By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear spikes PS3 sales - good sign or bad?

PS3 selling 120k this week is a good thing.  But 70k were the special editions that are now gone.  So if you take away those people who special ordered them up front and were obviously waiting for their console, you are left with a pretty average week of 50k.  

So on the one hand the number looks great.  But on the other hand, it looks less promising.  It'll be interesting to see if the number stays up a little bit or if we go right back to seeing 45-60k each week.  

Thoughts?  

EDIT: (Obviously I am talking America here.)

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

we don't really know, lets just wait a few weeks to see what happens. It's probably just a spike and not a long term thing, it might have a small long term effect.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

we will see that in the next couple of weeks

I think Sony really blew it by putting out so few 80gb systems and that the boost would last a good deal longer if there were more available. As it is, I expect numbers to drop down to normal very quickly.

The 80gb deal is available indefinitely & was supply constrained, It will provide an extended boost due to the advantages it holds over the other bundles

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Around the Network

IF Sony provide others ELITE 80gb bundle expect the PS3 to outsold the Xbox360 by +30k in NA alone for 2-4 weeks ...

The expected Xbox360 price cut will of course change the trend ...

Time to Work !

Wait a few weeks to see whether there will be a long term boost, which there should be due to the introduction of the 80GB

@ Munkeh111
There can be no long term boost if the following requirements aren't met:

1) Sony dishes out more AAA games that people really want, thus creating a long term sales for the ps3

2)The 80GB sku is reinstated in the US for good. The OP showed us that these special edition bundles were more than 50% of overall US sales, which implies that it's much more in demand than the 40 GB sku.

3) Sony finally concedes to a price drop. 400$ is still a lot....although maybe not as much as it used to be, but still.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Apparently 80GB MGS$ bundle is permanent for the time being.....its just they are making morr of em as we speak n sending them out.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

the funny thing is the games are selling the ps3 not the hardware itself
xbox360 exactly the same thing
wii visa versa

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.