By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 = BEST Game this Gen - Impressions Thread- *(NO Spoilers)*

I put 4 solid hours into it once I brought it home earlier today. I'm taking a break now and will probably continue after I've had some rest and something to eat.

I'm just starting the second act, but mainly I need to try to get used to the sneaking and my options in combat because getting spotted means some problems for quite a while after (Solid Normal difficulty).

I'm probably going hook it up through the 5.1 surround sound when I play it again so the action will be even more intense.

*edit*

The mission briefs are pretty sweet with how you can watch the cut-scene normally, view different areas or even control the Metal Gear Mk 2 at the same time the cut-scene is happening. Also, the tips that pop up while the game is installing data is kind of humurous (they range from warnings about not playing too long to warning about the danger of smoking).

Around the Network

having read through the thread it is obvious this is a special game.
my avator will tell you which console i own so i wont be getting to play it.

i am glad this game seems to have lived up to the hype i remember the same feeling when gears came out.

anyway enjoy it ps3 owners who knows maybe next year with a few more games like this such as killzone and rfom and a little price cut i may start looking at getting another console. after all why not have the best of both worlds.

NJ5 said:

"the uncompressed sound quality seriously shows"

Either you're one of the very rare people who can tell the difference between uncompressed and (correctly) compressed sound, or it's just your fan goggles working in favor of the audio ;)

Anyway, what matters is that you're happy with the game and that's great!

IGN could definitely hear the difference and said the sound was amazing in their earlier playthroughs. 

Words Of Wisdom said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Best game this gen? Is it going to even be 9/10 when the smoke settles on reviews?

Are reviews really what decide the "best game this gen?"

Exactly.  I knew there would be something of a consensus here that MGS4 is better than GTAIV.  Puts the lie to the game rating system in general.  None of y'all got free goodies from either company, or have a customer base to worry about, right?

I was gonna wait till the weekend to buy this game, but upon hearing some of these comments im heading out to the mall right now!

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

maybe....cus we have a BOSE surround sound system....one of the best in the business I have heard

err...BOSE and best in the same sentence...

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

im in chapter 2(beginning) and thus far the game is AMAZING

the fight with the frogs was the illest thing ever

Epic fail. This is not the best game of this generation. It will be Ghostbusters. Fuck you PS3 homo.

Spectrumglr said:
darthdevidem01 said:

maybe....cus we have a BOSE surround sound system....one of the best in the business I have heard

err...BOSE and best in the same sentence...

Hey, Bose was king... in 1989.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Played for 5 hours...

It IS the best game I have EVER played, no question.

Off to play again.

MGS4!