By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why call it 'America?'

FightingGameGuy said:
TWRoO said:

lol. Maybe this is right geographically, but most all americans, refer to our country as America, and anything pertaining to it as 'american', probably because any adjective or demonym derived from the 'United States (of America)' is going to be incredibly unweildly. It's also become locked into in our culture by various culturally important phrases/songs such as "God bless America" which sadly isn't mean to bless anyone but ourselves ; ).

Yes, and ioi lives in the UK so he can continue to be accurate and you people can all carry on being wrong.

Around the Network
Rath said:
TWRoO said:
reggie2 said:
Well we are an Island and most of the United Kingdom would rather be independent of Europe anyway in fact I think there are more people here who would rather be part of the United States.....(maybe thats why the Xbox does so well here).....

God save the Queen
and
God bless America

1. eugh no. I like being part of Europe.

2. The UK is an island, but so is New Zealand yet it is still part of Oceania (the rest of Oceania is made of islands though) The Greek islands, Cyprus, Sardinia etc are also part of Europe, Canada has a few huge islands too.

Oceania isn't really a continent to be honest. Australia is a continent in its own right and New Zealand is certainly not attached to it in any way other than proximity. As I said NZ is actually literally on a continent 'Zealandia' if you want to get pedantic and Britain isn't part of Europe. Basically Islands seem to get attached the nearest continent to them in describing the continents even though they don't always share a physical relation with them.

Doesn't that depend entirely on whether you are talking politically or geographically?

Politically NZ is part of Oceania (I am not certain but I think Australasia is only Aus, NZ and the islands North towards Asia, wheras Oceania includes the Pacific islands as well)

Geographically you have to start talking about either borders with the sea, or continental crust. Using the Former then yes you are correct NZ is a seperate "continent" in the same way that every island is therefore a seperate continent.
If you use the difference between continental and Oceanic Crust, then there are only really 2 continents (those being Antarctica and everything else, I think New Zealand may not even be counted in this, and therefore would become 2 of the largest islands in the world along with Iceland)

There is no set definition geographically for the continents, which is why people use the political version with 7 continents.

TWRoO said:
Doesn't that depend entirely on whether you are talking politically or geographically?

Politically NZ is part of Oceania (I am not certain but I think Australasia is only Aus, NZ and the islands North towards Asia, wheras Oceania includes the Pacific islands as well)

Geographically you have to start talking about either borders with the sea, or continental crust. Using the Former then yes you are correct NZ is a seperate "continent" in the same way that every island is therefore a seperate continent.
If you use the difference between continental and Oceanic Crust, then there are only really 2 continents (those being Antarctica and everything else, I think New Zealand may not even be counted in this, and therefore would become 2 of the largest islands in the world along with Iceland)

There is no set definition geographically for the continents, which is why people use the political version with 7 continents.

Actually no not every island is seperate under my definition, the only non-major continents that I can think of are Zealandia and Madagascar. You can see how seperate they are in this picture here (thank you wikipedia);

As you can see Zealandia and Madagascar are continental entities in their own right as far as a strictly geographic sense goes while most other islands are, while seperate from other landmasses, still part of a continent even if some of it is submerged. Iceland and Hawaii are volcanic and not really included.

oxford-gamer said:
TWRoO said:
WTF!

"America" means America, not U.S.A.

U.S.A is a country.
America is 2 continents.

ioi is correct when he puts "America" because he means America (compromising all of North and South America).

Well, that does make more sense when you think of it like that.

I guess that the US flag next to the hardware sales threw me off. It'll be more useful if 'America' had like a collective flag, just like how the European Union has one.

No, for the love of all things loved, no.   A North American Union would be the lethal injection in the arm of the United States.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Rath said:
TWRoO said:

Actually no not every island is seperate under my definition, the only non-major continents that I can think of are Zealandia and Madagascar. You can see how seperate they are in this picture here (thank you wikipedia);

As you can see Zealandia and Madagascar are continental entities in their own right as far as a strictly geographic sense goes while most other islands are, while seperate from other landmasses, still part of a continent even if some of it is submerged. Iceland and Hawaii are volcanic and not really included.

Interesting. I was googling for something like this after I posted but most images were rather vague.

This does show the second thing I mentioned though, because The Americas, Afro-Eurasia and Australia are all joined in that image.... which is what I said (Antarctica and everything else)

I wouldn't mind knowing what the grey areas ae in that image? they are not in the key. And as they are on or near the other forms I would presume they are part of the Continental crust, and therefore join New Zealand to Australia. (And possibly, though not shown, connect South America and New Zealand to Antarctica)

Around the Network

I made a registration just to say this:

You damn bunch of ignorants!

How that “America” just has 2 parts!?

It has 3 parts!

Well…I do not expect you to know, after all you people do not even care about the rest of the world, as long as you can eat Mc Donald’s until l explosion or watch American Idol´s, Why the hell care about the rest?   

Well...you people went to "War" against Iraq and Afghanistan and I bet you people neither know where are those places are, so...I suppose I am asking too much...

Sei said:

It has 3 parts!

Well…I do not expect you to know, after all you people do not even care about the rest of the world, as long as you can eat Mc Donald’s until l explosion or watch American Idol´s, Why the hell care about the rest?

Well...you people went to "War" against Iraq and Afghanistan and I bet you people neither know where are those places are, so...I suppose I am asking too much...

You do realize Rath is from New Zealend and TW is from UK right?

Regardless central America isn't a continent, it's part of North America.

It's not it's continent in any accepted geographical model.  If your school is teaching you differently... you're just in a bad school.

Sei said:

It has 3 parts!

America = 2 continents.
North America
South America

America = 3 geopolitical regions.
North America
Middle America (also referred to as Central of Latin America)
South America

Good job with the first post.  You generalized and displayed as much ignorance as you suggest Americans portray.   This warrants a witty Fail image.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

In American English, America just means the United States. The Americas refers to all of both continents.

I know some people are offended by the term meaning just the US, but its got a long history of use here. We were defining ourselves as American as opposed to English or European during the revolution. That evolved into us calling ourselves Americans and our country America for short. That may not be politically correct, but I don't think we should have to change it after hundreds of years of use.

Sei said:

It has 3 parts!

Firstly most of us aren't American. Secondly the only way you could possibly divide America into three parts is South America, North America and the Carribean. Central America is definitely not a seperate continent under any definition.