By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogamer gives MGO 7/10

IllegalPaladin said:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163694&p=1&sec=REVIEWS

While not 'everyone', 1up did it.

So did IGN.

We've reviewed Half-Life 2 and Episode One in the past and decided to review Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 separately as you can purchase them individually via Steam. You can find the links to all of those reviews directly below followed by our overall thoughts of The Orange Box if you don't care about the individual reviews.

Around the Network

why did they score it seperately

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

BrainBoxLtd said:
IllegalPaladin said:

So did IGN.

We've reviewed Half-Life 2 and Episode One in the past and decided to review Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 separately as you can purchase them individually via Steam. You can find the links to all of those reviews directly below followed by our overall thoughts of The Orange Box if you don't care about the individual reviews.

Those games were already previously scored in the past, so even if they did them seperate, it is a completely different situation here.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
IllegalPaladin said:

So did IGN.

Those games were already previously scored in the past, so even if they did them seperate, it is a completely different situation here.

Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 were previously scored.... How does that account for the three new games (Portal, Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2)?

I think Orange Box is a bad comparison though. Orange Box was a collection of Valve games, some even old. Since no one reviewed the online for Halo 3, Resistance, or Gears of War separately, why should MGS4 get different treatment?

I give this thread a 9.7.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

I don't know, maybe because MGO is talked about as a seperate game that's just included with MGS4?

I'm not really trying to defend Eurogamer or anything, I'm just saying that I agree that MGO hasn't been a great online experience.

IllegalPaladin said:
I don't know, maybe because MGO is talked about as a seperate game that's just included with MGS4?

I'm not really trying to defend Eurogamer or anything, I'm just saying that I agree that MGO hasn't been a great online experience.

It's being somewhat marketed as a different game as well. You're technically getting the MGO "starter pack" with MGS4 and are suppose to buy the rest online. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a separate retail version after they've put out enough DLC to fill a disc.

I think Orange Box is a bad comparison though. Orange Box was a collection of Valve games, some even old. Since no one reviewed the online for Halo 3, Resistance, or Gears of War separately, why should MGS4 get different treatment?

I give this thread a 9.7.

This.

IllegalPaladin said:

The only difference between MGO and any other online component of a game is that Kojima Productions gave the component its own name.  It is still just the online component of MGS4 and not a separate product so they should be considered together.

I give that post a 9.6. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

IllegalPaladin said:
Euphoria14 said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
IllegalPaladin said:

So did IGN.

Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 were previously scored.... How does that account for the three new games (Portal, Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2)?

Did they score TF2, Ep2 and Portal each seperate or did they score all 3 together as 1 score for OrangeBox?

If they did score all 3 seperate, forgive me for my ignorance. :)

Edit - Just clicked the 1up link and realized at the bottom there are seperate links for each game and seperate reviews for each.

My how my ignorance shines in this thread, lol.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!