By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 = BEST Game this Gen - Impressions Thread- *(NO Spoilers)*

besr game ever love MGS4

Be honest with nobody and lie to your self MGS4 best game EVER on ps3 :?!!!!!!!

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Best game this gen? Is it going to even be 9/10 when the smoke settles on reviews?

Are reviews really what decide the "best game this gen?"

As much as I loved Ratchet and Clank Future and wished it hadn't ended when it did... only 3 hours in and so far this game has me hooked.

Saying that... bye.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

@munkeh

& trust me you will REALLY ENJOY it that way...
________

Damn this is embarrassing I'm actually stuck at this really hard bit.....lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I haven't played MGS4 myself, but after playing the three previous parts and watching the reviews, I think the main problem with this game being GOTY is how exclusive is it.

As in inclusive vs exclusive. The point being that it's extremely plot-driven, but understanding anything of the plot requirs playing the entire series first, and even then it gets pretty ridiculous. A lot of people also don't like the ridiculous amounts of cut scenes, and the gameplay is pretty hard to get into.

Definitely GOTY for MGS fans after fanservice, though. =P

Around the Network
largedarryl said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@largedarryl

maybe....cus we have a BOSE surround sound system....one of the best in the business I have heard

The problem with just having a "good" set of surround sound speakers is also how/where they have been hooked up.  I'm saying that the position of the furniture, type of floor, position you are from the audio sweet spot, etc. have a bigger effect than uncompressed audio.  Since you have told me that you think your Bose setup is one of the best you've heard, I'm going to assume that you are not an audiophile.  If this is the case I bet you cannot tell the difference between an MP3 file and an uncompressed equivalent.  So basically you (and myself included) are part of the greater than 90% of people that cannot tell the difference between compressed/uncompressed audio.

I am not arguing that this game has incredible audio, I just think its incorrect to say it is because of the uncompressed audio.

Off Topic:  No doubt, largedarryl, about BOSE.  Being involved in sound reinforcement and recording, I agree that no serious audiophile ever uses BOSE equipment.  The problem is that BOSE is extremely good at marketing mediocre equipment at premium prices.  The general public just eats it up.

Slightly more on topic:  On the other hand, there is a difference between compressed and uncompressed to my ears, but when properly compressed, it is absolutely minimal (and really it has to do with the "feel" of the sound - probably due to the way most compression schemes handle overtones.)

On topic:  As for the game, I'll be getting it soon.  Then I'll have more to contribute.

Words Of Wisdom said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Best game this gen? Is it going to even be 9/10 when the smoke settles on reviews?

Are reviews really what decide the "best game this gen?"

No. Valve has already decided what the best game this gen is.

@Parokki

but the gameplay isn't hard to get into and its brilliant.....thats the really big & welcome improvement.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Crazymann said:
largedarryl said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@largedarryl

maybe....cus we have a BOSE surround sound system....one of the best in the business I have heard

The problem with just having a "good" set of surround sound speakers is also how/where they have been hooked up.  I'm saying that the position of the furniture, type of floor, position you are from the audio sweet spot, etc. have a bigger effect than uncompressed audio.  Since you have told me that you think your Bose setup is one of the best you've heard, I'm going to assume that you are not an audiophile.  If this is the case I bet you cannot tell the difference between an MP3 file and an uncompressed equivalent.  So basically you (and myself included) are part of the greater than 90% of people that cannot tell the difference between compressed/uncompressed audio.

I am not arguing that this game has incredible audio, I just think its incorrect to say it is because of the uncompressed audio.

Off Topic:  No doubt, largedarryl, about BOSE.  Being involved in sound reinforcement and recording, I agree that no serious audiophile ever uses BOSE equipment.  The problem is that BOSE is extremely good at marketing mediocre equipment at premium prices.  The general public just eats it up.

Slightly more on topic:  On the other hand, there is a difference between compressed and uncompressed to my ears, but when properly compressed, it is absolutely minimal (and really it has to do with the "feel" of the sound - probably due to the way most compression schemes handle overtones.)

On topic:  As for the game, I'll be getting it soon.  Then I'll have more to contribute.

I thought BOSE had some OK overpriced speakers (most are crap but some are decent just very over priced). 

On the compressed Audio side it really dependes on the setup.  A badly done Dolby Digital is really bad (most will notice the difference).  DTS is usually done well.  I have not sampled the encode done by the PS3 for DTS or Dolby Digitial so it is hard for me to judge how much of a difference this would make in the game (HDMI PCM vs Bitstream).

Rabid Bunny

darthdevidem01 said:

@THe Kitchensink

lol....I would recommend playing Essential Collection things first as the STORY has dragged me in and along with the nice gameplay & wow factor of what amazing thing will you see next has kept me going for 6 hours.

So get MGS4 even next year if you need (after playing essentials) to as I feel, you will feel feel MGS4 is a brilliant game, just like COD4 is a brilliant shooter and so on, but you won't appreciate the story which is like the icing on the cake.

From a story point so far, MGS1 and MGS2 would be nice before playing 4.  But from a gameplay point of view, HELL NO.  Jumping from MGS1 to MGS4 would be like playing to two different almost unrelated games.  So much has changed from MGS1 that you would get frustrasted fast in 4.  Not saying that game mechinacs are not good in both games but I feel like that they almost at two different end of the spectra.  The one thing that seems to have carry over is the crawl function.  MGS1 = Quick and easy to pick up game controls.  MGS4 = Oh my god, where the hell is the manual for this thing.

OT, from the sound, cinematic,, and presentation, it is the best I have ever seen.  But this so far for me, the story is about to be another "Kojima rant" classic.  Sigh, I guess I can deal with getting lectured to, if it mean I can get to the crux of the story.  It would have been nice if he used some tricks from Uncharted, COD4, and Bioshock though to keep game flow going though.

I'm just saying...