and could never happen in real life!!!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

WEWdeadeye said:

The chainsaw duel is illogical?  Let's just ignore the fact that both R2 and GoW2 are both video games  that involve epic wars against aliens...but the chainsaw duel is completely illogical and farfetched, and could never happen in real life!!!

Well, if you put it like that.... ABSOLUTELY!!! There could be aliens out there :P Hell they could invade earth similarly to Gears of War, and hell, one of them could be using a gun with a chainsaw attatched to it, but still, no matter how hard I try to fight him off with a chainsaw of my own, putting our blades together will still fail, and if it doesn't, theres a high chance that it's absolutely horrible for my chainsaw :)

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
WEWdeadeye said:

Well, if you put it like that.... ABSOLUTELY!!! There could be aliens out there :P Hell they could invade earth similarly to Gears of War, and hell, one of them could be using a gun with a chainsaw attatched to it, but still, no matter how hard I try to fight him off with a chainsaw of my own, putting our blades together will still fail, and if it doesn't, theres a high chance that it's absolutely horrible for my chainsaw :)

Yea, no shit none of this could happen. That's why we play it in videogames. This is easily one of the dumbest conversations ever.

IMO, Gears 1 was WAYYYY BETTER than Resistance 1 in multiplayer and in single Player, but this time...I think that
R2 gameplay is ≥ GeoW2, just because of the storyline was too short. As for Online, I'm going to call it a tie because 60 players is massive with squads, but hopefully Insomniac can pull this off right. Gears Multiplayer appears that it has not changed that much since Gears 1, but it is STILL AWESOME!!