By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why call it 'America?'

From Wikipedia
* In English, Central America is considered a region of the North American continent. Geopolitically, it usually comprises seven countries – Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. Mexico, in whole or in part, is occasionally included. Some geographers include the five states of Campeche, Chiapas, Tabasco, Quintana Roo, and Yucatán, together representing 12.1% of the country's total area.
* In Latin America, Iberia, and some other parts of Europe, the Americas are considered to be a single continent, and Central America is considered a region of this continent. In Ibero-America, the region is defined as seven nations – Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama – and may occasionally include Mexico's southernmost region.Geopolitically, Mexico is not considered part of the region.

The Americas are frequently reckoned to comprise two separate continents (North America and South America), especially in English-speaking nations. The Americas may also be reckoned to comprise a single continent (named America), particularly in Latin America and in some European nations.

Around the Network

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It seems that 'America' is interpreted differently depending on which side of the globe you're from, but I get the general idea.

I still think that changing it to 'Americas' as opposed to 'America' would cause less confusion. A flag distinction wouldn't hurt, but I guess more people recognize the US as being the superpower of the west, rather than Canada or Mexico, or even anything further south.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

America means all of the Americas, but the U.S flag is there because thats where most of the sales come from. South American countrys barley contribute to hw and sw sales as most of them are 3rd or 2nd world countries. Thats my guess. Also no one that I know of has a PS3, Wii, or 360 that lives in the Carribean. I went there last summer to visit my family and they still pla yPS2.

They have Wiis in Mexico.. I race people from there all the time in Mario Kart.. Brazil and Peru also.

The continents aren't defined by any hard and fast rule.

In many parts of the world South America and North America are considered two seperate continents in other parts they are considered part of one continent.

Logically they are seperate continents - but logically Europe and Asia are actually one continent (Eurasia). Also if you're going to be purely geographic about it New Zealand is actually the major landmass Zealandia - a nearly submerged continent.

Fantastic yeah?

Around the Network

From Wikipedia
"A continent is one of several large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, but seven areas are commonly regarded as continents – they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1]"

I'm pretty sure that I learned in school that there are 7 continents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

oxford-gamer said:
TWRoO said:
WTF!

"America" means America, not U.S.A.

U.S.A is a country.
America is 2 continents.

ioi is correct when he puts "America" because he means America (compromising all of North and South America).

Well, that does make more sense when you think of it like that.

I guess that the US flag next to the hardware sales threw me off. It'll be more useful if 'America' had like a collective flag, just like how the European Union has one.

Give it a few years when the Amero legislation finally passes once the dollar stablizes at lowetr then Canada rates.

zexen_lowe said:
sc94597 said:
skipo said:
TWRoO said:
WTF!

"America" means America, not U.S.A.

U.S.A is a country.
America is 2 continents.

ioi is correct when he puts "America" because he means America (compromising all of North and South America).

lulz!!

America isn't 2 continents! America is the whole continent divided in 3 parts.

North America = Canada, USA and Mexico

Central America= Belize, guatemala, honduras, panama, costarica etc.

South america = Brasil, Argentina, colombia, venezuela, ecuador etc

Note: Caribbean Islands I dunno if we can count those islands as a division but I think I will count them.

You do realize that North America and South America are two different continents right?

Emm, no, in elementary school they teach you that America is a continent which can be divided in three subcontinents: North, Central and South America. Thats why they sell you maps of the American Continent¡ (Continente Americano, in the top center of the image)

http://www.angelestrada.com.ar/down/rivadavia/RivadaviaMAPAcarta.jpg

Actually it's debatable. The most popular geographical schools of thought fold Central America as a part of North America... and count South America as it's own continent.

I mean, if you count North and South America as one continent I don't see what makes Europe,Asia&Africa different continents.

I kinda buy into the 6 continent theory wih Eurasia considedred one continent, but it might make more sense to partion off continents along cultural as well as geographical lines.

There. More angles to argue this from.

But seriously, why argue further? The most we are going to intellectually gain from this is that there are many ways to define "The Americas", which was quite well established by now. It's clearly not contributing to this site or to this topic either.

I guess it could satisfy the extremely bored, though.

So those European countries that regard the Americas as one continent, do they view Europe and Asia as one continent? Hell, do they regard Europe/Asia/Africa as one super-continent?