By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Star Ocean: Last Hope 360 exclusive

ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Soriku said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
Even IF it is timed exclusive...the game comes out 2009 and by the time they'd want to decide to put it on the PS3 it might be late 2009 or even 2010 before the game even hits the PS3 and it'd be "old".

This is almost the same thing as it being exclusive.

Well, enjoy 360 owners. Though ToV is going to be better than this, so you should invest in that first :P
Lol, saying one game is better than the other before either come out makes no sense at all.

lol I'm just saying that's what I expect. :P Tales of is a better series than SO IMO.

You've played one Star Ocean, you wouldn't know. Which is exactly why you're wrong.

It's more like 200-250K SO4 will sell in Japan

250k is a little extreme, especially with the current 360 install base over there. Right now that would be like a 45% attach rate, not even Blue Dragon did that and it's channeling DQ.

With Star Ocean 3 only doing like 650k with two releases in Japan with the PS2 install base, SO4 is going to have to come on pretty strong. There's also perception. SO2 was percieved as a better game than SO3, which is why it sold more. There was also some bad press for SO3, there was a glitch triggered by older PS2 models that caused a finger pointing match between Enix and Sony. Japanese players are finicky so just being on the 360 will kill some sales. But we don't have too many examples of Japanese franchises going exclusively to 360 to compare it to. I guess Vesperia will be the first guinea pig.

@ClaudeLv250

I don't think Soriku's opinion will change since the one SO game he played is SO2 which is considered to not only be the best game in the series(or was it SO1 that was/is considered best in the series) but also one of the best RPGs on the PS1.

SO3 did get initially negative press in Japan which negatively affect its sales but that was because of bugs.

Edit:In terms of WW numbers, SO3 sold better but if your just talking about Japanese-only numbers, yeah SO2 did sell better

Well Soriku is a Tales fanboy and he's relatively young so his opinion is inferior by default (take that Soriku). Yeah, SO2 is considered best in the series, which it very well is. And I was just talking about SO2 sales, though I do wonder about SO4 worldwide since both Japan and Europe will not be much of a factor.

SO4 will probably do well in the US if there is a decent marketing campaign a la Lost Odyssey.  They might have to port it to the PS3 if they want it to do well in Japan though.  SO3 managed to sell 740K in the US alone which is fairly impressive for a JRPG not called FF or KH.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:

Yeah but dead rising sucks wheile LO is an awesome heavily budgeted game! This explains why M$ is wasting its money securing JRPG "exclusives" when more cheap "dead risings" could easily beat SO3's sales on the PS2. Remember, M$ and sony make money on software not hardware.

Dead Rising is an awesome game and brought something new to the genre with it's sandbox gameplay. 85% on Gamerankings. It's Capcom and got good hype and marketing. (BTW, I'm sure MS will continue to secure exclusive "dead risings" and whatever genre you name, in the future)

LO I'm sure is a good JRPG but it had it's issues and didn't get those great reviews (79%). Also wasn't highly advertized, and got a delayed release in the west. Despite all of this it sold 750,000 copies.

SO4 will be a better game, will get a WW simultaneous release, better marketing, and by the time it's released release X360 fans are used to and have embraced JRPGs = huge success.

The X360 is the RPG-king.

Strategyking92 said:
Pristine20 said:
Strategyking92 said:
Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:

You shouldn't sterotype what genre PS3 and 360 owners prefer. Lost Odyssey sold 700K on the 360. Haze would have done better if it wasn't for the fact that the game was a huge disappointment.

I know it isn't just as clear cut as I seem to have stated. however, I have never come across anyone who owns a 360 and doesn't play FPS games period and I live in the US where the 360 dominates hands down. Gamestop employees even seem to get mad at me for requesting PS3 versions as was the case when I bought COD4 and Condemned 2. There are definitely many 360 owners who don't care for FPS games but I can bet money that they are in the minority. Xbox live is sucessful for polishing the online multiplayer FPS experience.

Would you agree that LO is better than dead rising? If you do, can you explain how dead rising could achieve 1.5 mil sold while LO can't even reach a mil?

Dead Rising is in a genre that is more popular than JRPGs

Yeah but dead rising sucks wheile LO is an awesome heavily budgeted game! This explains why M$ is wasting its money securing JRPG "exclusives" when more cheap "dead risings" could easily beat SO3's sales on the PS2. Remember, M$ and sony make money on software not hardware.

ARE YOU (*^&ING LOOPY? Dead rising was an awesome game.

all you use are you wacky opinions to suggest that xbox gamers like fps's alot. But then again, is that a bad thing? You are trying to bash a genre, and in consequence, bash a console aren't you? Or do you not even know what you are talking about? Have you tried dead rising? If so, did you notice that it also had as high, or higher production values? Alot of questions have been quite unanswered...

