By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People really need to buy this game. It's just so much win. No More Heroes.

There was too much focus on the "driving around the city" complaints--and that's an incredibly minor part of the gaming.

It's an awesome title and it's fun to play. Plus, in the States, it's only $30 now at Target. I suggest all serious Wii gamers should check it out. The Wii could use the good show of hardcore support.

Also, there are two articles online deconstructing No More Heroes and showing that it is essentially one of the smartest games of this generation so far with it's subtle editorial on gaming and gamers. It makes the game THAT much better.

Around the Network

It's definitely worth a look, but considering how repetitive and mundane some of the tasks get and the completely lifeless city (some say it's a minor part, but a interactive world goes a long way towards stretching the legs of this game).

It's not a fantastic game, and it certainly doesn't live up to the potential nor the hype it gained due to Killer 7's merits, but still worth a look and a purchase, you just have to understand that outside of it's wacky sense of humour and art style, it's a very unpolished experience. Control scheme is cool, but it doesn't help when almost everything outside of a boss battle is so "meh".

May sound like I'm being harsh, and I probably am, but this game was put on a pedistal by the Wii Fanboys as the first true AAA 3rd party game that isn't a port and it fell way short of that. On the other hand, the light-gun esque UC was given much less hype and was much more well received.

That game rocked. Yea the repetitive tasks were a drag but it was worth it to get to the fun parts.

Resident_Hazard said:
There was too much focus on the "driving around the city" complaints--and that's an incredibly minor part of the gaming.

It's an awesome title and it's fun to play. Plus, in the States, it's only $30 now at Target. I suggest all serious Wii gamers should check it out. The Wii could use the good show of hardcore support.

Also, there are two articles online deconstructing No More Heroes and showing that it is essentially one of the smartest games of this generation so far with it's subtle editorial on gaming and gamers. It makes the game THAT much better.
 hey, could you point me to those articles by any chance? I would love to read them, if you don't remember exactly where they are, any clues to go on to help me find them? I catch alot of interesting references in there, but I'm sure I'm missing alot that's going on, and I would love to read a deconstruction of the game. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Tormod said:
Overrated game is overrated. Brought into the internet hype, and, as expected, it turned out to be another mediocre game with a few good points that people exaggerate to get others to waste their money. What a load of bullshit.

Yep, you've really gotta stop listening to people talk about games soon after they get them.  They're always full of hype on the game.  Wait a month or so for when it's been sitting around collecting dust for a while and ask them how it was for a more solid opinion.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Tormod said:
Overrated game is overrated. Brought into the internet hype, and, as expected, it turned out to be another mediocre game with a few good points that people exaggerate to get others to waste their money. What a load of bullshit.

Yep, you've really gotta stop listening to people talk about games soon after they get them. They're always full of hype on the game. Wait a month or so for when it's been sitting around collecting dust for a while and ask them how it was for a more solid opinion.

I totally agree with that. The fact that I still think this game is the shit four months after beating it says to me that it's a keeper.  I won't lie, the game is unpolished as hell. It reeks of a low budget, but the brilliance contained in it's crude package can't be overlooked. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I'll get it the same way I am getting Wario Ware Smooth Moves and Super Paper Mari: on ebay for $15. Usually I only buy multiplayer games and games I am really hyped about new.

I picked this game up couple weeks ago and the boss battles were great. I loved the last battle with the real ending. It was awesome, but seriously the overworld was just hard to look at. It hurt my eyes and havin to do all those missions all the time to gain money to enter the next rank match felt tedious and was boring. (still i would be very excited for a sequel that hopefully fixes these problems)

CAL4M1TY said:
It's definitely worth a look, but considering how repetitive and mundane some of the tasks get and the completely lifeless city (some say it's a minor part, but a interactive world goes a long way towards stretching the legs of this game).

It's not a fantastic game, and it certainly doesn't live up to the potential nor the hype it gained due to Killer 7's merits, but still worth a look and a purchase, you just have to understand that outside of it's wacky sense of humour and art style, it's a very unpolished experience. Control scheme is cool, but it doesn't help when almost everything outside of a boss battle is so "meh".

May sound like I'm being harsh, and I probably am, but this game was put on a pedistal by the Wii Fanboys as the first true AAA 3rd party game that isn't a port and it fell way short of that. On the other hand, the light-gun esque UC was given much less hype and was much more well received.

I always thought that Santa Destroy was supposed to be a deteriorating, nutty pseudo-city on the Mexican border populated with lowlifes, dropouts and the like.  Thus the lifelessness actually fit the overall mood of the game. Or maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

The driving never bothered me, because you could screw around with the Schpeltiger to bide some time while looking for the next job. I never managed to boost-jump over three cars at once, though.

I actually liked the menial jobs, especially the Scorpion one for some reason - maybe it's because you could actually die in that job, I dunno.

The standard fighting got boring only a handful of times (too much mooks with overloaded HP), but for most of the time it was entertaining, even if the control scheme was limited. If you're getting bored while crushing enemies with a psychopathic wrestling Jedi, there's something wrong with you IMO.

And the boss fights were some of the best I've ever seen in a video game - except the real final boss which was really tedious just because of the boss's ludicrous stamina and really predictable attack pattern. But then again, that's a common problem with almost every modern brawler, so meh.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

I´m ranked 3rd on the UAA list and playing it on mild. I´ll definitely replay on bitter once I finish it. The only big drawback is that there is practically no interaction at all in the game.

I really enjoy all the jobs and assassination jobs, some of them are really difficult. I always aim for gold rank. The free missions though are by far the most entertaining ones. Buying and finding fancy punk and otaku clothes, finding all wrestler cards in order to fill your room with anime junk is definitely on the positive side. The game never bored me nor did I find it repetitive. Every now and then I found out a new technique. Riding through  Santa Destroy with the booster is also really fun.