By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why call it 'America?'

lmao i love the people who say North and South are one continent. Take geography much?

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

Around the Network

When people say America they are referring to the USA.

When people say the Americas they are referring to North, Central, and South America.

It is just what people do and say. No geographic knowledge needed. Of course common sense says to say the US instead of America but not a lot of people do.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Is this really a discussion? First people are confusing geographic with geological.

Next, continents have two common interpretations.

1. Separation of large geographical regions based on a combination of geological division (tectonic plates, oceans).

2. Geographic identification grouping landmass by means of cultural, political, and geological boundaries.

When you use continent by itself when referring to earth there 7 continents. When you use continent with a qualifier or adjective you can label them however you like (ex. Greater Eurasian Continent).

Either way they are just names of objects to make communication easier. Stop making communication harder.

Lastly, Americas on VGChartz is grouped Americas because it is easier to group most/all of the western hemisphere sales with the United States. It is not refering to a continent but a grouping of regional markets.

It is a label chosen by VGChartz and has no political, social, or geological bearing on the world outside of these forums.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.