By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 = BEST Game this Gen - Impressions Thread- *(NO Spoilers)*

I just finished the game about an hour ago, after buying it on the 13th.

When I first started, I was amazed by graphics, sound, the cinematics and all. However, I found the gameplay difficult, and aiming and such was hard to get used to, and realized I had to play the game a different way then how I played in the past games.

By the end of Act I and onwards though, I was absoultly loving it. I loved how it was a massive thing, spreading over the world, not just an isolated base on an island. The graphics overall were some of the best I've ever seen, the gameplay was by far the best of the series, and every cutscene seemed like a reward for the work I had just done. I had huge hopes, I didn't think it was possible to live up the hype, but somehow they pulled it off.

Overall, My favourite game this gen so far, maybe all time. I will not make that statement yet though, because I have to make sure that once the high wears off from this game, it still feels the same.

But overall:

MGS 4 - 9.8 (Some lame dialogue and unnecessary story things, hardly a big deal at all though)

MGS 1 - 9.5 (Started it all, brilliant game, just has outdated elements)

MGS 2 - 8.8 (Had massive hype, managed very well, just had some annoying Raiden and Rose stuff, and some unnecessary story stuff)

MGS 3 - 9.0 (Seemed like classic MGS, very well made and had better boss battles, but some just plain horrible dialogue at parts and story was amazing, but it feels a bit underwhelming playing a prequel)

After the controversy about reviews and such before the release of the game, I am very happy to see how good of a story Metal Gear Solid 4 has turned into.

Around the Network

this game does have an amazing story

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

makingmusic476 said:

If his girl didn't follow him wherever he went, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Glad he left her, lol. Though after all the trouble they went through, I have to say I was surprised it happened.

The "favorite movie" part pretty much killed any chances of me liking either character.

Sometimes Kojima does postmodern and it works. Other times, not so much.

I think we can all agree where the "Jack and Rose" bits falls in that scheme.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Aj_habfan said:

I just finished the game about an hour ago, after buying it on the 13th.

When I first started, I was amazed by graphics, sound, the cinematics and all. However, I found the gameplay difficult, and aiming and such was hard to get used to, and realized I had to play the game a different way then how I played in the past games.

By the end of Act I and onwards though, I was absoultly loving it. I loved how it was a massive thing, spreading over the world, not just an isolated base on an island. The graphics overall were some of the best I've ever seen, the gameplay was by far the best of the series, and every cutscene seemed like a reward for the work I had just done. I had huge hopes, I didn't think it was possible to live up the hype, but somehow they pulled it off.

Overall, My favourite game this gen so far, maybe all time. I will not make that statement yet though, because I have to make sure that once the high wears off from this game, it still feels the same.

But overall:

MGS 4 - 9.8 (Some lame dialogue and unnecessary story things, hardly a big deal at all though)

MGS 1 - 9.5 (Started it all, brilliant game, just has outdated elements)

MGS 2 - 8.8 (Had massive hype, managed very well, just had some annoying Raiden and Rose stuff, and some unnecessary story stuff)

MGS 3 - 9.0 (Seemed like classic MGS, very well made and had better boss battles, but some just plain horrible dialogue at parts and story was amazing, but it feels a bit underwhelming playing a prequel)

After the controversy about reviews and such before the release of the game, I am very happy to see how good of a story Metal Gear Solid 4 has turned into.

Bolded:

I have huge problems with this type of attitude.

It's like saying that 12 Angry Men lacks panache because it was filmed in the 50s and in black and white and nobody swore and nobody died.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

the best game of PS3 maybe, but not the best game of the generation...

Around the Network

The game definitely lived up to the hype.There was plenty of variation in the gameplay and the controls wer pretty easy to get a hang of.The only complaint I have is the ending which was quite bad IMO,but act 4 alone was good enough for me to love this game.Overall it was simply superb.

Id rate the games MGS1>MGS4>MGS2=MGS3

To quote my friend.

"Why can't every game be this good?"

Yes

Is Raiden a playable character at any parts of this game, or do you only play as Snake?

I have to say....Act two is simply majestic....and its still not over!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

A masterpiece? Yes. Best game this generation? No.