Careful with the insults. I have never insulted anyone. Also, everything anyone posts on this forum is their opinion. In my sig, I say that PE2 is the best game of all time. Do you agree? Probably not but it is my opinion. I never said FPS's were bad. I doubt you can beat me on COD4. I only insinuated that 360 fans are more likely to like them.

We're all debating our own opinions, insults are unnecessary.

well, people always say that xbox owners only buy fps's and that we're stupid for playing "repetitive shooting games"

so, hearing that so many times, and seeing that what you were saying was going into that area, I got irritated.

And come on, dead rising is a highly produced, awesome game. It was not low-budgeted. if you had played it, you would not say it is crappy for no reason. (you could've at least said it was a highly-produced piece of ****.)

Understandable. I may be biased towards JRPGs because thats my fav genre and unable to see the merits of Dead Rising (I've seen only gameplay videos of both). 

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

@slimebeast

yet FF13 will outsell all 360 JRPG's put together in week 1

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@slimebeast

yet FF13 will outsell all 360 JRPG's put together in week 1

Of course, the pent up demand for jrpgs for the ps3 will be huge, considering it will be the first worth playing in over 30 months of the console life and unlike IU or ToV the sales won't be diluted by competition, it'll be pretty much the only ps3 jrpg on the shelves.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Quantity over Quality.. yeah, x360 is king in THAT. =)))
Anyway, you can think yourself whatever you want(if that makes you feel better about your purchase), but FFXIII will be a KING. =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
Quantity over Quality.. yeah, x360 is king in THAT. =)))
Anyway, you can think yourself whatever you want(if that makes you feel better about your purchase), but FFXIII will be a KING. =]

I like how ps3 fans downplay the quality of titles that ignore their platform. Just like gamecube fans did when third parties started to abandon ship.

FF13 will only exists in the self-justificatory posts of ps3-only owners for months to come while the rest will be having fun with jrpgs instead - even if they are "low quality" games like star ocean 4, infinite undiscovery or tales of vesperia. Not to mention the western games of course! too human, fable 2, etc... Man, reading that list of awesome games makes my wish I could brag on the forums that I'm waiting for FF13. It's so much better than playing real games.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

low quality - infinite undiscovery
this one is definitely! =))
tales of vesperia - another tales, another good-average jrpg. =)

too human - yeah, i believe this will get something between 6 and 7. =))

Fable 2 - this one might be good one, but probably will be released on PC, i believe, you browsing this site from pc, not from x360? =))

SO4 is too early to say, moreover, probably is not exclusive. So, whatever. =)

that I'm waiting for FF13. It's so much better than wasting time on average games.
i fixed for you. ;)

Anyway, what the problem for you? Are you not happy with your x360? So what the problem here? )) What do you want? You feel insecure?
Because i know, that FFXIII is coming to PS3 - and THAT is all i NEED in This gen. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
low quality - infinite undiscovery
this one is definitely! =))
tales of vesperia - another tales, another good-average jrpg. =)

too human - yeah, i believe this will get something between 6 and 7. =))

Fable 2 - this one might be good one, but probably will be released on PC, i believe, you browsing this site from pc, not from x360? =))

SO4 is too early to say, moreover, probably is not exclusive. So, whatever. =)
that I'm waiting for FF13. It's so much better than wasting time on average games.
i fixed for you. ;)

Anyway, what the problem for you? Are you not happy with your x360? So what the problem here? )) What do you want? You feel insecure?
Because i know, that FFXIII is coming to PS3 - and THAT is all i NEED in This gen. :)

I am disappointed with ps3 only owners trolling the games they wish they could play because the closest thing to a jrpg their console has seen and will see for months to come is crunching folding@home units.

Btw it's fitting that you are a ps3 fanboy, a good game per generation is all you need - and that's exactly what you will be getting.

Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Not trying to throw a low blow or anything Starcraft....but what would you have done if it turned out to be a PS3 exclusive? Honestly rewind and think about what you would have done.

First of all I would have been confused. As we've been over many times, I genuinely saw little potential for the title to be PS3 exclusive. I believed it would be multiplatform.

Given I so obviously wanted the game on the Xbox 360, and thought it would come, it would have been very hard for me to turn around and say "this is a bad game that won't mean anything."

So too answer your question I think I would have said everything about this game I have today if it had been PS3 exclusive. Its just instead of saying these things with a feeling of happiness, I would have been very disappointed.

Starcraft, I never realized you could be a JRPG fan. I thought you just wanted to support the 360 because it was your console of choice. If you are, you've missed tons of classics in the last two gens. Graphics shouldn't be a problem as JRPGs(except FF) aren't too reliant on graphics as a selling point.

The first JRPG I ever played was Kingdom Hearts, but I never got to finish it when my PS2 broke. 

I've really gotten into the 360 JRPG's this generation.  The reasons BC PS3 is important to me is because I own both KH games and can borrow all the FF's from a friend.  If I am forced to pick up an ordinary PS2 rather than a BC PS3, it could be years before I buy a PS3. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS