By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Penny-Arcade- interesting note about MGS4 install times

Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:
Why are people still discussing this? Penny Arcade are wrong! If the game was on DVD9 it wouldn't mean no install times it would mean install from multiple discs.

Why? I mean, you do know why PS3 has more mandatory downloads then 360 right?

It's due to Blu-ray. Without Blu-ray they wouldn't need the download.

Presumeably people are thinking that the game needs install due to the blu-ray readtimes being slower than DVDs.This is false! The read times for a 2*Blu-ray and 12*DVD (DL) are almost the same with the Blu-ray having the sligth advantage.

A slight advantage yet it has way more size. If you can run slightly faster then me it doesn't matter if I only have to run 9 miles and you have to run 25.

I am a bit confused as to why you think this is relavent? The size of the game data isn't going to change just because it is on DVD instead of blu-ray

Around the Network

Truly next-gen hardware.
I'll stick to my PCWii crap.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Saiyar said:
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:
Why are people still discussing this? Penny Arcade are wrong! If the game was on DVD9 it wouldn't mean no install times it would mean install from multiple discs.

Presumeably people are thinking that the game needs install due to the blu-ray readtimes being slower than DVDs.This is false! The read times for a 2*Blu-ray and 12*DVD (DL) are almost the same with the Blu-ray having the sligth advantage.

A slight advantage yet it has way more size. If you can run slightly faster then me it doesn't matter if I only have to run 9 miles and you have to run 25.

I am a bit confused as to why you think this is relavent? The size of the game data isn't going to change just because it is on DVD instead of blu-ray

It will if it's on 2 or 3 DVDs.  The data would be split up so their would be less space to cover. 

starcraft said:
darthdevidem01 said:
ok..I understand now....this will pose a problem to my plan of showing the best bits of the game to my friends.

Is there now a way to lock a certain install

Fiddle around to try and find it, but at this stage it isn't looking like it.

If this becomes a trend for console games, thats just ridiculous.

Lol, if its like this for MGS4, imagine Killzone 2.

I don’t understand why people in this thread argue against you, when is very clear that in chapter 18 verse 20 of your book says “ thou shall not install metal gear solid 4”

All this infidels should be punish

Multiple insalls? really? Thats the silliest thing I've ever heard. Just have 1 big install like on the pc, it saves everyones time in the long run.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:

It will if it's on 2 or 3 DVDs. The data would be split up so their would be less space to cover.

Now i am really confused. Just because it is split up doesn't mean there is less space to cover (it is not like the 360 can read form 3 DVDs at once). 25GB on a BD is the same as 25GB on 3 DVDs.

Saiyar said:
Kasz216 said:
Saiyar said:

It will if it's on 2 or 3 DVDs. The data would be split up so their would be less space to cover.

Now i am really confused. Just because it is split up doesn't mean there is less space to cover (it is not like the 360 can read form 3 DVDs at once). 25GB on a BD is the same as 25GB on 3 DVDs.

The only thing I can think of he might mean is that fact that most Blu-Ray disk games reproduce identical data due to the Blu-Ray disk drive's lower maximum read speed.  Thats why you can have multiplatform games that come on a DVD9 for 360 but take up 15GB of a Blu-Ray disk for PS3.

But he is a bit confusing today, so he may mean something else. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Does anyone know is hd-dvd, b-rays etc, angular speed can be changed with firmware updates? That would be interesting, but it does not means transfers rate could be changed, am just curious

Just goes to show how companies want money so badly and easily that they refuse to think outside of the box or spend the time perfecting the experience before throwing the next "best" format out to consumers. They don't really care about people, just their money, and why try to do something right when you don't have to.

Heh... I never thought of that. As much as people love laughing at a hypothetical 360 version with 6 DVDs, it is still far quicker just to swap out a disc then sit through an install between acts, especially if you have to uninstall/reinstall by playing older saves from previous acts.