By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony working to ensure more 80 GB bundles are shipped

Yea these 80gig systems are not going to be around for long nor this bundle if Sony's record to date is anything to base it on.

Around the Network

I need to see american data today, I hope its above 120k.

mM
leo-j said:
Lets hope that it holds off until August then....

8/26

Wasn't that what you posted on youtube with revenge next to it?

What dooes it mean!?!?!?! IM SCARED!!!! *sobs*

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Why does everyone think that Sony is losing money on 80Gb bundle? Even if so, imo they lose on it less than they lose on 40 GB model.
How much do you think they pay Konami? I think that no more than 30 bucks becouse this is what Konami gets for MGS sold seperatly. There is still 70$ left to pay difference between 40GB and 80GB production cost.

Very GOOD.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Good news for the U.S. and several people on the site still looking for a bundle.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Lightning08 said:

Of course it's limited. This bundle will be costing Sony out the ass as they have to buy MGS4 from Konami only to give it away to sell their console. That's fine with 1st party games but with 3rd party games that is not such a good thing. Even the 40GB bundles being sold in Europe and Japan will have a serious toll on Sony's profits.

Wow.. naivety thy name is Lightning08..

1. Price of MGS4

Of course Sony struck a deal with Konami on the price of the bundled software and how many of the bundles they are allowed to sell before a certain milestone is achieved. This is common industry tactics and believe me, the price Sony pays for a bundled copy is way, and I mean _waaaay_ lower than what you think (and also depends on the projected bundle-free software to be expected to sell). Only Sony/Konami could tell you what the limit is and they are certainly never going to reveal this information.

2. Price of Harddisk

The amount of 80G bundles also depends on the amount of 80G harddrives Sony could buy at the time of when the bundling scenario was plotted out. If Sony could only buy, say, 100'000 drives, then they are certainly not going to buy them now on the spot market:

For those who do not know how things happen, here's a phone talk between company A and company S that explains it to you (All names and numbers are only slightly fictional):

S: Hello, Company A, I need to buy 250'000 80G Harddisks

A: That's $25 per drive FOP standard condition

S: Uhh. the fanboys are crying, I need the drives as soon as possible

A: ok, That is $50 per drive in 1 Month

S: Uhhhhh the fanboy on VGC are really upset, I need them tomorrow...

A: ok, That's $105 per drive then

S: <click> Screw vgc fanboys

3. How much money does Sony lose for every hardware unit in _current_ production?

Assuming Sony has ordered all components with standard conditions, then

Manufacturing cost for 40G unit: $350 (-10%/+5%)

Manufacturing cost for 80G unit: $400 (-10%/+5%)

(Do not ask where I got these numbers from. I'm not going to explain them and they are roughly correct)

So
in Japan, Sony loses money on the PS3

in NA, Sony is level

in Europe, Sony is making a profit (_huge_ profit in some countries where 40G sells at $620)

Sony makes money on PS3 in Europe, due to the very strong Euro, and a 80GB version for 100€ mores (about 150$ more), would certainly be profitable.

Sony's strategy in Europe is very strange. Still, they sell here very well so why should they change it.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

darthdevidem01 said:
libellule said:
Bring it to Europe plz !

PS3 could do 100K a week in EU if they brought the 80GB////Seriously SONY!

didnt it already do over 100k in europe?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Of course more bundles are coming ....

IF SONY was only releasing 1 batch of 80gb PS3's they would of told everyone and doubled or tripled the amount in order. The result would be a huge surge in sales as people try to quickly buy the console before it runs out of stock ...

Instead SONY is calling it a "Limited" bundle -- meaning they can discontinue it whenever it a) ceases to sell well enough. b) want to replace it.

Ohh and im guessing SONY pays konami around the same amount konami would get if the game was sold by itself. Ofcourse SONY saves money -> no royalties for themselves, no retail mark-up, no individual packaging, transport costs are already factored in, etc. Bundling 1st party games is ideal. 3rd party games are rarer but if they sell systems then its not that expensive...