By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Star Ocean: Last Hope 360 exclusive

Square Enix is still playing coy when talking about its exclusivity deals that concern upcoming RPG titles for the Xbox 360.

In a statement made on Yahoo Japan's financial site, the company affirms that there are no plans to release the just-announced Star Ocean: The Last Hope on the PlayStation 3.

This is of course careful wording -- "no plans" -- because it was quite clear at the Microsoft RPG event earlier this week that there was never any announcement of an exclusive release for the Xbox 360 (unlike the trumpeting of exclusivity for Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery). Star Ocean 4 will launch in 2009 on the Xbox 360; that's it for now.

This game of exclusivity and timed-exclusivity is really getting ridiculous. Sure, it's entirely understandable that Sony and Microsoft both want to get any advantage they can in the current-gen console wars, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a company is hedging its bets in terms of multi-platform releases.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/square-enix-no.html

EDIT: Can someone put the ? behind confirmed.

Still an official statement to a financial website means we can scrap a PS3 version at least for this FY.

Around the Network

Score for the 360. This will probably be one of the best JRPG's of the generation, and I reckon the 360 will have it exclusively for at least a year, if not indefinitely.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Score for the 360. This will probably be one of the best JRPG's of the generation, and I reckon the 360 will have it exclusively for at least a year, if not indefinitely.

I have a feeling this is just as much of an exclusive as Haze and UT3 are to the PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

When the PS3 gets real traction from a real system seller in Japan like FFXIII this will change and Star Ocean will hit PS3 just like the last 2 star oceans hit PS systems. Square is hedging its bets because it isn't sure Sony will be the winner this generation. Once the PS3 shows it's the HD console of choice (probably by the end of the fiscal year in March) that will change.

Also star ocean is a lot different from FFXIII with much simpler graphics and more action based gameplay. There is almost no way to make FFXIII without the blu ray capacity, on the other hand star ocean could easily fit onto 3 or 4 discs. I still bet you its timed exclusive at most especially since star ocean won't make the 360 a success in Japan. The only thing that will make the 360 a success in Japan is Nintendo and Sony leaving the console business abruptly Sega style.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Well this is old news and we should wait a little more. Remember SE only put IU as 360 exclusive.

Around the Network

^^So how is it playing Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey on PS3? By your logic, they should be on it by now.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:

I have a feeling this is just as much of an exclusive as Haze and UT3 are to the PS3.

Still, an official statement means they can't have the PS3 version in the works at the moment, since it's information that can have an effect on the stockmarket value and therefore needs to be correct.
That kind of eliminates the possibilties of a PS3 version anywhere close to the 360 version.

I often wonder if they are hinting for Sony to make some kind of deal to bring it to PS3. If so then it sounds like a smart more on Square Enix part. Who knows if they do the same with Final Fantasy 13. Since the Wii (i wish it wasn't) is blowing the doors off of both HD consoles I believe as time goes on there less reason for third parties to make their game exclusive for PS3 or 360.

I could be wrong but I won't be surprise to learn that FF13 will eventually come out for 360.

noo i want it on the ps3 i don't care about exclusivity just released it on ps3

THis news has been posted 7 TIMES in 7 DIFFERENT threads...

so please LOCK

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey