By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 commercial

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

Meaning

One of the well-known lines from the St. Crispin's Day Speech of Shakespeare's Henry V.

Origin

From Shakespeare's Henry V, 1598:

KING HENRY V:
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Source- phrases.org.uk...........i just liked the speech and you made a whole thing about it......its a war speech and there were few dont aply everything to the commercial........Less people own a ps3 because they did the same thing as the guys at 360..........they introduced the console to the public with not enough games avalible in store for it and alot to people dont want to wait "3-7 weeks for a game" which were also over priced like 360's........there's a connection between how far you can raise prices and how many people will buy so as they raise to win "the war" if they go to far theyll start losing money....thats why the wii is haulin *ss

Around the Network

the fifth....V=5

I think it's Sony's best commercial yet. They need to distinguish themselves from the Wii, and I think it's clear they do need to do that by marketing their prduct as an upscale, sophisticated product.

Obviously courting the "tech elite" isn't as profitable as courting the masses, but it can be profitable and at this point I think fighting the Wii head on isn't an option. Where the Wii shows people playing the game, Sony needs to show graphics; where the Wii goes out of its way to have "everyman" commercials, Sony should go out of their way to make their product appeal to the gentry.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

L.C.E.C. said:
From ABobrik87 of Youtube:

"It's from Henry V, and it is the St. Crispin's Day speech, said by Henry right before the battle between the English and French is about to begin. In the original text, it finishes with "Upon St. Crispin's Day" instead of "Upon this day"; I assume they didn't think anyone would recognize the original text."

He goes on to say:

"I am so sad that they used the beautiful St. Crispin's Day speech for these ridiculous games. Because, honestly, how often is the average PS3 gamer going to recognize Henry V and appreciate its greatness?"

I haven't gotten that far in History yet I guess.

Well, I recognized it and thought it was pretty cool. But then again I'm an English Lit major and I enjoyed the same quote when it was used in Band of Brothers as well.

Not a great commercial, but a hell of alot better than the whacked out circus ones released in the PAL regions.

Around the Network

Perhaps they should've picked a better quote, but there have definitely been far worse Sony commercials, so this gets a thumbs up in my book. Not really a far comparison since you can only go up from those old commercials with the babies and the rubix cubes.

That commercial is amazing. I don't understand how someone can't like that.

I didn't know it was from Henry V. That helps somehow... now I know it's not just a weird (though obviously well-written) speech they came up with for this commercial for some inscrutable reason. Exactly what it has to do with anything still isn't exactly clear, but like Bodhesatva says, it's an interesting way of distinguishing themselves from the competition.

I hated the guy's voice in that commercial (like, really really hated it), I think I actually have a headache from it now.

Anyways, LBP looks pretty cool.

GodofWine said:
Blood_Tears said:
iron_megalith said:
rudyrsr8 said:
Wow I thought that was kinda a stupid commercial...

What? I though it was a fitting way to describe the PS3.

Specially this part..

"We few, we happy few" (I don't know about happy, but they are few)

Yeah cause 13.5 M is only a few....

Yes, that observation by xbox fans is so so very flawed.

Well you got a point, but considering they are third place atm it kinda hooks to it.

I hope that's not directed at me. I'll tell you know, you'll just be disappointed. :)