By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How in the world does MGS only get an 8?

Sky Render said:
There's no way to effectively account for taste. Indeed, the entire concept of giving numeric scores based off of an opinion is a flawed idea at best. Certain games hold higher appeal for certain individuals than others. While MGS4 may well be several peoples' favorite game ever, to others (myself included), the game incites little to no interest. And of course, there's a whole slew of opinions in between those extremes, too. Instead of worrying about what somebody else thinks of a game you like, it's best to just enjoy the game and let others enjoy or dislike it as they wish.

A review is not intended to be a vehicle to change players gaming habits. It's supposed to be a tool used to determine how good a game is for an audience. If someone were to make the magic stealth shooter game, that did everything perfect, you would still not like the game. That is no reason to give it a low score.

Around the Network

Because its far from perfect.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Im here to start a bitch session about them i like that =)

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

We all have opinions. I mean, you expect edge and eurogamer to give it a 10 because ign and gamepro agree? That's like saying we have to give Halo 3 a 10 since Eurogamer, surprisingly, did.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

I see where the OP is comming from... but the review system is completly flawed...

Around the Network

You mean people *gasp* have differing opinions?

Please tell me more of this new and startling development.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

well IGN gave it a 10, so who cares if some small hick town game raters gave it an 8.

Garcian Smith - stop trolling. You completley missed his point and you just jumped at the chance to chime in.

These are supposed to be fairly standardized reviews, especially when coming from allegedly respectable sources. Respectable from the standpoint that they are long established and have a good record for impartiality or at least having very good explanations for their subjective opinions.

Nothing wrong with rating a game lower when the score suits, but if a score is significantly lower than the vast majority of sources, there has to be very good reason to validate the review. If it's personal issues with the game or series, for whatever reason, then the impartial perspective is essentially being thrown out the window.

You may as well be rating games in terms of "I give this game a Batman symbol on a scale of V to 435."

There is no game without its flaws. In almost all the reviews you will see the reviewers pointing them out, even if the game got a 10. Some reviewers think that these flaws are minor, and others think it affects the overall experience and lower the final score. There is no universal standard.

is just a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong in an opinion, just agree-don't agree stance.

I agree with the 8.5 score considering the flaws you see when analyzing this game in detail. But I recommend anyone to play this game for they will have one of the best experiences in gaming