By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people call the 360, JRPG console this generation?

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

The logic was right, but still flawed. Sony would have instantly announced the game if it was on their platform but Microsoft would have waited? Flawed. The game would be hyped then announced by Microsoft? Flawed, there was virtually no hype for the game. So what I can watch it on my PSP, SE/Tri-Ace totally intended on me watching it on my Zune. Flawed. The PS3 has shown no ability to show JRPGs even though pretty much none were released. Flawed. Your logic was flawed, but right.

What I'm saying is Tombi's logic could be right, even if flawed. You were right to make assumptions.? Assumptions make an ass out of you and me. Ass u me. No, he said getting a 360 for JRPGs this generation is very foolish. Because you assume the 360 will be the JRPG king this generation. Quit quote mining. You took that part out of context.

I clearly wasn't using retard in that way. It's kind of like how words can have a double meaning. I could still be insulting people without insulting actual mentally challenged people...but I will respect your wishes.

Logic cannot be flawed and right at the same time.  Thats a definitional paradox.  The only games website I visit is this one.  There were 5 or 6 threads on SO4 in the few days after someone brought the game up, and Sony fans savaged me at the mere suggestion the game could go multiplat.  Thats a fair bit of hype.

At the end of the day why did MS announce the game on June 10?  To interupt the MGS4 release with an announcement a game tonnes of Japanese gamers have wanted for ages will be 360-exclusive.

You attack me for quote-mining, but also say I said SE/Tri Ace intended my to watch the trailer on my Zune?  At the end of the day the trailer thing was your flawed logic, not mine.  Countless people in that thread told me the game was almost certainly PS3 exclusive, and couldn't POSSIBLY be 360 exclusive if the trailer was on the PSP.  They were wrong.

At the end of the day the PS3 HASN'T shown an ability to sell JRPG's.  That doesn't stop being fact just because no good JRPG's are out on the system.  In fact thats even worse, because it further minimises the likelihood large numbers of JRPG fans own the console.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Everyone's trying to justify their purchase. I still don't understand this newly discovered love for JRPGs that everyone now seems to have because none of the JRPGs not published by S-E showed any impressive numbers last gen. Perhaps that is why they are few and far between this time around. "Scarcity increases demand" might be an explanation or maybe people just need more fuel for the console war.

I don't get it either.  It's like people have been blind to JRPG...except this generation, when it's coming to their console of choice.

Dno said:
rocketpig said:
Jordahn said:
Isn't Folklore a Japanese action/rpg on the PS3???

Folklore is about as much RPG as Twilight Princess. It shouldn't even be in a JRPG conversation. It's an action adventure game.

Your wrong folklore was an awesome RPG u leveled up and so did your monsters... is pokemon a RPG? i think so

Yep, folklore gives you plenty of choices like an RPG.  Sometimes you can go left and other times you can go right.

I give that post a 9.1. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

OK so I see some people have taken my "getting a 360 for JRPG's is very foolish" quote completely out of context. What I meant was, if you can only afford one console for JRPG's, getting a 360 now is foolish, you are better off waiting a while longer". I will edit my first post now.

THIS WAS NOT AN ANTI-360 TROLL THREAD.

The fact of the matter is that people are sick of waiting. You can see their posts right here on VGChartz. Its not wait a little longer, its wait another year at least. And they have already been waiting for 1.5 years.

I respect your opinion, but I can give you a truckload of reasons why the 360 is more likely to have the most JRPGs this generation. Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, but all the early indications are showing this. One of which is that Square Enix, the biggest Japanese developer and publisher of JRPGs is already siding with the 360 (the indirect statement is that they can no longer afford not to publish or develop on the 360).

And as much as people would like to think that Microsoft paid through their noses, this was a mutual agreement. I wouldnt be surprised if Square Enix approached Microsoft. They need the wider exposure in the Western market and to make their development cycles more efficient. Its not a coincidence that once MS got involved, we are starting to see alot more simultaneous releases. MS is sharing their resources (marketing, distribution, development staff and tools) with the Japanese, and ultimately, this is good for the gamer, which should be the whole point the first place.

Around the Network

It wasn't taken out of context, you worded it poorly. Let's not confuse the two.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Profcrab said:
Dno said:
rocketpig said:
Jordahn said:
Isn't Folklore a Japanese action/rpg on the PS3???

Folklore is about as much RPG as Twilight Princess. It shouldn't even be in a JRPG conversation. It's an action adventure game.

Your wrong folklore was an awesome RPG u leveled up and so did your monsters... is pokemon a RPG? i think so

Yep, folklore gives you plenty of choices like an RPG. Sometimes you can go left and other times you can go right.

I give that post a 9.1.

Wait a minute, JRPGs are supposed to give me choices to make?  All of mine must be broken.

Tbh, this is about the 40th topic (slightly exaggerated I know) allready I read which goes on about or is relkated to the fact that Microsoft bought some exclusive titles for the Xbox 360. I think the whole point is, that last generation PS2 was king over all other systems. That's why almost all JRPG's went to that system. This generation every console will have a decent userbase, so it is to be expected that JRPG`s will be divided over all systems and can be bought if developers see that there is a huge userbase that possibly waits for JRPG's. Still, I feel that they can way better results if they don't keep titles exclusively on their system.

Just don't make out more out of the news than there is. 360 ain't king and nor will your beloved PS3 be left without JRPG's. Allthough you'll probably have to wait a while before you'll get a releasedate on Final Fantasy XIII or Versus. So if you want JRPG sooner you'll be better off with 360 probably. But hey, with over 1 year advantage, what did you expect?

Godot said:
At the end of the generation, there won't be a king of RPG.

PS3 will have FFXIII and FFXIII versus which will be 2 really high quality games.

Wii will have a lot of niche Japanese RPG and possibly some big titles as well (Kingdom Hearts 3 maybe).

Xbox360 will have a lot of quality games completely forgotten by the public as the games will have abyssal sales.

In the end, a big fan of JRPGs will need to buy the 3 consoles. As not a lot of Japanese will buy a 360 and most 360 gamers don't care about JRPG, the sales on 360 will remain bad.

hahahah so true lol

tombi123 said:
OK so I see some people have taken my "getting a 360 for JRPG's is very foolish" quote completely out of context. What I meant was, if you can only afford one console for JRPG's, getting a 360 now is foolish, you are better off waiting a while longer". I will edit my first post now.

THIS WAS NOT AN ANTI-360 TROLL THREAD.

How is "getting a 360 for jrpgs is very foolish" anything but trolling?  Out of context doesn't matter in this case.  You stated one thing and now you say you mean another.  Why edit the post at this point?  The thread is a mile long.  If I want to play JRPGs right now, and I do, the 360 is my best bet.  Will that change?  Maybe.  But for now and at least another year, I'm good to go.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.