By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Penny-Arcade- interesting note about MGS4 install times

darthdevidem01 said:
@starcraft

but you don't re-install it....WTF are you going on about

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that Metal Gear Solid 4 installs overtop of all previous MGS4 installs; this means that you have to reinstall every time you want to see previous content.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@starcraft

but you don't re-install it....WTF are you going on about

You have to re-install ANY game if you run out of space and have to start deleting them.

But MGS4 has just started what could prove to be a worrying trend.

Not only do you have to install EVERY act as you go, but when you install one act, it OVERWRITES the last one.

That means if you want to go back and play it with friends you'll have to re-install. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@twesterm

no I would still rather have everything in 1 disc....as in my 2nd playthrough or playthrough with friends I don't wanna think

right that bit with EVA, what disc was it on....no I want it all on 1 disc.

OF course, because you'd much rather re-install a game while your friends twiddle their thumbs...........

With 20-80GB of space, not many people will be able to keep their games installed. 

That's why Sony allows you to upgrade the HD up to 250gb at around $100.00.Does Microsoft allow that? or are you forced to buy their $100.00 20 gig HD.lol at you.

@HappySquirel

well I'm sorry but you heard wrong...I have played through previous parts myself..no re-installing is necessary

@starcraft

I have 30GB free space left....I am in no problem....oh n crappy games like GTA 4 will be going out of my house anyway....so that 5GB saced

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@HappySquirel

well I'm sorry but you heard wrong...I have played through previous parts myself..no re-installing is necessary

@starcraft

I have 30GB free space left....I am in no problem....oh n crappy games like GTA 4 will be going out of my house anyway....so that 5GB saced

Well what your saying doesn't tally with THIS thread"

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=29564

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@HappySquirel

@starcraft

Well I guess these people just got a defective version of Metal Gear Solid 4 ( http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=29564 ) or you're full of it

HappySqurriel said:

Well I guess these people just got a defective version of Metal Gear Solid 4 ( http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=29564 ) or you're full of it

That bolded point is an interesting possibility.............

I thought you meant everytime you go through a checkpoint (different parts of each section) it erases

Do you mean between 2 acts...or checkpoints in a given level??

The install are fine and fun little part of the game.

last night it gave me the message "It's now 3am, you must be tired - take a break everynow and then.". and "You have been playing for over 2 hours".

Besides Changing discs take what 30 - 45secs. By the time you change your disc and start loading the new data into ram MGS4 is 50% done installing. Once you start playing the game MGS4 will only be a few seconds slower....

** ohh and starcraft - installs havent used up all my 60gb Ps3's space yet and i own 18 PS3 games - all of them with installs ( even NG:S's optional 3.3gb install) are still on my HDD ... The installs are only an issue for small number of people -- and if your one of those people you should be able to throw a 320gb or 500gb HDD into your PS3 to solve the problem ...

ok..I understand now....this will pose a problem to my plan of showing the best bits of the game to my friends.

Is there now a way to lock a certain install